CD Changer Error Code E01

poetic11

:
2002 Mazda Tribute
I have a CD Changer Model num TC87 79 EG0 in my 2002 Mazda Tribute. I'm getting and error code E-01. The changer won't go into cd mode, won't eject and won't shuffle the cds. I've had success in trying to make it change or eject by holding the button down while I turned the key in the ignition to power it on. It basically made all the noise like it was going to do something, but actually did nothing.

I have combed the internet and my owners manual with no luck as to finding out what this means. There is very little troubleshooting information available in the manual and virtually nothing that can be found online. All my search turned up for me was references to where to purchase a new changer ($540! :eek:). Can anyone help?

Thank you!

Well this probably isn't what you want to here but I'm sure you can find a changer cheaper by combing the forums and posting WTB threads...and there is always eBay and salvage yards to check too.

As for the error code, My guess is that the unit is on its last leg. Perhaps there is a broken belt or a stripped or misaligned gear or something inside the unit. At this point it can't hurt to take it apart and mess around with it. At the very least you should be able to remove your CDs that are stuck in there.

Slight Problem

Thank you for your response! There's a slight problem, I tinker with things, but I haven't ever done that (removed a cd player). Where would I find instructions on doing things like that? I've been searching for service manuals as well with no luck. I'm sure I could do it, but I'd need to see it done first.

Thanks again!

Without a photo of your dash I can't say for certain, but most Mazda decks of your era have plastic shims on the sides that can be popped off with a flat blade screwdriver. Behind them are a series of round holes. You need a set of ford radio removal U-shaped tools which fit into the holes and compress clips on either side of the unit. Once the tools are locked in place they act as handles for you to pull the radio out. From that point I can't help you much other than the CD unit is probably modular and can be detatched from the rest of the radio...and then you can start unscrewing things until it comes apart.

Back