How To: Wire TurboXS Knocklite Protege, Protege5, MP3, Mazdaspeed

808MP5

Contributor
:
GT3076R Pro5
Not sure if this is worthy... But since no one else was able to help me to figure it out... I DID...

No Pictures Needed... I installed this on my protege5 but im sure this goes for all 3rd generation protege's including speed and mp3

Wiring Instruction:
TurboXS Knocklite and stock knock sensor wiring

TurboXS black wire = ground to chassis
TurboXS red wire = ignition controlled positive wire
TurboXS orange wire = PIN 48 on ECU (lavender/grey wire)
TurboXS white wire = PIN 59 on ECU (red wire)

Very simple install... should take less than 30min
the only thing i had to experiment with is finding the stock knock sensor signal wire... could of been either pin 57 or pin 59 which are taped together near the ecu... at first i tried pin 57 since it was the wire connecting to the stock knock sensor red wire and pin 59 was connected to the stock knock sensors black wire... ran it for a week and the knock lite wouldn't come on except when it was time to shift (green light)... just switched it last night to pin 59 and I got some knock (amber light) around 5500rpm... so that confirms that the stock knock signal is comming from pin 59 of the ecu...

Configuring the knocklite can be done by following the included instructions that are packaged with the TurboXS knocklite.

I purchased mine from Ken at PG.

Do you guys know if my 99 1.6L has a knock sensor? I've been looking all over for the answer... no luck so far.

Well, I got my answer. I found the hole where one might install a knock sensor... looks like the 99 Pro DX 1.6L didn't qualify for knock sensor treatment. Well, mine needs one for what's coming (T25, FMIC, etc)... so I got one, bought DubbyDoo's old one. So, now I am waiting for the Knocklite to show up. Let's hope that eBay seller ships quick... It looks like there is only one wire coming out of the knock sensor... which makes sense to me. The knock sensor is supposedly just a glorified mic... and if you have one wire out of the knock light... and it's fastened to the block... use the block as the ground source and you've got a circuit. Anyone want to confirm that for me? Just thinking in type.

Last edited:
:)

i didn't even realize this thread existed and it's been two years since i've installed the KnockLite... It's Still Running Strong

What kind of readings do you get? How often does it knock?

What kind of readings do you get? How often does it knock?

It all depends on how well you tune the sensor. You can adjust the sensitivity. If I punch it hard and hit high rpms I'll get some slight knock. Although it's not physically audible. The knock sensor will light amber.

Yea I was just wondering how well it was workin for you. Thanks man!

So..knock's are bad you dont want to see that light do you? What are you guys doing to fix the problem so it doesnt knock? is this light for tuning purposes?

Knock is bad. Well as an aid in tuning. Possible if the knock sensor is configured properly ie. Not to sensitive and not sensitive enough. As for knock there could be multiple causes. From a tuning point of view it would have to do with the advancement of timing. Possible solutions would be higher octane fuel. From a tuning point of view I would think the solution to knock would be to retard ignition timing. The way I dealt with it was to install a J&S knock guard. Also run a safe boost pressure ie. 10psi or less with supporting mods.

Yes you ^do not want to see the light. Worst case scenario is a blown motor. The light is probably more of a visual aid. See the light let go the gas.

Last edited:
The light is not to help me tune, its in case I get a bad batch of gas or something, I know to let off if she starts blinking. Timing is set on the dyno with a professional knock metering device.

Back