CEL with rough idle, rough idle goes away when I step on gas

madsmartguy

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
I will probably go to the mechanic tomorrow and want to have a feeling for what to expect. I've had an EGR valve problem in the past, and am thinking that might be it. (EGR valve was just cleaned, not replaced) My car's engine shuts off entirely, and I had trouble having time to hit the throttle before it shuts off. Once I hit the gas, it goes away for a while (like an hour) and it will resurface when I am driving in the city (lower rpm's). Any help greatly appreciated.

it could be the IAC too, just clean both, or disable your useless EGR (after you clean it so it can get a good seal)

ive had mine disabled for about 20 000K now, and the car runs SOOOOOOO smooth without that POS

tried cleaning but i am getting stuck...

I have attempted to clean the EGR valve but have gotten stuck at the point where I have to unscrew the bolts and take out the EGR valve.

I took off the hose on top, disconnected the sensor, but the bolts are on the bottom and I feel like I have no leverage to put a wrench in and unscrew both. I can only see one, and I cannot see the other bolt. Any advice on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

How about your coil packs? Mine went bad and it gave rough idling, as well as, CEL. Do you smell petro when the problem occurs?

Jack up front end, Use a short combination wrench from underneath, liquid wrench helps. I bought set of short combs for $22.

Back