Operation Danger Kart build log

Surprisingly, the stock oil feed line bolted right up. Pretty large for stock, and nice as well. Got a few bugs to work out. Car will be back on the road in the best of shape. The car sounds like it's hungry and damn pissed off as well. Only thing left is some Banjo fittings for the wastegate vac line. Gotta go back through and tighten up all the bolts on the manifold, sounds like a few didn't get tightened up like they should.

As for tuning, nothing yet, just my right foot. I'm not going to be ripping any cars a new asshole just yet. Just wanted to get her back up and running.

In short, the car already runs like a long legged pissed off Puerto Rican.

Last edited:
Car ran into a little trouble today. Some of the people helping forgot to tighten down a few very important bolts. Dug into it a little more tonight. There is a restrictor in the oil line, so no worries there. Also had some mad leaks involving two blown out gaskets. After a whole lotta copper silicone and two new gaskets, this car is a full pull. The engine bay is now a copper theme, lol.

It pulls harder than it did earlier, thanks to the gaskets. Feels so good to finally have a car that runs properly again. I now know what it feels like not to have to prove yourself to the ricers who rev.

A little update for all of you. No zoom zoom boom yet, as some might have thought. Car is running like a champ, just harder than hell to build boost. This turbo is BIG for the car.

Should have some more fuel related parts coming in within the week.

Back from the dead. I got the racing seats in this morning, used the stock rails that bolted right up. I feel really safe, oh my God<-- John Travolta scientology episode.

Also picked up an Apexi Safc today for $250, never used, and a Auto Meter pyrometer for $50 never used. The SAFC and the pyrometer will be going in next Sunday. All that is left is injectors and a wideband, new manifold because the current one sucks balls, and two new tires.

New manifold will be purchased next Friday, right along with the wideband.

Bought the Hiboost manifold today! Got new tires coming. Split second is coming out and the Apexi SAFC is going in this weekend.

umm dude sorry to break it to you but the safc dosent work with these cars. The ecu will learn right over top of it and correct everything you do.

your better off keeping the split second. I dont know anyone that is using the apexi safc on the msp. But now that im thinking about it if you really want to use the safc your gonna need a 02 voltage clamp and a maf clamp as well if you got both of those you could possibly get the safc to work correctly but im not making any guarentees. As far as pricing goes the FM 02 clamp is 130 bucks and the Joe p maf clamp is 80 bucks so your better off with the split second.

split second is much better. since your going big turbo, instead of buying safc, i would buy a j&s safegaurd or buy the ss ftc

if he was going to get the j&s why would he need a ftc when the j&s can control timing by boost and rpm range or really how ever you want it to control it

i also have a question how does the ftc have a boost retard feature? it has no way of retarding the boost pressure. It dosent have its own solenid,and it dosent hook into anything boost related besides a vacume line going to its internal map sensor so i dont see anyway it can retard boost.

I researched the S-AFCII last night and am going to go unichip instead. Oh well, I will be happier in the end.

i also have a question how does the ftc have a boost retard feature? it has no way of retarding the boost pressure. It dosent have its own solenid,and it dosent hook into anything boost related besides a vacume line going to its internal map sensor so i dont see anyway it can retard boost.

Correct ... it has timing advance/retard.

Good luck with Unichip and forking out lots of green to get it tuned by a shop that might not exist locally.

you got guts bro, but i would LOVE to see someone pull something new and unique out of there ass and boost the MSP hype haha....id love to eventually try for like a 10 second MSP....since the best posted is 12 something

i drive my car hard and anything that blows up is getting upgraded and going to keep going haha....im about 2000 bucks of mods away from 9-10 psi daily and seeing how it goes.

best of luck and ill be watching :D

lol, use the search Button, Youll find some fast Proteges Around...

if he was going to get the j&s why would he need a ftc when the j&s can control timing by boost and rpm range or really how ever you want it to control it

the j and s was used for limited timing control back when there were no other tuning units available.

you can set the j and s up to retard 1 or 2 degrees for every pound of boost, but that is all of the control you have. you do not have the ability to build a timing map. Nor can you advance the timing with the j and s if you add methanol to the mix.

also, the j and s "can" have a feature that pulls timing at peak rpm. however, this is another feature that was used back when there were no other units available.

its best to use the j and s as the on the fly knock protection unit and use a different engine mangament system to create timing maps IMO.

There is a shop Locally that actually recommended using a Unichip, and they have the ability to tune it.

he said he has the ss afc. that is a air fuel controller. thats it. i suggested something with timing control because of the large turbo set up. 2 easy options would be the ss ftc. that retards timing as boost goes up accordingly to how much timming the user decides to take out. it doesnt take boost away. it takes away timing.

or he can keep the afc and buy a safeguard. that also is another way to retard timing.

Back