crank/camshaft position sensor

Judge Mills

:
2003 Mazda Protege 5
What do you guys think the symptoms would be if one of those sensors was going out on your car? Possibly running well for a few moments, only to run like crap afterwards, then, like the flip of a switch, run fine again?

My mechanic buddy thinks that is what may be wrong with my car, though he personally hasn't looked at it. Just wondering what ya'll think.....

(dunno)

I'm by no means a mechanic, but as far as I know, they go, and then after that, the car doesn't. I had a 90 Lumina once, and it had a crank sensor with a crack that oil seeped into. I drove and parked it, and it never started again until I had it replaced. Just my experience.

The bolt in my cam possition sensor came out once and it would shut off in hard left hand turns, then it would come back on after sitting. The wire had enough tension to push it back in the hole, took a while but I figured it out.

Did you have an aftermarket crank pulley? Might check the crank timing wheel bolts if so. Think I saw another thread where that had happened.

Yeah, you'd think, unless it just hasn't gotten that bad yet. If he has oem crank then nevermind on that.

Did you have an aftermarket crank pulley? Might check the crank timing wheel bolts if so. Think I saw another thread where that had happened.

Yep happened to me with an aftermarket pulley. The timing wheel on the pulley sheared of. Car immediately stopped running...

Hmm? Too lean? Injector or fuel pump issue & loose crank wheel bolts? oem or aftermarket crank pulley?

Hmm? Too lean? Injector or fuel pump issue & loose crank wheel bolts? oem or aftermarket crank pulley?

Don't know about the crank.... I'll have to look today when I get off work.

i took it to the shop and they replaced the intake gasket,telling me that was the problem... yet it's still running the same...:mad:

I had all the symptoms my car was going through in another thread.... but basically in this video, after exactly 1:25, it starts running like crap....

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=35653548

Yeah, I can hear when it went bad but can't really tell from not being there tho. Something to do with after it gets warmed up a bit?

The crank sensor is so your not tearing teeth off the crank when you start it, so it's not that. It sounds like it something that is fuel or vacuum related since it's not right away.

Yeah, I can hear when it went bad but can't really tell from not being there tho. Something to do with after it gets warmed up a bit?

yeah, it's a bad video....

Well, there will be other times that when you start it up, it is running like that, then a few minutes fine, runs perfect... it goes back and forth while running...

The crank sensor is so your not tearing teeth off the crank when you start it, so it's not that. It sounds like it something that is fuel or vacuum related since it's not right away.

Well, i'm installing a factory intake, as the aftermarket one was rubbing against the master cylinder and got a hole rubbed through it.... that may be throwing the MAF sensor off possibly ??

I said loose not missing bolts & unattached. There have been instances where it was in place, not tearing teeth off but loose enough to cause a cel & make the car run faunky. Of course it's gonna tear s*** up if the bolts are gone & the sensor wheel is free & floppin around behind the crank pulley. Bet it would make god awful noise too, right? I will agree that it probably wouldn't come & go like OP said it was doing tho.

CKP fires spark plugs. CMP fires injectors. Sounds like either a loose wire or vacuum leak. The shop probably did a leak test and only found one of the many that you have. When the motor warms up, there is the possibilty that the hoses become more flexible and start to leak. As for the sensors, you can put an Ohm meter on them to see if they are within spec.

We need more information like does it idle bad? What else has been changed. When did the problem start?

Think about what is changing when the problems occur....

Im having the same problem also but found out 2 of my ignition coils keep burning out so i replaced them 2 times within 3 month not sure whats causing the problem and someone at a shop told me i should replace the crankshaft. it was running normal but yesterday i was at a stop and the idle dropped and it sounded like it was sputtering so i turned it OFF and ON and went back to normal.

Back