Engine problems - check engine light - EGR?

Hey guys,

Im not too savvy about engine knowledge so just bear with me if I come off as an idiot.

Ive been having a few problems with my car and was hoping someone could give me some advice.

First, my ride became really bumpy and the car would start vibrating when going over 100km/h. I had aftermarket shocks from a couple of years ago so I switched back to my stock ones.

A check engine light came on and I got it checked by a local mechanic (bad choice I guess), and he said nothing was wrong. Being an idiot, I kept driving. Then last week while driving down the highway, my car overheated and I had smoke come out of it. Pulled over, got the car towed to a shop to get it checked. Apparently the cooling liquid mixed with oil in the engine due to a head gasket malfunction (blow up?). The engined had to be "machined" to get all the valves functioning properly again and the head gasket fixed.

Now I brought the car home and while driving the light has come on again. I didnt even get to drive to over a 100 so I cant tell if that problem still exists. This time the mechanic says there is a problem with the EGR. From my research on wikipedia I cant really tell if its a big deal or not and if it is in fact the root cause of all my problems.

Ive spent $1500+ so far on this car, which by the way is a 2000 1.8l Protege, and I dont want to drain anymore money in for no reason.

Any help is appreciated.

Back