Different Engines?

:
Michigan
:
GenPu VRM MS3
My friend and I are experimenting with a Probe KL engine I've got sitting in my garage. Just wondering if anyone knew of any NA cars that put out 100 horse per liter of displacement? I know that the Honda K20 and the Toyota 2ZZ do, but I was wondering if there were any others, 4 bangers to W12's, anything... oh, lets say, since 1993. Oh, and dont count the rotary engine, those already have a special place in my heart for power/displacement. haha

A honda B16 makes 100hp per liter. I believe the s2000 does aswell. The 4.2 in the AUDI RS4 makes 420. The lexus ISF is in that arena also. Pretty much every other exotic has got to be close to that #.

The 4G93 found in the early '90s Mirage Cyborgs was a 1.6L rated at ~175HP, and the 6A12 in the FTO GPXs, which is a 2.0L V6 putting out ~200 HP. Honda weren't the only ones that knows how to implement variable valve timing systems back in those days.

ok thats cool. this is VERY experimental, but we're just trying to see if we can add a little "VTEC" to this engine. just give it some vvt, different cam profiles, etc to get 100 horse per liter naturally aspirated. we're trying to get examples of who has done this and in what engine, so that we could "copy" their lifts, durations, compression, etc so it might not take so much engineering and custom work. haha yeah right. anyways, keep the cars coming and thanks for the help. there's much R&D to come...

....you cannot implement vtec without redesigning the head entirely

1. its highly unlikely that you could do that
2. its not worth the cost, time, and money needed to get it done lol

get some high compression pistons and high lift cams

Ok guys, lets put this to bed once and for all:

VTEC/VVTLi/VVT etc does not make these engines you speak of make the power they make. Any alteration to cam profiles "on the fly" or cam overlap "on the fly" is PURELY a drivability and economy mod...i other words, it keeps the area under curve nice and fat, by pushing widening the range of revs the engine operates at or near peak VE.

vtec does NOT add power, no matter what any honda fan boy tells you. vtec is simply a small cam profile for low rpm, and a big cam profile for high rpm. if you go and put a set of big cams on your KL engine, you will have the same peak power potential.. you just wont have the same level of drivability. Personally I run a cam profile on my car that would make the vtec fan boys blush. Any of the guys running Honda motors seriously, actually DELETE vtec, so they are on a very large cam profile through the entire rev range.

achieving 100hp/L NA on the KLZE is pretty much a cake walk... the engine is a rev monster. Do some head work to deal with valve float, up the compression, balance the engine to support the RPM, get a set of tuned length headers (correctly made, custom designed), and run a tunnel ram intake manifold, and you will absolutely walk 100hp/L in...)

Information regarding just what is and is not required to get an engine to this level is available in the NA tech section, follow the link in my sig. I have done up a spreadsheet with the calculations for determining RPM and VE requirements for a given power goal.

seriously

vtec -- all of the lag, none of the boost
its like waiting for really bad sex

seriously

vtec -- all of the lag, none of the boost
its like waiting for really bad sex

it has its place..... it is fantastic at letting you have big cams without the drawback of big cams - but it is 100% a drivability/economy feature - NOT a performance feature. And honda's implementation is just about the worst implementation of variable cam timing/cam profiles around.

lol, that was my point
daily driver its great, but we aren't talking about a daily driveability application are we? =P

Back