Busted gas tank door

Shekhet

Hi,

New here to forum. Please excuse any n00b mistakes.

I think that someone did something to my gas tank door on my 1999 Protege, like try to open it and siphon gas. I filled up this evening, and found that I could not close my gas tank door. Not the cap, which went in fine, but the little door that opens when you pull up the lever near the driver's seat with the little gas pump symbol on it. I looked over the door latch mechanism, but didn't know what to look for that was out of the ordinary. I haven't ever looked at the latch before, so I didn't know what was supposed to be normal. Anyway, instead of driving and parking the car with the door open and gas cap exposed, I slammed the door shut.

Now, the door won't open.

Aside from taking a screwdriver and prying open the door, replacing the now-busted door and latch, and repairing the paint near the opening point, what can be done?

Also, are there any locking gas tank caps available?

Thanks for your help.

First off, Welcome!!

The best thing to do is search the forum, i would take a pic for you but... to much Zoom Zoom and shes not doing so well, so its in the shop.

well i was going to say its was more then likely an issue with the little black button on the latch that got stuck in which is why it wouldnt stay closed, as for it not opening now, thats an issue, best thing i would think to do is to is take a light and shine in on the right side of the gas door, and see if u can see the little black pin, once you do try and move it with a thin screw driver, just be careful of your paint!

As for locking gas caps, go to autozone they have a whole variety, so they should have one for the protege, and they aren't too much $$ either.

welcome to the forums and if u need help finding the pin im talking about ask and ill get pics of what everything should look like

actually, here is a link to the one at autozone:
http://www.autozone.com/R,APP271348...partType,00145/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

Last edited:
Problem fixed; photos uploaded

Sorry for the long delay. Car was in the shop for many reasons. I fixed the gas tank door by bending one of the latches on the door itself. It was bent earlier in such a way that prevented the little "toggle" on the car side of the latch from bending, allowing the door to close. Imagine the metal plate on your house doorframe being bent in a manner that prevents the bolt on your door from being pushed in. Similar problem here. I bent the latch, and now the door closes.

I also bought a locking gas cap.

Here are some photos of the before:

Attachments

• DSC03230.JPG
    DSC03230.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 360
  • DSC03231.JPG
    DSC03231.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 451
  • DSC03238.JPG
    DSC03238.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 324