Rear Washer fluid no-go

:
Black Mica P5
My rear washer fluid won't come out.

I know it's cold and the line might just be frozen, but it's warmed up at least a couple of times and still nothing. I can hear the pump going when I hold it down to spray.

Filled the fluid to the brim as well.

Anyone know how a fix for this?

I believe there are two pumps (Montgomery Mazda Parts catalog shows otherwise though.) I know I had warranty work on a pump to fix the same issue you are describing.

BTW...I typically hear the pump when initiating the front wipers/washer, but not the rear.

Last edited:
I believe there are two pumps (Montgomery Mazda Parts catalog shows otherwise though.) I know I had warranty work on a pump to fix the same issue you are describing.

BTW...I typically hear the pump when initiating the front wipers/washer, but not the rear.
odd. I can hear it trying to work when I engage the rear washer. Not sure if the sound is similar to the one with the front pump, but I'll check.

The shop manual and wiring diagrams show two washer motors. They are on the washer fluid tank on the fender side. If standing by the right wheel the rear washer motor is on the left, according to the drawing. It has a fuse but if you hear it running the fuse is good. The pump could still be bad.

Disconnect the hose for the rear washer and see if fluid runs out of the motor when the washer switch is on. If it does the problem is the hose or the nozzle.

Clifton

Last edited:
Turn your tires as if to turn left a bit and then remove the plastic screw-clips holding the plastic around the wheel-well on the passenger side. I believe there is also a metal screw under the car screwed into the bumper. Pry the plastic open and look inside with a flashlight. You may find your hose unplugged or maybe a cut in the hose. Have someone actuate the pump and maybe you'll find something. Maybe fluid shooting out of a cut or air bubbles getting in via a cut...
Look for any friction between the tube and anything else. I had a problem last year where my pump didn't actuate at all. Bought a new pump only to find that a wire going to the pump was seriously worn due to friction.

If that looks good, maybe the rubber hose popped-off the opposite end inside the hatchback door? Maybe keep actuating it and see if fluid drips inside the door?? I dunno...

Back