Gas cap minor mod

dan1101

If it's stupid but it works, then it's not stupid.

2510024322_f53bf7d6e6_b.jpg

I got sick of my gas cap hanging down touching the side of my car, so with the application of a little velcro pad I can keep the gas cap off the paint. :D I'm sure somebody else could think of something better to use.

Not bad......I remember reading a thread sometime back about how to hang the cap on the back of the fuel door.......I always try, but it falls off in mid-pump.

Yeah you would have thought they would have considered a little hook when they designed the door. I wonder if you can just bend that flap?

I thought about just cutting the damn thing free so I can take the cap off and away from the paint. Anyone see any harm in that?

Yeah what bracket? I have tried to think of every logical way to get the cap away from just resting on the paint but haven't figured it out.

I hope there isn't a way so I don't feel like a total idiot..

it's still a pain in the ass and half the time comes off. also the fact that the plastic strap that connects to the hinge has to rotate around and half the time it's all whacked out and just ends up pissing me off. i may try that little velcro mod, or bend up the tab a little.

it's still a pain in the ass and half the time comes off. also the fact that the plastic strap that connects to the hinge has to rotate around and half the time it's all whacked out and just ends up pissing me off. i may try that little velcro mod, or bend up the tab a little.

It works fine for me. It's not quite as convenient as the setup on my Club Sport but it's adequate.

I was wondering about this on my first 3 fill ups. I'll have to try this out next week when I'm gassin' up! I gassed up last night and I even pulled out the owners manual to see if there was a way/place to put it.

Thanks for sharing the photo ///M, I figured there was some way to secure the cap on one of those protrusions, I'll have to try it.

Some sort of small hook would be even better than the velcro pad.

One more pic... Hasn't fallen out yet. Only on my fourth tank, though. :D

Attachments

• DSC02599.JPG
    DSC02599.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC02601.JPG
    DSC02601.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 247
yeah mine works most of the time. my only grip is that strap has to get turned around in its little swivel and it fights me sometimes.

the few times mine fell off is i was placing it too close to the gas door and the protruding metal tab was grabbing the upper rim of the cap, that one above where it's supposed to be, towards the top (lettering side), and it works but not as good as the one in that pic above.

I use the same method with the bracket jammed between the "washer" and the cap. The only time I've ever had it fall off while fueling is when I didn't rotate the tether before hooking it on and it just tugged it right out. If I think about it for 2 seconds while unscrewing it then I just do it automatically. Oh and I've been doing it this was for about three years.

Back