Egr Port

2.0 MSP

:
2003.5 MazdaSpeed Protege
I am thinkin about gettin a new header and intake mani and im thinkin about blockin off the EGR port. Does it really make it any different? I know you have to let your car warm it up longer but i dont drive it during the winter anyways so it really makes no difference to me..

You may throw a CEL, you may not. Aside from that, there is no real reason not to block it off.

If a state does a visual check, you won't pass emissions. I know some people have put a breather filter on the intake manifold side to avoid the CEL.

If a state does a visual check, you won't pass emissions. I know some people have put a breather filter on the intake manifold side to avoid the CEL.

that is what i did on mine, but i dont belive they do visual checks here

im not worried about any checks.. acutally i have never even heard of anything like that around here. who does them?

how do you block off the egr? is there a kit or anything? how bout a how to?

just remove the egr, put a breather filter on the intake manifold, cap off the other side,i forgot what size it is but i got mine from home depo plubing department,here is a pic of the intake mani hope it helps
INTAKEMANI.jpg

The breather allows unmetered air into the intake manifold at idle. It's amazing you guys aren't throwing system too lean codes...

just remove the egr, put a breather filter on the intake manifold, cap off the other side,i forgot what size it is but i got mine from home depo plubing department,here is a pic of the intake mani hope it helps
INTAKEMANI.jpg

I did something similar except I cut the EGR pipe near the turbo mani and put the breather filter on the pipe....I will see if I can get pics up. I haven't gotten any CELs with doing it that way either....

The breather allows unmetered air into the intake manifold at idle. It's amazing you guys aren't throwing system too lean codes...

i have not thrown a code yet(yippy) haha i just got the one for being catless haha

The EGR system uses the exhaust gas to cool the combustion chamber, and prevent detonation by displacing air with inert gases, this keeps NOx gasses and EGT's down. The cooler your combustion the less likely you are to detonate. It's also there for emissions but really it does help engine longevity. I would check EGT's when running without the EGR it's known to increase them substantially. An increase in EGT is always a sign of pre-detonation, or detonation.

The EGR system uses the exhaust gas to cool the combustion chamber, and prevent detonation by displacing air with inert gases, this keeps NOx gasses and EGT's down. The cooler your combustion the less likely you are to detonate. It's also there for emissions but really it does help engine longevity. I would check EGT's when running without the EGR it's known to increase them substantially. An increase in EGT is always a sign of pre-detonation, or detonation.
What he said is absolutely correct. In a sense it reduces the amount of combustion that occurs in the cylinders. Less combustion = less heat. Don't fear, however, because the cars are tuned to work with this so it isn't like you're losing power. When you add a breather filter you are allowing unmetered air, instead of exhaust gases into the cylinder which will cause a lean condition.

not in the msp haha, my gauge shows im runnin rich as hell haha
You are allowing unmetered air in - trust me. I don't remember when exactly it is that the EGR is open but you are allowing unmetered air into the cylinders and you will be increasing EGTs. There's no question.

You are allowing unmetered air in - trust me. I don't remember when exactly it is that the EGR is open but you are allowing unmetered air into the cylinders and you will be increasing EGTs. There's no question.

In theory by engine design and according to ecu output and if yours isn't clogged with carbon and crap the EGR opening conditions are as follows, but please correct me if you have read the values from the vac solenoid actuator:

Lean Cruse : Closed
Idle : Closed
Full Throttle : Closed
Mid Throttle : Open
Low Throttle : Open
Lean Cruise to partial or full throttle(Acceleration Enrichment Event): Open Momentarily

While the EGR isn't open during full throttle, when you drive around when it should be open and it's removed the cooling effect is removed and when you go for another run it just gets hotter and hotter, even the J-Spec Mazda engines have an EGR valve and they don't have to meet emissions standards like us.

I'm not saying everyone who has it removed to go and put one back in and route the pipe to the exhaust manifold, I'm just letting you guys know without it I would run a richer mixture to prevent detonation. Anyone with it removed have a EGT gauge, some readings would be helpful.

Back