Rough Idle

Hey guys, wondering if you could help me out? I have a 03 MP5 with the 2.0L 16 valve. Over the last while the ehgine light has come on and off and the idle has been getting worse, now to the point when I start it I have to press the gas pedal down and then she fires up and idles high (1200) for a bit until warm and then it idles so rough that the car shakes and wants to stall. When the engine light came on and stayed on I took it to a local trusted garage who said it needed a Mass Airflow Sensor. With 190,000km on it I thought she was probably due. Instead of buying a new for $450 Canadian dollars I opted for a used part that they said was in good shape. It still runs like crap. The garage said it must be defective and maybe my cold air intake has something to do with it. I have had that intake on it since it was new and never had a problem till now.....and what are the odds of both sensors being bad?

Just wondering if any of you guys have had the same problem and how you fixed it.

Thanks a lot eh.

Try cleaning the EGR valve. It's a common problem in higher mileage P5's. There is a write up on how to do it in the How-To section of the forums. I was having the same problem, although I didn't let it get as bad. But cleaning the EGR cleared it right up.

Good luck removing it though, I've attempted removing the EGR valve twice with no success lol. I guess I'll try again after I get the right tools.

a lot of people have had success by simply removing the intake tubing and spraying carb cleaner (no, you can't use brake clean before that question is asked...) into the hole for the EGR w/ the little straw. That may be enough to get you going. You'll want to let it sit some and then go for a drive to blow that crap out.

Good luck removing it though, I've attempted removing the EGR valve twice with no success lol. I guess I'll try again after I get the right tools.
Try using a 1/4" drive ratchet. It'll fit up in there. 3rd time'll be the charm. Don't loose the metal gasket or you'll have a vacuum leak & it'll still run bad, just a different kinda bad. lol.

So, do you still have a CEL? If so, I would get it read by an autozone or some place like that for free. +1 on the egr, you could also seafoam it (gas and brake booster) and change the plugs. My guess is that one of or a combination of those things would fix it. Good luck!

Try using a 1/4" drive ratchet. It'll fit up in there. 3rd time'll be the charm. Don't loose the metal gasket or you'll have a vacuum leak & it'll still run bad, just a different kinda bad. lol.

Alright thanks! I'll go pick up that ratchet after my pay check lol.

Hey guys just got in from the garage and you guys were right. It took me about an hour and i cleaned the EGR which was seized. Now it runs better than ever.

thank you very much. I owe you guys one.

By the way very easy to change. Remove the cold air intake and then just a 1/4 ratched with a 12mm socket and bob's your uncle.

Thanks again.

Back