Operation Danger Kart build log

HighwayUFO

:
2003.5 MSP, 2000 Miata LS, 2006 MS6, 2008 MS3,2013 MS3
Seeing as how the other thread has somewhat failed, figured I would start an actual build log.

Car started out as a stock 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege. Didn't even have the car in my direct possesion before I bought the FMIC, piping and HKS SSQV BOV. Installed the Lowering springs in the spring of '07. The Intrax springs were sourced from a 1st gen Ford Probe and fit perfectly. Purchased the Enkei 10 spoke wheels sometime in the fall for $75 with damn near new Yokohama Advan tires.

Did a baseline dyno pull and netted 250 FWHP and about 260 lb/ft of torque at roughly 18psi. Stock Garrett GT-25rs turbo blew up in early '08. Purchased a new TO4E turbo for $250.

Ordered a TiAL external Wastegate sized 38mm. Also ordered an OBX manifold. Once I got everything, I went to Midas with a flange that I cut off the manifold for the wastegate. Had them reweld it 90 degrees from stock to help marry the wastegate piping back into the exhaust piping.

Here is a pic of the mock up that I did before it goes in...

outofcarmockup.jpg

With all that being said, car should finally be back up and on the road by next Monday, after a 3 month hiatus.

I did run 18 psi on the stock turbo, and that is why you see the new manifold, wastegate and turbo. The sotck unit blew up, siezed up, and for now the fun times are over. Should be twice the car she was in a little over a week.

nice man it looks tight!

:D pm me and ill give you my shipping adress so you can ship it to my door!

Nice try man. Sorry.:D

If you ever find yourself in Idaho, I will let you drive it. I hope that is a fair compromise. :D

Subbin'

Interesting build on stock internals? Dare devil I see. What are you using to control fuel...ss afc?

Well, the way I see it, the MSP's run pig rich, so I figured I will be real conservative with the new set up, run about 9 psi. My next mod after the turbo swap will be the fuel system. Planning of going with an SAFC, 440 injectors. I also heard that NGK hopped on the wideband wagon, supposed to be the cheapest yet one of the most accurate around. Dunno about that one yet. NKG for Spark, Bosch for O2 is the old addage.

As far as my goals, looking for 10 psi daily, 14 for track and fun. Looking for about 350 FWHP. That should be plenty fun enough.

yep safc wont work youll need a o2 voltage clamp and possibly a maf clamp to make it work other wise the ecu will learn aound it

but it is a nice turbo set up! get some cheep rods and pistons like the k1's and wiesco pistons and then turn up da boost.

well that is true, they are not cheep but with those rods and pistons it will reduce the ammount by some. they are pretty good quality and will last if the motor is built and tuned right.

Don't worry about the motor. The way I'm planning this build is around daily driven. I'm not planning on blowing the doors off a Lambo with this setup. The car is a long way from any sort of a finished product. Just getting a start is all. I guess I want to see just how far the motor will go.

Back