What else to replace while replacing Timing Belt ?

dd123

:
Mazda protege-5 2002
Just wondering what else to replace while repairing timing belt/water-pump without becoming too anal about your car.
here is the list I got from this forum which I tihnk is overstretched probably:

BELT,TIMING Part No : FS01-12-205A
TENSIONER,TIMING BELT Part No : FS01-12-700B
SPRING,TENSIONER Part No : FS01-12-711
IDLER Part No : FS01-12-730A
PUMP,WATER Part No : 8AG9-15-010
V-BELT Part No : FS12-18-381A
V-BELT Part No : FS12-15-909A

I think idler/tensioner pulleys need to be replaced only after they are found bad during inspection. These are expensive piece ~$100..

Let the discussion begin

I would just go ahead and change the idle/tensioner spring while your at it... Looks like you did some excellent research...

Timing belt, tensioner spring & water pump. All else optional upon inspection.

Additionally you can do multiple Upgrades/Modifications while doing the Timing belt...

Lightweight/Underdrive Pulley - You have to remove the stocker, so it's NO EXTRA WORK...

Intake/Exhaust Cams - Would add about 30 minutes to the total time...

Also, might as well to new spark-plugs while you're at it...they are pulled anyway....

look for any seepage at front main seal. Usually don't leak, but this is the time to catch it. The pulleys are about $30 each on eBay etc. if you look around. Definitely do if suspect. I'd also maybe do these every other timing belt. Since the engine is non-interference, it's not a terrible gamble to keep one if it still seems to have a smooth bearing.
A new valve cover gasket if it's seeping (these are like $30 grrrr) And check the coils for rust and plug wires for condition. Yeah a great time to replace the plugs. At least clean and verify/set the gaps.

Last edited:
look for any seepage at front main seal. Usually don't leak, but this is the time to catch it. The pulleys are about $30 each on eBay etc. if you look around. Definitely do if suspect. I'd also maybe do these every other timing belt. Since the engine is non-interference, it's not a terrible gamble to keep one if it still seems to have a smooth bearing.
A new valve cover gasket if it's seeping (these are like $30 grrrr) And check the coils for rust and plug wires for condition. Yeah a great time to replace the plugs. At least clean and verify/set the gaps.

Just got my spark plug replaced. What are these pulleys ? Any name for them ? I read somewhere with these pulleys you get cel etc etc.

Thanks

The tensioner and idler are the 2 pulleys. They each have a smooth surface that pushes against the back side of the timing belt. Don't confuse this with special "underdrive" pulleys that replace the big one on the crankshaft that drives the accessory belts, or with special pulleys on the alternator, etc. themselves.

Last edited:
The tensioner and idler are the 2 pulleys. They each have a smooth surface that pushes against the back side of the timing belt. Don't confuse this with special "underdrive" pulleys that replace the big one on the crankshaft that drives the accessory belts, or with special pulleys on the alternator, etc. themselves.

Thanks

Is removing Lightweight/Underdrive Pulley worth it ? Whats the advantage or disadvantage ?

Thanks

Is removing Lightweight/Underdrive Pulley worth it ? Whats the advantage or disadvantage ?

You'll remove the stock crankshaft pulley to get the timing belt off. It weighs several pounds. An underdrive one will be real light, plus is smaller in diameter, may 85% or so. So all the driven components turn slower. I have one and mainly notice it getting into higher RPMs, but it adds responsiveness at any speed. Your A/C may cool a little slower from a start, but people don't seem to have many problems with them. I'd say this is a worthwhile mod, with medium bang for the buck. You can easily do it later though - no need to pull the timing belt to change it.

You'll remove the stock crankshaft pulley to get the timing belt off. It weighs several pounds. An underdrive one will be real light, plus is smaller in diameter, may 85% or so. So all the driven components turn slower. I have one and mainly notice it getting into higher RPMs, but it adds responsiveness at any speed. Your A/C may cool a little slower from a start, but people don't seem to have many problems with them. I'd say this is a worthwhile mod, with medium bang for the buck. You can easily do it later though - no need to pull the timing belt to change it.

For UDP, I read that you have to tighten the belt again and again and that's a pain.
Any insight on this belt thing with udp ?

Mine is an Unorthodox Racing (ie "UR") pulley, and I've not had any slippage problems. You do need to buy slightly shorter belts since it's smaller than stock.

Mine is an Unorthodox Racing (ie "UR") pulley, and I've not had any slippage problems. You do need to buy slightly shorter belts since it's smaller than stock.

do you have to tighten the pulley frequently ? any precautions to take with this belt on ?

did you feel you gained any power or it was all placebo ?

ummmm......That post was a surprise!

So is the timing belt something that isn't too hard that can be done by yourself?

I'm guessing the valve cover gasket is a necessary replacement during this job?

EDIT: I can't find any of the major auto parts stores that sell the tensioner spring. Anyone been able to pick this up at O'Reilly or some place like that?

Last edited:
I'm guessing the valve cover gasket is a necessary replacement during this job?

So guys, I am at 110k and have postponed my timing belt replacement to some time in far future since I have seen people having their cars without replacing timing belt even at 150K

I'm at 94K and I'm about to do it. This is something you don't want to put off until it snaps. Just like the serpentine belts. Why risk it?

Back