Mazda3 Pros/Cons

I'm also interested in this subject. Are you considering the 6 too B?

Further: What known issues do the Mazda3 and 6 have (such as the weak rods found in the FS-DE, or the plethora of transmission failures that the G15m-R is known for)

Last edited:
well ive had a long list of cars..

2 civics,
scion xb,
suzuki aerio
ford focus
(alot considering im 21. and no i never totalled any)

i bought my 3 at a VW dealer over a base model gti.

i have never driven a car that rides/handles so well (for the money). the looks are aesthetically pleasing, without being too over the top.

reliabilitywise...
in 1 year i drove 50,000 miles... i havent had a single problem (other than an airbag light coming on)

read the reviews around for yourself. this car came out in 04-05 and it still wins awards when compared to the newer civics, lancers, ect..

thats an amazing accomplishment for a car thats 4 years old.

ohh yea.. and the interior with leather is SEXXKKKCCSSS

Honestly....problem wise...base 3 is just like any car, just kicked up a notch. But IMO, its going to come down to styling and design cues....main reason I purchased my 2004 Acura TL.....I definitely think the styling is more unique than most cars out there.

I knew about the Speed3's trans failures, I was just wondering if the standard 3 had issues. The trans in the 3 is an updated version of the G15m-r, the G35m-r. The V6 Mazda6 has an A65m-r. I've been reading the 6 forum, and haven't seen issues with either transmission. I'm wondering if this is a result of a better design, or the fact that a different audience drives these cars.

Either way, I'm strongly considering the 6s as my next daily driver. Since I'm probably getting a Miata or EF/EG hatch at the same time as a fun car/ autocross toy, I'm not too concerned with it's durability under abnormal stress.

Last edited:
Brian, I think the 3 is a good buy. Gabi's was a fun to drive car with enough pep to feel good driving. Even though it was an automatic it still was a pleasure. The interior is nice enough for still being an econobox and the outside looks sharp too. I doubt you'll be xing it since you have one of those already but if you felt like runnign it they do pretty well in stock trim.

I knew about the Speed3's trans failures, I was just wondering if the standard 3 had issues. The trans in the 3 is an updated version of the G15m-r, the G35m-r. The V6 Mazda6 has an A65m-r. I've been reading the 6 forum, and haven't seen issues with either transmission. I'm wondering if this is a result of a better design, or the fact that a different audience drives these cars.

Either way, I'm strongly considering the 6s as my next daily driver. Since I'm probably getting a Miata or EF/EG hatch at the same time as a fun car/ autocross toy, I'm not too concerned with it's durability under abnormal stress.

So not interested in the MSP anymore eh? :p

Clearly you've never had a 5 minute conversation with Michael about what car he wants. I've seen him change his mind drastically 27 times in that time period. This doesn't count smaller changes like "91 civic coupe... no hatch!"

As Andrew said above, it's more than likely going to be a matter of what is available at the point that I am shopping for a vehicle. If it happens to be your MSP, then that's what it'll be lol. At least I know what I want as far as an autocross car goes (thanks to Mr. STS champion).

You got it wrong Muff, it's an 89 hatch, but it has to be from Japan, and built on a Friday :p

Just so everyone else can understand what he's talking about, I've considered all of these vehicles for a daily driver in the somewhat recent past:

MSP
Protege5
Mazda6s
Mazda3
Nissan 240sx
Toyota Yaris
S2000 (for about 3 seconds)
EG hatch
EK hatch
EF hatch
E30 M3

I guess what it will come down to is which of those (with the exception of the S2000 and the Yaris) I can find in the best condition for the best value when I start looking for a car.

Last edited:
You and my brother. In the past say 3 years, these were his cars.

2005 Chevy Silverado
1991 Nissan Hardbody
2006 Scion xB
2003 Honda S2000
2008 Infiniti M35
2007 Honda Civic

Now those last two he still has and during that time, he's had two motorcycles as well (one was a Supermoto and the other was a Ninja ZX6RR). He also has his 1971 Datsun 510 (sr20 swap) somewhere in N. Ga being ransomed by a former member of our family. For the most part, he has good taste in cars but he just goes in and out of spells. The one car I miss driving that he owned was the S2K. He only had a Fujimita CAI but that thing was 6 gears of heaven.

Edit: And if you're like me, you want cars just because they MIGHT be rare and/or be worth a lot later. (ie MSP) Not that the MSP is as rare as say, the Reventon, but it's a limited prod. Also, not that the MSP will ever be a 55 Bel Air but you never know.

As Andrew said above, it's more than likely going to be a matter of what is available at the point that I am shopping for a vehicle. If it happens to be your MSP, then that's what it'll be lol. At least I know what I want as far as an autocross car goes (thanks to Mr. STS champion).

You got it wrong Muff, it's an 89 hatch, but it has to be from Japan, and built on a Friday :p

Just so everyone else can understand what he's talking about, I've considered all of these vehicles for a daily driver in the somewhat recent past:

MSP
Protege5
Mazda6s
Mazda3
Nissan 240sx
Toyota Yaris
S2000 (for about 3 seconds)
EG hatch
EK hatch
EF hatch
E30 M3

I guess what it will come down to is which of those (with the exception of the S2000 and the Yaris) I can find in the best condition for the best value when I start looking for a car.

EK hatches are lame unless you were to swap it or turbo it or something. You'd be much better off with a 99-00 Si. HS or STS...don't be a lemming!

EK hatches are lame unless you were to swap it or turbo it or something. You'd be much better off with a 99-00 Si. HS or STS...don't be a lemming!

As far as an autocross car goes, I'm pretty set on an EF civic after driving Tim's car. If I happen across a clean 99-00 Si when I start looking for a car, you can bet that will be my next daily driver.

As far as an autocross car goes, I'm pretty set on an EF civic after driving Tim's car. If I happen across a clean 99-00 Si when I start looking for a car, you can bet that will be my next daily driver.

Heyward once told me that when he was running an '89 Si in stock and the '99s came out, the '99s started beating them. That would lead me to believe that the 99-00 could possibly be a faster STS car as well. I would think that the 99 would be able to lose more weight and possibly gain more power than an EF. I'm biased, of course, because I had a 99 for 9 years and loved it, but I'd really love to see someone seriously make a run at the national level in one. A top driver in a well-prepped car could make things interesting.

In summation, I think the Mazda3 would be an excellent choice for you Brian. :p

Heyward once told me that when he was running an '89 Si in stock and the '99s came out, the '99s started beating them. That would lead me to believe that the 99-00 could possibly be a faster STS car as well. I would think that the 99 would be able to lose more weight and possibly gain more power than an EF. I'm biased, of course, because I had a 99 for 9 years and loved it, but I'd really love to see someone seriously make a run at the national level in one. A top driver in a well-prepped car could make things interesting.

In summation, I think the Mazda3 would be an excellent choice for you Brian. :p

You do realize Tim's EF was 1975lbs at HPT. I don't think you can get a 99-00 anywhere close that legally.

Oh... and Tim's car probably has about another 35-50lbs it can lose... legally.

You do realize Tim's EF was 1975lbs at HPT. I don't think you can get a 99-00 anywhere close that legally.

Oh... and Tim's car probably has about another 35-50lbs it can lose... legally.

I'm not saying it's going to get lighter than that, just that it can close the stock vs. stock gap a little. I'm sure within the STS ruleset, the EM1 is going to lose more seat weight, exhaust weight, etc. than an EF.

I'm not saying it's going to get lighter than that, just that it can close the stock vs. stock gap a little. I'm sure within the STS ruleset, the EM1 is going to lose more seat weight, exhaust weight, etc. than an EF.

The EF will still win the pwr:wght ratio game though, most likely.

Basically it is nearly the same argument as the DA Integra vs. the EF.

A DA GSR might could do it better than the EM1.

Also, I thought Jen was gonna help on a Mazda3?

;)

The EF will still win the pwr:wght ratio game though, most likely.

Basically it is nearly the same argument as the DA Integra vs. the EF.

A DA GSR might could do it better than the EM1.

Also, I thought Jen was gonna help on a Mazda3?

;)

She is. Looks like her friend's dealership doesn't have a hatch with a manual in stock. If you find one around, let us know and she'll do what she can.

Edit: Wait, the EF wins the power:weight game? I thought it was the tire:weight game the EF owned.

Back