Programming Auto-Lock Function CX-9

Does anyone know how to program the auto lock function on a 08 CX-9. Or the dealer is the only one that can do it.(uhm)

thank you

no. Automatic locking of the doors when you reach a certain speed isn't availabe on our cars(yes, unbelievable I know for a $30-40K car especially since POS rental cars I rented 10 years ago had this function not to mention all the vehicles I have owned in the last 10 years, but don't get me started, yes I know not everybody likes it but all the cars I owned could have it disabled as well either through the center console settings or at the dealer).

The autolock function referred to in the manual is the locking of the doors if you have the advanced key and you walk away from the vehicle.

Last edited:
Mine doesn't lock when I walk away from the vehicle with the advanced key. I remember reading something abou the dealer doing this for someone, is that the case?

Make sure that's what's most convenient for you. I found it aggravating that I could never get into my CX-9 when it was in a locked home garage unless I had the fob with me. So I had had the dealer turn it off. If I want it locked or unlocked, I just push the button on the door handle. For me, it's less hassle.

Last edited:
That sounds like it'd be quite annoying to me. And I'd always be wondering if the car really locked.

Pushing a little button just ain't that hard

I have it on for more than 8 months now. I love it.
You have to learn to deal with it. When I park my CX9 in garage,
I open the door, step away as far as possible such that my right hand still can touch the door edge, and then close it. The SmartKey only has a range of 3ft, it can't detect the sequence of action, therefore, no auto-locking. (no beep)

It is quite useful when you have you hands full when leaving your CX9.
Hear the beep, and walk away. i.e. you (at least, I) can learn to let it lock or not easily.
If you know how it works, you can control it (by fooling it) if you want to.

Dealer will mostly likely turn it on for free. Should you decide to turn it off again, they might charge you!

Last edited:
Will the autolock work when after the automatic hatch closes and I'm not there?

For example, right now when I press the power hatch to close (GT model), I've to wait for it to completely close before I can press the lock button to lock the vehicle. At times when it is raining and snowing, it is a pain to wait the 7-8 secs for it to close completely. I know I could have just pull it down manually, but I paid like $3k more to get the powered hatch option, so I darn well am going to use it.

All doors/hatches need to be closed, and you need to be within 3 plus/minus feet for the first recognition beep. After that you can walk away and it will close. Sorry for the bad news for your situation.

It keeps you from walking away from your car and having the liftgate reverse without you knowing, leaving the car wide open and unattended.

As I said above, in general, I love auto-lock after I learned its pros and cons.
There are situations when you merely want to step away from the vehicle temporarily w/o having it locked because there may still be passengers in the vehicle. The auto-lock is dumb enough to lock the vehicle anyway. It should be able to pick up the passenger sensor input of the front passenger seat.
It is not capable of doing that. It is a pity.
I remember one time, it locks with my kids in it. My daughter tried to leave the vehicle by openning the door from inside, the alarm went off.

The solution is to do one of the following
- leave the key with the passengers
- don't close the door completely
- (as I said above) step away from the vehicle as far as you can while your fingers still can reach the door and close it so that the SmartKey cannot sense it at the moment the door is closed.

Anyway, once you can live with that "stupidity", the pros could out-weigh the cons. Just FYI.

As I said above, in general, I love auto-lock after I learned its pros and cons.
There are situations when you merely want to step away from the vehicle temporarily w/o having it locked because there may still be passengers in the vehicle. The auto-lock is dumb enough to lock the vehicle anyway. It should be able to pick up the passenger sensor input of the front passenger seat.
It is not capable of doing that. It is a pity.
I remember one time, it locks with my kids in it. My daughter tried to leave the vehicle by openning the door from inside, the alarm went off.

The solution is to do one of the following
- leave the key with the passengers
- don't close the door completely
- (as I said above) step away from the vehicle as far as you can while your fingers still can reach the door and close it so that the SmartKey cannot sense it at the moment the door is closed.

Anyway, once you can live with that "stupidity", the pros could out-weigh the cons. Just FYI.

Just FYI--my Cadillac STS and C6 Corvette have "SmartKeys" too, and they also lock the passengers in if I get out and shut the door, fob in pocket.

We're all spoiled. I yell at the TV remote for not changing the channels fast enough sometimes. How quickly we forget the days of getting up and turning the dial. My first 6 vehicles didn't even have power windows or locks, let alone remote anything, and I somehow managed. I think we all need to remember how fortunate we all are just to have the luxuries we all enjoy now. Myself included.

I think even with the Smart Key I would opt for pushing the button to lock and unlock. Then my wife maintains the habit of having the remote in her hand, ready to push the panic button if need be. With it in her purse, she wouldn't have time to get it out and set the horn off if someone was approaching her in a dark parking lot. I hope everyone's wife locks the doors as soon as they enter, also. That's why I don't like the engine start auto lock. As they are now, when you turn the car off, all of the doors unlock, leaving you vulnerable. If they would lock the car when you start it, but leave it locked when you turn it off, that would be better. They could even incorporate that into the smart key memory, so only your wife has that extra safety feature, and not you.

This thread demonstrates why they can't make a perfect car, though.We all have different ideas of how things should work. Some want more convenience, some, like me, are more safety minded.

That said, writing to Mazda can help, for future designs. I'd like to see manufacturers accept owner surveys before redesigning cars, but since the next CX9 is already designed, our input would have to be for generation 3. Personally, I only have 2 or 3 small changes I'd like to see. Overall I love this car.

Anyhoo.........

I hope everyone's wife locks the doors as soon as they enter, also. That's why I don't like the engine start auto lock. As they are now, when you turn the car off, all of the doors unlock, leaving you vulnerable. If they would lock the car when you start it, but leave it locked when you turn it off, that would be better.

Your CX-9 unlocks the doors when you turn the engine off?? My 08 GT doesn't do that.

I had an 01 A4 before, and it autolocks (re-program), when the car gets up to speed (don't recall what speed). But it never unlocks by itself IIRC.

Even if cars will unlock itself, I believe it'll only do it for the driver side for safety reasons.

No Our CR-V did that, and yes, it unlocked all of the doors when you turned the engine off. I like that our CX9 doesn't have that feature, so my wife can unlock the drivers door when she's ready. I also prefer that she doesn't have to wait to start the car for the doors to lock. As soon as she gets in, she locks the doors.

No Our CR-V did that, and yes, it unlocked all of the doors when you turned the engine off. I like that our CX9 doesn't have that feature, so my wife can unlock the drivers door when she's ready. I also prefer that she doesn't have to wait to start the car for the doors to lock. As soon as she gets in, she locks the doors.

But then all the interior lights turn off the second you lock the doors, which annoys the sh*t out of me. The interior lights shouldn't turn off till you start the car, or about 30 seconds which is the way my VW and mercedes worked. The other thing that annoys me is the interior lights do not turn on when you turn stick the car in park and turn the ignition off if you have the smart key. But if you have the traditional key the lights turn on when you pull the key out of the ignition.

Last edited:
Back