Atf M-v Wtf?

gtlaw

:
ms3
I'm about to change the transmsson fluid in my girlfriends pr5, but I can't figure out what fluid to use. the manual says ATF M-V, but all I can find is mercon-v. it seemed locical that they are the same thing until I found this http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/tribute/05-005-08-1928.pdf

as if driving an automatic didn't suck enough trying to maintain one is the final slap in the face. this b**** is gonna have to learn to drive a manual by the time she needs a new car or I'm gone

I'm about to change the transmsson fluid in my girlfriends pr5, but I can't figure out what fluid to use. the manual says ATF M-V, but all I can find is mercon-v. it seemed locical that they are the same thing until I found this http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/tribute/05-005-08-1928.pdf

Whoa! I think I've been putting Mercon V in my transmission for over the last 30,000 miles. I guess when I looked in the manual and it said M-V I assumed that was an abbreviation for Mercon V.

s***.

Last edited:
I ended up getting this crap from the dealear for $8.80 per quart. when I drained the trans only little less than 4 quarts came out the FSM says it takes 7.2. I even started the car and shifted through gears onced drained. I imagine some might have been left in the cooler, but it couldn't hold 3 quarts. after driving the car it doesn't look like its contaminated with 3 quarts of old brown fliud. the fluid is still bright pink. can anyone else confirm it only takes 4 quarts not 7.2 like the FSM states. BTW this is a four speed triptronic if that makes a difference

The remaining 3 qts or so are in the torque converter. There's a How-To about disconnecting the cooler line and starting the engine to pump the old fluid out of the torque converter.

But you're probably OK too by not doing it.

I just got a quote for $71.12 (including tax) for 8 qts from my dealer.

must be why mine blew up lol, good thing I get free fluid changes every 12k miles now! If they use the wrong thing and it messes it up its on them this time around.

Got a response from the Red Line form I submitted. Apparently their D4 is a suitable replacement for the M-V fluid. SWEET!

Service manual says this: ATF type
M-V or equivalent (e.g. DexronIII)

AMSOIL compatibility says:

AMSOIL ATF is recommended for transmission, hydraulic and other applications requiring any of the following specifications:

GM DEXRON II, III & VI
Ford MERCON, MERCON V & SP
Chrysler ATF+ through ATF+4
Honda Z-1 (Not for use in CVT transmissions)
Toyota Type T and T-IV
Mitsubishi/Hyundai Diamond SP II & III
Allison C-3, C-4
Caterpillar TO-2
Voith G607, G1363
ZF TE-ML 14A, 14B, 14C
Mercedes Benz 236.1, 236.2, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9
BMW 7045E
NAG 1 & 2
JWS 3309
LT 71141 (ESSO)
Nissan Matic D, J & K
Vickers I-286S & M-2950S
Excellent for power steering units that use ATF.

Not for use in CVT transmissions.

SERVICE LIFE
AMSOIL Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended for use up to 50,000 miles under severe service* and up to 100,000 miles under normal service* or according to the vehicle manufacturer recommended intervals, whichever is longer. AMSOIL recommends thoroughly draining the transmission and flushing with new AMSOIL ATF to achieve a minimum 90% purity of new transmission fluid. Drain intervals may be extended further with oil analysis.

So if the service manual is saying dexronIII is an equivilant & amsoil says dexronIII is compatible then I'm feeling good about it. Plus the fact that it's been in the tranny for 50k without issue. Not pushing 70-100k they say fluid should be OK. I'll be doing flush/refill well before then, like within 10k more miles.

Service manual says this: ATF type
M-V or equivalent (e.g. DexronIII)

AMSOIL compatibility says:

AMSOIL ATF is recommended for transmission, hydraulic and other applications requiring any of the following specifications:

GM DEXRON II, III & VI
Ford MERCON, MERCON V & SP
Chrysler ATF+ through ATF+4
Honda Z-1 (Not for use in CVT transmissions)
Toyota Type T and T-IV
Mitsubishi/Hyundai Diamond SP II & III
Allison C-3, C-4
Caterpillar TO-2
Voith G607, G1363
ZF TE-ML 14A, 14B, 14C
Mercedes Benz 236.1, 236.2, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9
BMW 7045E
NAG 1 & 2
JWS 3309
LT 71141 (ESSO)
Nissan Matic D, J & K
Vickers I-286S & M-2950S
Excellent for power steering units that use ATF.

Not for use in CVT transmissions.

SERVICE LIFE
AMSOIL Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended for use up to 50,000 miles under severe service* and up to 100,000 miles under normal service* or according to the vehicle manufacturer recommended intervals, whichever is longer. AMSOIL recommends thoroughly draining the transmission and flushing with new AMSOIL ATF to achieve a minimum 90% purity of new transmission fluid. Drain intervals may be extended further with oil analysis.

So if the service manual is saying dexronIII is an equivilant & amsoil says dexronIII is compatible then I'm feeling good about it. Plus the fact that it's been in the tranny for 50k without issue. Not pushing 70-100k they say fluid should be OK. I'll be doing flush/refill well before then, like within 10k more miles.

it only says that for the power steering, why? I don't know.

The auto transaxle section of the manual is where I got that from. Checking & replacing fluid sections both had that same thing.

Back