Shop at EdgeAutosport.com to make your Mazda Go Fast AND Look Good!
Shop at EdgeAutosport.com to make your Mazda Go Fast AND Look Good!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to soften the suspension?

Registered Member

Best way to soften the suspension?

I am over the harsh ride of this car as I am not barreling through corners enough to take advantage of it. I don't mind a stiff suspension, but of all the sport compact cars I have owned this car takes it to an extreme. What are some ways to give this car a more comfortable ride? I was thinking dropping down to 17" wheels, but I am not sure that would make much of a difference.

'08 MS3

I have 235-45-17's and it did soften the ride up a little bit. Plus they are 10 lbs lighter per tire/wheel, so straight line performance is better, as well as mpg.
    Dan L.
    '08 Mazdaspeed3
    Cobb SRI/AP/DP, TurboXS FMIC
    Custom tune from EFI Logics

I dont have an MS3, but my P-5 is super stiff.
    When I want a comfy ride, I just disconnect the rear sway bar.

Stanced Member No. 5

08' MS3

Wow, you really think the MS3 has stiff suspension? I think it has soft suspension. What kind of sport compact cars have you had?

Registered Member StealthWyvern's Avatar

03.5 YLW MSP

a tire with a larger and or softer sidewall will yeild a much softer ride quality

Quote Originally Posted by o.g.sk8er View Post
    I dont have an MS3, but my P-5 is super stiff.
    When I want a comfy ride, I just disconnect the rear sway bar.
    sorry to thread jack but I agree sk8er my new MSP has a much softer ride with aftermarket springs and shocks w/ a drop compared to the stock suspension of the P5 with high mileage.

07 MS3

As stated above, The easiest way to soften the ride is to soften the sidewall of the tire. You will lose steering sharpness, though. The most sidewall you can gain is by using a 16" wheel that will fit aound the brakes. I think some have used an 16" FD rim with success.

Cosmic Blue 07 MS3, V1 hardwire, 20% tint, TRZ dogbone, MS CAI, TWM SS, Forge BPV, satin silver pc'd RX-8s (235/40 Sumi HTR-Z III), Corksport testpipe, Ventpod with Prosport electronic boost gauge, Yakima rack, 5k K HID lows and 3k K HID fogs, Medievil trans MM, Hawk PC fronts pads, Yellow Speed coilovers, cp-e TIP, stealthbox, Magnaflow catback, SM catch can, Corksport bypass hose, Hypertech tuner, AWR passenger side MM, Corksport lowering springs/dampers. Dents and scratches like whoa.

Yellow Speed coilover install tips

What about swapping the suspension from a regular 3. I'm sure you could find someone that would even pay you a few bucks for your MS3 susp and give you their stock parts.
    Balls

Items For Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by CnoTataymo View Post
    Wow, you really think the MS3 has stiff suspension? I think it has soft suspension.
    Agreed. On my last car, I had K-sports with 9k/7k f/r spring rates... now that's stiff. I could feel my dental fillings rattle out just going over smooth roads. Any bumps, fuggedaboutit. The stock MS3 rides like a Cadillac in comparison.
    2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 GT, True Red

Registered Member
    Donated: $20

2007 MS3

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted333 View Post
    I have 235-45-17's and it did soften the ride up a little bit. Plus they are 10 lbs lighter per tire/wheel, so straight line performance is better, as well as mpg.
    I have that size tire. The ride is better without any loss of handling.
    2007 MazdaSpeed 3

Quote Originally Posted by CnoTataymo View Post
    Wow, you really think the MS3 has stiff suspension? I think it has soft suspension. What kind of sport compact cars have you had?
    hehe I just hope that it came with stiffer suspension its soft for me but I dont want to lower my car....

Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I have had a 98 GTI, 02 WRX, and an 05 RSX Type S before this car. It's possible I am just getting old, or I notice it more because my girlfriend complains about it every time she's in the car.

07 MS3

Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Agreed. On my last car, I had K-sports with 9k/7k f/r spring rates... now that's stiff. I could feel my dental fillings rattle out just going over smooth roads. Any bumps, fuggedaboutit. The stock MS3 rides like a Cadillac in comparison.
    LOL @ UR avatar. It goes to eleven, doesn't it?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by PeterC View Post
    ... my girlfriend complains about it every time she's in the car.
    I hate that!

I notice the MS3 being particularly sensitive to frost-heaves or any type of bump ~1 inch tall that you cross perpendicular to. I've actually memorized where most of these are on my commute so I can change lanes ahead of time to avoid them! At one point I was trying 40psi in my tires and that made it seem like the dashboard would fall off... I run 37 now and it's better, so that leads me to believe that a few less pounds of air or a softer sidewall would help a lot. Try running the minimum recommended pressures before you spring for new tires.
    Brian
    08 BlackMica MS3 GT StreetTire D-Stock

Reformed mustang owner.

08 RED MS3

Trade it in on a regular mazda 3.
    Twin Cities Mustangs
    Bart: I smell a museum.
    Homer: Yeah, good things don't end with 'eum,' they end with 'mania' or 'teria.'

08' MS3

Quote Originally Posted by wisniaPl View Post
    hehe I just hope that it came with stiffer suspension its soft for me but I dont want to lower my car....
    Yeah, I would like it to be more firmer. I've got almost 13k miles on it and after the first 2k miles, I've noticed all the little stuff about the handling of the car. But it sure is a nice DD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast