MSP 60k mile service

MSP2k3

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
I have been looking on the forums for any threads that list what the dealer does for each of the services.

Anyone know what all the dealer does for the 60k mile service for the MSP? Im guessing Timing Belt and such.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

timing belt should be inspected at 60k but probably wont need to be replaced till around 100k miles.

might be easiest to call the serv dept to see what this service entails...my guess is that 90% of it is stuff you could do yourself...

might be easiest to call the serv dept to see what this service entails...my guess is that 90% of it is stuff you could do yourself...
It's been awhile .. but I don't recall ever taking my MSP in for ANY of those 'blahblah-miles service' things. Like evil said -- chances are that you can do it on your own and save yourself the money.

Then again, I'm pretty psychotic about checking my car over about once a week, so I always know what my car needs and then I take care of it. But if you aren't really on top of your maintenance .. Eh, your call.

I never took ours in either lol I can change spark plugs myself thanks lol

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with their help. There is nothing that you cannot do yourself at the 60K mark. Change your plugs, coolant, pcv, air filter etc. Good idea to check and tighten your valve cover bolts, exhaust manifold bolts and all other connection clamps also. Rotate your tires and check the brake pads for wear. You could also check the t-belt but its most likely okay with only 60K.

No cels or driveability issues, then don't worry. Just do the basics as needed. I'm at 71K and my car has only seen the dealer for the flash and bushings back in 03.

I really need to change my coolant....guess its not too much of a pain to just drain the radiator and refill it lol

Yep you should do it ever 2 years or so. Flush it out a few times with the hose before you refill it with coolant. Pull the lower hose off while your doing that.

IIRC ~1.5 jugs should do the job. Fill it full, then fill the overflow tank to the cold line, start the car let it warm up a bit then check the overflow tank to see where you're at, you may need to add a little more.

lol aparently a jug of that stuff weighs 60lbs according to Autozones website hahahahahaha

What about warranty? Even though you can do all this yourself, the fact is that you need to prove that the recommendend maintenance was performed. I have no idea if taking pictures of what you do can serve as proof. But if your car catastrophically fails (it adds to the drama, doesn't it?) and you can't prove that you did what was recommended, you might be in for a nice discussion with your dealership. For what I see, your have so many mods on your car that maintenance would be the last of their arguments......pretty neat site for scheduled maintenance https://www.edmunds.com/maintenance...nsmission=MANUAL&zip=12345&synpartner=edmunds

lol... i wasn't going to take my car into the stealership... i never would .. i hate that place. I was wanting to know so that i could perform it all myself. Was just curious what they replaced around the 60k mile mark.. but i guess i should have said, what would you guys replace or check around 60k miles.

change plugs, inspect plug wires and such, coolant and the other little things mentioned here..

change plugs, inspect plug wires and such, coolant and the other little things mentioned here..

got it... I am starting to get a small belt squeak when the car is cold.. only happens for a second when i tap the gas. Any idea what would need to be replaced?

My dealership told me the 60k service was timing belt, valve cover gasket, plugs, air filter, oil change, and brake servicing. Nothing I hadn't been on top of myself.

Back