Show your support and Donate!
Show your support and Donate!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long to wait for tint to cure?

Registered Member

How long to wait for tint to cure?

I just got my windows tinted 35% all around yesterday. How long do I have to wait before the film cures so I can wash my car?
    Going to an auto show and looking at minivans is like going to a strip club and looking at the DJ - Chris Rock
    Mods Currently Installed
    TRZ Delrin Motor Mount
    30% Tint
    Injen CAI
    TWM Short Shifter w/ bearings
    Mods Waiting To Be Installed
    COBB Downpipe
    APEXi Turbo Timer

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaidao View Post
    I just got my windows tinted 35% all around yesterday. How long do I have to wait before the film cures so I can wash my car?
    um, you can wash your car whenever...you just cannot roll down your windows for 3-5 days

Registered Member

Really? the sticker said not to wash windows or roll down for 3-5 days.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Items For Sale
    Well, obviously since the tint is on the inside of the window, don't wash the insides for a while. And only use a cleaning solution that is safe on tint (I like Stoner's). It's better if you leave your car outside during the drying process. You should be good after 5 days, if you had them tinted during the summer, it could be as little as 2 days.
    2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 GT, True Red

2008.5 Speed3, 2006 Chrysler 300C, 2003 Ram 1500

Quote Originally Posted by Kaidao View Post
    Depends on the disease the tint has. Just don't open the windows for three days.

2008 1/2 CWP GT

Center Brake Light Flasher
    Redline Tuning Hood Springs
    Cobb RSB/CorkSport MM inserts
    Spin-on filter conversion/Quick Oil Drain Valve
    RX-8 wheels/Painted Calipers/Continental Extreme Contact DWS
    (p5white)

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Well, obviously since the tint is on the inside of the window, don't wash the insides for a while. And only use a cleaning solution that is safe on tint (I like Stoner's). It's better if you leave your car outside during the drying process. You should be good after 5 days, if you had them tinted during the summer, it could be as little as 2 days.
    Hmm...well it's hard for me to wash my own car because of my location. I don't have a garage or driveway or anything, so I usually get it handwashed. So I'm not sure what kind of cleaning solution they use. But...also, it's not really summer here anymore. The weather's getting cooler and when I park at home, I usually park it in my apartment complex's garage. Do you think it would be safe to get my car washed, though? I'm pretty I can ask them to not wipe the inside of the windows.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

The All Knowing... mazdaspeedster3's Avatar

Mazdaspeed3. 2008

3 to 5 days? WOW... I have never been told that long, EVER. I have seen tint applied and have had every car I own tinted (well over 10 vehicles) and have never had to wait nor been told to wait longer than 48 hours. I just had my 5 done in 45 degree weather and over cast for the week and didnt need to wait but the 2 days. I guess it doesnt hurt to go longer but what a pain.
    Check out my Metro Man Bling!

img (Pic obviously to large for this forum)

2008 Mazda Speed3

any window cleaner WITHOUT ammonia is safe for tints, ammonia will turn them purple. and usually 2-3 days is more than enough time for them to dry, i got tints done on my previous car 5% all around and had to roll it down because i got pulled over that same night for them, and nothing happens..

i think its more of a safety precaution rather than itll actually mess up the tints

Registered Member

Alright well then...I got my tint done on Monday. I'll wait until Thursday to go get my car wash, and make sure that the cleaning solution they use for windows doesn't contain ammonia. Which I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

2008 Mazda Speed3

yeah most places done use it because of tinted cars.
    i think like home based windex does, obviously,

but all automotive window wash doesn't contain it

Mazdaspeed 3

window tint

dude washing your car dont have anything to do with your tint just dont roll down your windows and for cleaning inside on the windows dont use anything but water after 5 days i do window tints as a side job.

08.5 CWP Speed3 GT (sold)

If the temp is above 85 then your golden 8 hours baking in the sun will do. If your below that and you live where the sun is not "strong" then I would say wait atleast 24hours. I used to tint and that was the golden rule, when in doubt 24 hours (min)..
    2008.5 Crystal White Pearl Mica MS3 GT sold
    2010 Subaru Forester XT
    2011 Subaru Legacy 3.6R
    2001 BMW 540I M Sport Sold
    2004 Saturn Vue Redline

I got mine tinted in sunny So Cal, and the temps were 90+, but I still waited 3 days. It is better to be safe than sorry.

Registered Member

2007 Cosmic Blue MS3, 2014 6 GT

And don't be concerned if your bubbles don't disappear in the 1st week - the better the tint, the longer it takes. Mine weren't completely gone until 3 weeks later, and that was with parking outside in Texas in the summer every day.
    Black '87 RX-7 TII (finally gone - donated to Kars4Kids)
    Titanium '04 RX-8 GT (totalled )
    Cosmic Blue '07 Mazdaspeed 3 (helping me forget my rotary love affair)
    2014 Meteor Gray Mica Mazda 6 GT

Items For Sale
    For those of you that rolled down or cleaned the inside of your newly tinted windows a day after and nothing went wrong, that's fine. No one said if you do then bad shit is guaranteed to happen. It's just the shop's way of reducing liability and the chance of something bad happening. Honestly, if the wait is one day or three, it's no BFD either way. I got mine tinted on a Saturday in June, parked it outside all week, then when I drove it again the next weekend, it was all good. No skin off my teeth waiting a week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast