Best way to soften the suspension?

PeterC

I am over the harsh ride of this car as I am not barreling through corners enough to take advantage of it. I don't mind a stiff suspension, but of all the sport compact cars I have owned this car takes it to an extreme. What are some ways to give this car a more comfortable ride? I was thinking dropping down to 17" wheels, but I am not sure that would make much of a difference.

I have 235-45-17's and it did soften the ride up a little bit. Plus they are 10 lbs lighter per tire/wheel, so straight line performance is better, as well as mpg.

Wow, you really think the MS3 has stiff suspension? I think it has soft suspension. What kind of sport compact cars have you had?

a tire with a larger and or softer sidewall will yeild a much softer ride quality

I dont have an MS3, but my P-5 is super stiff.
When I want a comfy ride, I just disconnect the rear sway bar.

sorry to thread jack but I agree sk8er my new MSP has a much softer ride with aftermarket springs and shocks w/ a drop compared to the stock suspension of the P5 with high mileage.

As stated above, The easiest way to soften the ride is to soften the sidewall of the tire. You will lose steering sharpness, though. The most sidewall you can gain is by using a 16" wheel that will fit aound the brakes. I think some have used an 16" FD rim with success.

What about swapping the suspension from a regular 3. I'm sure you could find someone that would even pay you a few bucks for your MS3 susp and give you their stock parts.

Wow, you really think the MS3 has stiff suspension? I think it has soft suspension.

Agreed. On my last car, I had K-sports with 9k/7k f/r spring rates... now that's stiff. I could feel my dental fillings rattle out just going over smooth roads. Any bumps, fuggedaboutit. The stock MS3 rides like a Cadillac in comparison.

I have 235-45-17's and it did soften the ride up a little bit. Plus they are 10 lbs lighter per tire/wheel, so straight line performance is better, as well as mpg.

I have that size tire. The ride is better without any loss of handling.

Thanks for the replies. I have had a 98 GTI, 02 WRX, and an 05 RSX Type S before this car. It's possible I am just getting old, or I notice it more because my girlfriend complains about it every time she's in the car.

Agreed. On my last car, I had K-sports with 9k/7k f/r spring rates... now that's stiff. I could feel my dental fillings rattle out just going over smooth roads. Any bumps, fuggedaboutit. The stock MS3 rides like a Cadillac in comparison.

LOL @ UR avatar. It goes to eleven, doesn't it?

... my girlfriend complains about it every time she's in the car.
I hate that!

I notice the MS3 being particularly sensitive to frost-heaves or any type of bump ~1 inch tall that you cross perpendicular to. I've actually memorized where most of these are on my commute so I can change lanes ahead of time to avoid them! At one point I was trying 40psi in my tires and that made it seem like the dashboard would fall off... I run 37 now and it's better, so that leads me to believe that a few less pounds of air or a softer sidewall would help a lot. Try running the minimum recommended pressures before you spring for new tires.

hehe I just hope that it came with stiffer suspension its soft for me but I dont want to lower my car....

Yeah, I would like it to be more firmer. I've got almost 13k miles on it and after the first 2k miles, I've noticed all the little stuff about the handling of the car. But it sure is a nice DD.

Thanks for the replies. I have had a 98 GTI, 02 WRX, and an 05 RSX Type S before this car. It's possible I am just getting old, or I notice it more because my girlfriend complains about it every time she's in the car.

I've driven all those cars and what I can tell you is, their suspension are a little softer then the MS3. The last car I drove was the Type S and I was surprised the suspension was pretty firm. But other then that, the MS3 handles way better then all those cars. Your girlfriend probably got you thinking about it more.

I got 17" wheels myself and hope that helps to improve the ride. In selecting a tire, I am thinking of a high performance all season tire to further improve ride comfort with lower tire pressures.

I still have a 02 WRX and that suspension is much softer than the MS3.

I agree that the ms3 has a relatively stiff suspension, (comparing it to my previous cars: Accord, Jetta, Tempo (lol!) and Oldsmobile) but again, its the price you pay for sporty handling

Back