Visit TeamMFactory.com for the best Mazda transmission components!
Visit TeamMFactory.com for the best Mazda transmission components!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How-To: Replace Mazda5 Rear Wiper Blade

Registered Member

How-To: Replace Mazda5 Rear Wiper Blade

First, obtain a Trico 12A wiper arm -- this one is an exact replacement for the rear wiper blade on the 2006 Mazda5 (and I think all the rest, too). (UPDATE -- Many users report that the 12A blade doesn't curve to fit the window, leaving half of it unwiped. So either use a Mazda blade or slip the wiper insert out of the Trico 12A and put it in the Mazda blade, after you remove it (see below.))

Second, pull out the sides of the plastic guard over the base of the wiper arm (the axle, if you will) then lift it up and away from the wiper arm to remove.

This should allow you to lift the wiper arm up and away from the glass. There will be some resistance, then it will get past a detent and lift further away from the glass.

Then bend back the wiper blade and pop it off the axle that holds it. There are pictures in the directions for the Trico 12A.

Snap on the new wiper blade.

Fold the wiper arm back down to the glass.

Replace the plastic cover at the base of the wiper arm by fitting it over the axle and squeezing in the sides until they click in place.

Done.
    Last edited by diogenes; 02-04-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Registered Member

Mazda5 rear wiper blade

Instead of buying an expensive blade assembly, I bought a single 22" refill for $3.49 and cut the length I needed and installed it. That gives me TWO refills for that price! You have to be sure to get the same type of refill that is the same width. It has a separate wire down each side, so I slide the rubber in first and then inserted each wire separately. Slick as snot and cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by intewedm View Post
    Instead of buying an expensive blade assembly, I bought a single 22" refill for $3.49 and cut the length I needed and installed it. That gives me TWO refills for that price! You have to be sure to get the same type of refill that is the same width. It has a separate wire down each side, so I slide the rubber in first and then inserted each wire separately. Slick as snot and cheap!

When people post these help how-tos, it might help to post pics along with it.

A pic tells a thousand tales as they say

Registered Member

2008 Mazda 5

Wiper Blade Arm

I recently replaced my rear wiper blade arm and found that while the new one fit, because of the design, when the wiper is at the 12 o'clock position, the upper third of the blade doesn't contact the glass.

I've discovered that the smaller bow that holds the center of the blade interferes with the clip that holds the new arm and blade. I'm going to try to cut out a channel in the new arm to accommodate this, which I know will fix it, but does anyone know if you HAVE to replace the arm with an OEM?

2006 Mazda 5

grugster, same here, it's not wrapping around the curve of the window, which is causing it to not clean the very top of the rear window..... let me know how your mod goes..... take some pic's if it goes well..... I've messed around with the arm also, I'm not sure why it's not working the way the OEM worked.......
    Last edited by dfskinner; 05-23-2009 at 08:27 PM.
    dfskinner
    If you don't know where you want to go....
    "Then it doesn't much matter how you get there"
    (2006 Mazada 5)

Registered Member

ditto

I would be interested in how anyone addressed the 1/2-glass cleaning. This is driving me nuts!

Donated: $20

06 5 Touring, 07 Sport

Post #2 answers it. Just replace the blade and not the entire plastic piece. Replacement blades are much cheaper!
    Ken
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    06 5 Touring
    03 Avalanche Z71

Registered Member

Mazda 5

I just replaced my rear wiper too, and I'm getting that same problem of the upper half not working properly.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the original part because I broke it trying to get it off, so I don't have the option of just replacing the rubber piece.

Believe me, I was tempted to just replace the blade, after struggling for about 20 minutes trying to get the darned arm to lift off of the glass. Why is every little thing so darned hard with this car? Have you ever tried to replace any of the light bulbs?

But anyway, I finally did force the old wiper off and broke it. So now how do I fix it?

As requested, pictures!

I am so glad there is a forum to cover this issue, since the Mazda5 user manual skipped an important step: Taking off the plastic cover over the axle mentioned in diogenes's post. I was befuddled by my inability to raise the wiper arm without that step.

Attached below are pictures on how to remove the plastic cover. Simply pull apart slightly where the red arrows are, and the cover should come off. The rest matches the manual.

Have fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2008 Mazda5 Grand Touring

Registered Member

Did that and it still does not contact the top 1/2 of the glass. Any other thoughts?

2010 Mazda CX-7

Question

cancoi,

A. Is your car used or new?

B. Provide any additional details like,

1. Accident car
    2. where you live, is your car a north America, USA or Canada
    3. Pictures of YOUR wiper blade and assembly, pictures are worth 1000 words.

C. Are you using the wrong blade?

D. Who else have you contacted concerning this issue?

Here is what I think:

1. Used M5, and previous owner bought a cheap ass blade or assembly and slapped it on there.

2. Now that it is cold that assembly will not move as well, i.e. rust, dirt or grime is stuck in the assembly (NOT THE BLADE)

3. Or you've changed blades only, and the assembly is shot from dirt etc.

Hope that helps, but you're going to have to help US help YOU. there are so many variables, it's hard to fix when you say... "Don't work, please fix."

Peace!

Here is an video from the Trico web site on how to change the rear wiper blade.

http://www.tricoproducts.com/Trico2/...2_ExactFit.swf

Registered Member

Here is a "doozie" for you all...

I bought a brand new 2009 Mazda5 GS (Canadian version) near Montreal.

That day it was raining. Went on the highway, the dirt got on the hatch window, put the wipers on, and the top section does not get wiped (top 2 lines of the defrost).

What can be done to fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by Phratt View Post
    Here is a "doozie" for you all...

I bought a brand new 2009 Mazda5 GS (Canadian version) near Montreal.

That day it was raining. Went on the highway, the dirt got on the hatch window, put the wipers on, and the top section does not get wiped (top 2 lines of the defrost).

What can be done to fix this?

The rear wiper on the M5 is essential because the hatch window accumulates water and dirt when driving instead of clearing it.
    Check the wiper blade, it can also be the spring in the arm not applying enough pressure. But the car is new, shouldn't it be still under warranty?

PS: There are a few members that are from around the Montreal area including myself.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Davebert View Post
    Check the wiper blade, it can also be the spring in the arm not applying enough pressure. But the car is new, shouldn't it be still under warranty?

Hi,

I have spoken with the dealer - and they seem to be looking for an easy way out. They start by saying that ALL M5's do this, then say it's aerodynamics and end up saying that the wipers work and they have good spring pressure.

I'm going to another dealer for a "second opinion"

Quote Originally Posted by Davebert View Post
    PS: There are a few members that are from around the Montreal area including myself.
    Cool!!! We have to get a group together one of these weekends to exchange on our M5's.... what do you think?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast