Shifting into reverse...

vhayne

Wow, haven't have this much trouble since my first car (Fiero GT). I've found a way to do it every time, but I worry about prolonged effects it may have.

As it is now, the only way I can shift into reverse is to:

1. Put shifter in neutral.
2. Quickly and sharply, throw shifter to the right (between 5th and 6th) and..
3. With the same force and speed, throw it back to the left all the way to reverse.

I literally tried for 10 minute the other day to just slide it into reverse straight from neutral. But it just wasn't going to happen.

I always thought it was normal on my Fiero, being a 4 speed with reverse in the same location as the MS3. But I'm curious to know......is this normal? It's a brand new car. I don't mind it if it's normal, I just want to put any worrys about it to rest. :)

Umm, if that is the ONLY way you can shift into reverse, then something is seriously wrong with your car. I'd take it into the dealer right away.

This is going to be a stupid question, but you did try putting it into neutral and then pushing the shift knob down toward the floor of the car, then left and over into reverse, correct?

Wow, haven't have this much trouble since my first car (Fiero GT). I've found a way to do it every time, but I worry about prolonged effects it may have.

As it is now, the only way I can shift into reverse is to:

1. Put shifter in neutral.
2. Quickly and sharply, throw shifter to the right (between 5th and 6th) and..
3. With the same force and speed, throw it back to the left all the way to reverse.

I literally tried for 10 minute the other day to just slide it into reverse straight from neutral. But it just wasn't going to happen.

I always thought it was normal on my Fiero, being a 4 speed with reverse in the same location as the MS3. But I'm curious to know......is this normal? It's a brand new car. I don't mind it if it's normal, I just want to put any worrys about it to rest. :)

Okay... I hate to insult you... but you are pushing down on the shifter before attempting to go into Reverse? Right?

EDIT: LMAO -- three replies all at 1:08 asking 'did you push down on the knob'

You realize that there is a reverse lockout and that you need to push down on the knob to open the gate for reverse, right?

+10

You realize that there is a reverse lockout and that you need to push down on the knob to open the gate for reverse, right?

If your not used to this type of manual tranny (reverese before 1st) then you'll have a problem. My wife had the same complaint until I directed her to push down on the knob before putting it into reverse.

the first time i used this type of tranny i kept running over people in front of me, when i really wanted to run over the people behind me!!

Imagine how stressed and frustrated this guy would still be if the internet and car forums didn't exist????

We have to push down on the knob? Boy is my wife going to be pissed when she finds out that she has been pushing my car out of parking spots for no reason. :D

Last edited:
What I'm more curious about is how does throwing the shifter into 5th or 6th and then into reverse allow you to bypass the reverse lock out. I'm guessing by fluke as you're jamming the shifter around you're pushing it down without knowing?

What I'm more curious about is how does throwing the shifter into 5th or 6th and then into reverse allow you to bypass the reverse lock out. I'm guessing by fluke as you're jamming the shifter around you're pushing it down without knowing?

Exactly what I'm thinking he's doing. He may not realize that he's pushing it down and into reverse.

where the hell is OP?
IF you are pushing down...pull the s*** apart and look at what's actually happening?
what's preventing it from sliding into reverse?
is there a piece of metal blocking the path? <- without pushing down, THERE IS A PIECE OF METAL THAT WILL BLOCK YOUR PATH

heh, we may never see the OP again.

Sorry for the delay in answering. I posted this on my lunch break, and just now got home from work.

Ok, this is one of those moments you just have to suffer the embarassment and man-up. :) Yep, ok, I'm an idiot. Did I read the manual before driving? Hell no. Drove MANY sticks in my life, and I never knew this.

So go ahead, make fun of me. :) haha I deserve it. Hell I'd make fun of me too in this case.

Geez I feel like a retard....

<crawls under a rock>

BTW, thanks guys for telling me how to properly do it.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in answering. I posted this on my lunch break, and just now got home from work.

Ok, this is one of those moments you just have to suffer the embarassment and man-up. :) Yep, ok, I'm an idiot. Did I read the manual before driving? Hell no. Drove MANY sticks in my life, and I never knew this.

So go ahead, make fun of me. :) haha I deserve it. Hell I'd make fun of me too in this case.

Geez I feel like a retard....

<crawls under a rock>

BTW, thanks guys for telling me how to properly do it.

holy s***...so wait a second. we can get rid of the lock out by op's method? hahahaha.

at least it was a simple mistake as opposed to a real big tranny problem

Back