Clutch Slave Cylinder (dunno)

Travizzle21

:
1990 mx5
I've been reading around and it seems that in most things I've read, people mention their clutch slave cylinder and how many times they've had to replace it. I dont know how many times, if any, the one on my car has been changed. Are their some signs to watch for, hinting whether or not there is a problem? Just curious.

If the clutch cylinder is failing, shifting into gears may become more difficult as the clutch doesn't fully disengage. Furthermore, you may hear a slight grind going into some of the gears.

It is a little tough shifting, but no grinding or anything. Ima change the turret oil this weekend and see if it helps the shifting. If it turns out it is the cylinder, would it be too late to just flush it?

Last edited:
It is a little tough shifting, but no grinding or anything. Ima change the turret oil this weekend and see if it helps the shifting. If it turns out it is the cylinder, would it be too late to just flush it?

yeah... flushing just puts new fluid in a leaky cylinder...

A new slave cylinder costs about 30 bucks and takes about an hour to install (for a novice), 20 mins if you've been there before.

having a friend there to bleed the system after you've changed it is extremely helpful.

Failed in my 95 last year at about 68k miles. I never flushed the lines, so i think it's partially my fault...the car just sits unless its really nice outside. It was easy as fcuk to change....I bled it myself with some tubing and a jar....i was SOOOOO happy it wasn't my clutch!!!!

Back