Brand New Mazda5 has CEL on already???

xgabriel

:
2008 Mazda5 GT
I've got about 2000 miles on my 2008 Mazda5, and the CEL is on already. Everything feels fine when driving the car though. Anybody have any idea what it is? I won't be able to bring the car in to the deal until Friday to have it checked out. Is it safe to drive until then?

Thanks,
xgabriel

So long as you don't have a flashing check engine light, and the driving behavior of the vehicle is unchanged, you're probably ok to run. I've been going with one for a month now that's a result of a major vacuum leak while waiting on parts and available time to install them.

Don't forget that autozone will read your engine codes for free.

Often a CEL on a vehicle that new is the gas cap. Make sure you tighten it till it "clicks". It's ok to blame it on your wife getting gas, we won't rib you for it ;).

I did a quick search...

"A code p0455 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:

* A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
* A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand)
* Other leak or damaged piece in EVAP system"

Could be a bad cap - Mazda has had a run of them. They usually get stuck and then damaged when getting unstuck. I just had mine replaced. But I was able to seal it even when broken, so no CEL.

I did a quick search...

"A code p0455 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:

* A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
* A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand)
* Other leak or damaged piece in EVAP system"

Could be a bad cap - Mazda has had a run of them. They usually get stuck and then damaged when getting unstuck. I just had mine replaced. But I was able to seal it even when broken, so no CEL.

Ok, thanks. I checked the gas cap yet again and it should be fine. It is possible that my wife didn't tighten it enough and that was the problem, but the CEL isn't going away.

It needs to be reset, either at the dealership, service station or someone with an OBD-II diagnostic scanner. (Or if you know somebody who has a ScanGauge II, I think).

It needs to be reset, either at the dealership, service station or someone with an OBD-II diagnostic scanner. (Or if you know somebody who has a ScanGauge II, I think).

I actually just had my brother come over with his diagnostic scanner and he just reset it for me. I drove it around a bit after that and no more CEL! I guess I need to teach my wife how to use her gas cap. :D

When I had this problem the solution was to only fill the tank until the first shutoff of the pump. Don't keep trying to top it off. Something about a canister that collects vapors and recycles them.

i got the same mistake of having the cap untighten, and had the CEL reset by unpluging the battery (-) cable for about 10 min or so. This is an old method which I've been using most of the time for my 3-series bimmer.

you need to get yoru car to a dealership asap, a p0455 only sets after driving it for more than 20 miles and then letting it set overnight for at least 3 hours. very unlikely that it is a unproperly tightened gas cap. these are notoriously known for bad gas caps, bad filler pipes, and leaking or stuck purge solenoid valves, anytime your car in under waranty you would be an idiot to just clear the codes. You realize a p0455 means it is leaking gasoline vapors to the atmosphere at a large rate? You need to take it to a dealer before something serious happens. The other thing is disconnecting the negative cable?!?!? wtf you realize you reset all learned paramters and then ruin any fuel mileage your car should get until it has properly relearn drvign conditions and has met all mode 2, 6, 7, and 12 drive mode requirements? I am a mazda tech and i do not understand why someone would just clear the code and drive it. I will tell you right now, if it sets a code something is wrong with you car adn you need to let a professional fix it, not reset it

I am a mazda tech and i do not understand why someone would just clear the code and drive it. I will tell you right now, if it sets a code something is wrong with you car adn you need to let a professional fix it, not reset it

I appreciate what you are saying but the code hasn't come back on since it was cleared which says to me it that it was just a loose gas cap. That doesn't say the same thing to you? I promise you that if the code comes on again I will definitely take it in to the dealer immediately.

FYI, Autozone will read the codes for free, they can also perform a reset. If you have them reset the codes it will clear the CEL, if it returns I'd have them reread the codes again and then go to the dealer or another service center.

If you know the codes it's a little more difficult for any service shop to take you for ride............. I have several vehicles and I'll always have the codes read before I go to have any service done, weather at the dealer or a local shop............. pays to be a smart consumer...

P0455 EVAP control system leak detected (large leak) ON 2 Evaporative

Last edited:
Back