Installing amp and sub into stock deck (head unit)

Pogster

I have a 2007 mazda 3 GS. I also happen to have a fairly cheap amp and sub lying around my place that i want to install in my car so i can get more bass. I don't really want to spend any money on this. I don't want to put in an aftermarket deck because all i listen to is my Mp3 player through the auxilary input in the centre glove box. Can an amp and sub be hooked up to the stock head unit? does it have a remote wire comming off it or can it work by branching a remote cable off the power cable comming from the battery? Secondly does the head unit have RCA out puts as well?

any help is appreciated

I'm almost into the same boat as you. I have an old system from my truck and I've been waiting to install it in my car. I'm just too lazy to do the work. But I have a head unit. You would think you could do it from the factory unit. Sorry I couldn't help ya out. Go talk to a stereo system place in your area. I'm sure they could answer your questions

I added a amp/sub to my stock unit by tapping into the audio line from my rear speakers. I believe the unit is called a line out converter.

Last edited:
I added a amp/sub to my stock unit by tapping into the audio line from my rear speakers. I believe the unit is called a line out converter.

Yes line out converter is correct. I have the same pushing a 300w fosgate mono amp into 2 jl 12w0s. Sounds amazing.

so how do you use a line out converter. does it branch from the rear speaker cable to the RCA signal inputs on the amp.. and what turns the amp on and off?

so how do you use a line out converter. does it branch from the rear speaker cable to the RCA signal inputs on the amp.. and what turns the amp on and off?

you still have to run the remote wire which turns on the amp when the key is on and turn the amp off when the key is off...There is a color code on the forum for all the wiring as far as power(remote) speaker wire colors etc...it help me find the correct color coded wires for right rear + and negative left rear etc...

is there a romote wire comming off the stock head unit it not where do i connect it

Yes there is a remote wire behind the dash you can tee into...like i said before there is a color code chart i think its in the how to section or the electronics section dont remember which one but try and check there it will give you all the colors of the wiring you need

Back