Manual Transmission fluid change?

fccecc

Mazda didn't mention any fluid change for manual gear box (At east for my Mazda3). And I ask my local Mechs/Dealer - some say every 2years/40K Miles some say just keep up the fluid level.

So what do you guys do??

some have changed it for performance sake to a redline synthetic fluid. i don't think i have heard of anyone changing it for pm yet. i would check your manual it probably has the fluid change intervals on it. some one else may have the numbers and could chime in but i don't have time to look it up right now.

My local Mech said new generation stick shift gear box (Like Mazda3) doesn't require periodically changing transmission fluid like the Auto's. Basically maintenance free until it breaks down.

But then I ask the Mazda Sales Rep at Manhattan, he said I'll need to change it just like the Autos.....

So i double check with the manual, NOTHING regarding Manual Tranny on the schedule.

Any thoughts?

If you search many a car forums, you will get opinion after opinion on this subject. Anywhere from some having never changed it and having no problems to those who religiously change it every 10K. So, I will offer my opinion. I try to change mine every 20K or so. Does it need it? Maybe, maybe not. Do I feel better knowing I have fresh clean fluid in there? Sure do. You figure that you change the oil in your car because eventually it starts to break down; the same must be assumed about the tranny fluid.

Just FYI transmission fluid doesn't break down, however it does get dirty. The seals do breakdown eventually and need replacing.

After repeated heat cycling, ANY oil breaks down. If you don't think your M/T gets hot enough to degrade oil, reach under the car and lay your hand on it after a ride on the highway.

While 10K mile fluid dumps is a bit excessive, it won't hurt anything either. If you want improved shift quality, I highly recommend Redline MT90. It tamed my MS6 transmission.

Just FYI transmission fluid doesn't break down, however it does get dirty. The seals do breakdown eventually and need replacing.

Yes, it does break down.

I usually change mine every year, although, I believe Mazda recommends it only every 96k.

I tired Redline MTL and MT90. Did not like either fluid.

Then I tried Motul Gear 300. WOW! Much better than stock or either Redline fluid.

Yes, it does break down.

I usually change mine every year, although, I believe Mazda recommends it only every 96k.

I tired Redline MTL and MT90. Did not like either fluid.

Then I tried Motul Gear 300. WOW! Much better than stock or either Redline fluid.

I think it was 95k. I just hit 99 in my 06 & I got the fluid changed just this past weekend. It made a slight but noticeable difference. For 40 bucks why not!?!

there is no specific mazda guideline. at least not from mazda canada.

with that said we check on any car over 75xxx km. its an always anytime we replace an axle, or do a clutch.

there is no specific mazda guideline. at least not from mazda canada.

with that said we check on any car over 75xxx km. its an always anytime we replace an axle, or do a clutch.

....about 47,000 miles.

Personally, I wouldn't wait longer than that unless the fluid was 100% synthetic from the factory.

Back