P2187 Code Question

:
03 Mazda 6
Hey all.
I asked this question on another popular Mazda forum but, have yet to receive any response.

I have recently purchased a stock '03 2.3L Mazda 6 with about 66k on it and it runs great.
I do keep getting a cel though, and the code that comes up is P2187, lean condition at start/idle.
Through searching, I have learned that it seems to trace back to the solenoid purge valve and it also seems to be a pretty common problem.

Even though it seems to be pretty common, I have yet to find a write-up or how-to to fix this problem. Kinda surprises me, but maybe I just can't search worth a damn.

Does anyone have a link to a how-to or a diagram of where it's located and what it looks like?
Any help would be appreciated.

BTW - it still runs great even with the cel, so it doesn't seem to effect performance.
Thanks

Last edited:
P2187 PCV HOSE CRACKED
Applicable Models
Model Starting S/N Ending S/N Model Spec
MAZDA6 2003-2005 000000 ZZZZZZ 2.3L ONLY

Related Category/Subcategory/Symptoms
ENGINE / FUEL / DOES NOT TURN OFF/WARNING LIGHT
ENGINE / FUEL / ROUGH IDLE

MTOL - 4706 Dealer Repair Information
Symptom and Conditions
The check engine light will illuminate and set DTC - P2187 and in the
worst case, the engine may also have a very rough idle.

Repair Procedure

1. Perform a "vacuum hold test" on the purge valve by removing the hose
indicated and then applying vacuum to the purge valve tip.

If the purge valve holds vacuum, proceed to step #2.

If the purge valve does not hold vacuum, replace the purge valve.

2. Remove the intake manifold per the Work Shop Manual and inspect the
P.C.V. hose for crack(s).

If the P.C.V. hose is cracked, proceed to step #3.

If the P.C.V. hose is not cracked, continue troubleshooting the
concern.

3. Replace the P.C.V. hose.

Parts Information:

P.C.V. Hose L305-13-895 2003 MY
P.C.V. Hose L341-13-895 2004 - 2005 MY

Eeeeww, that sounds like a major PITA if I try to do it myself, or big $$ if I have the dealer do it.

I'd like to take the easy route and just replace the solenoid purge valve and cross my fingers that will cure it, but I don't know what it looks like or where it's located.

Thanks TRX for the great info.

I've been advised from mazdaonlineparts that the 2.3L does not have a true purge valve solenoid, but it does have 3 solenoid valves.
The one I ordered and will replace is the one located on the black rubber intake hose between the air box and throttle body.
Hopefully this will solve my cel problem.

it DOES have a puge solenoid it is right on the 2nd cam at the end of the head, it has a rubber isolator on it. I can get an exact part number for you tomorrow if you wish

If you can get a part # that would be great, I'd like to check into it.
This is for a 2.3L right?
Dammit, maybe I'm replacing the wrong damn part then.(freak)

OK, finally got the solenoid valve on the intake hose changed out (Monarch Mazda sent me the wrong one at first) went to the auto parts place and had them reset the cel. Came back on the next day. WTF!
So now I guess I need to pull the intake manifold apart to get to the PCV hose so I can replace it. Damn!
Anyone thats done this have any tips to make it go a little easier?
Anything else I need beside the PCV hose and 4 gaskets. I already have the PCV valve which is more like a 'unit' than just a valve. May as well replace it while I'm in there.
Should I put sealant on the gaskets? I know its not recommended now with some gaskets.
Any advise would be helpful.

I decided to take it in to the stealer just in the off chance they could find something else causing a 2187 code.
They say its the PCV hose under the intake. No surprises there.
They want $635 to repair it. Needless to say, I will be spending some time under the hood.
Still looking for some tips or suggestions from someone else who has done this.

Back