vibration

P5inMD

:
Mazda Protege5
so I got my wheels replaced and was getting some terrible shaking above 55 mph. so I went back to the shop and the balance was off. its now better, but I still feel shaking. I was wondering if anyone else feels shaking in the steering wheel and what it can be? sometimes when I hit the brake from high speeds, the steering wheel shakes. any help? do I need to replace my suspension/steering components?

I had this problem with my old wheels. After having them balanced and the car aligned, the vibration was still there. I did the five lug swap, and the vibration was gone. My front rotors were extremely warped.

I'd say have the alignment checked, could also be the front rotors are warped.

Did you change the tires with the new rims? I had this problem once where the tires I bought could only go on the left or right side of the car and they put them on wrong.

Also, sounds like the rotars are warped or the brake pads are warped. I had this specific issue and updated both rotars and pads after doing a full day run at Deals Gap. :)

alignment wont shake your steering wheel. It'll make the wheel pull or be off-center...but not physically shake.

shaking is either a balance issue, a tire issue or a brake issue.

If brakes: you'll notice the vibration more so under braking (really hard braking is the best test).

If Tires: the vibration will be more noticable at highway speeds and wheel balancing has nothign to do with it. The only test is through a road-force balancer. Otherwise you can try to check your tread and look for bubbles/misalignment that might hint at broken belts or whatever.

thats all my experience anyway

Thanks for the help. Its gotta be the 6 year old rotors. Looks like I gotta spend more money on this car :( the tires are new. Alignment was jus done 2 weeks ago, that's how I found out I needed new tires. Thanks again

Oh, and no matter what I do, the car pulls to the left. New alignment or not. Any clue why? I've tried higher tire pressure in the left wheels, but no help

With 6 year old rotors, start with that. If it still pulls, then get another alignment.

Could be wheel bearings or worn tie rods.

I just replaced the wheel bearing on mine, it was shaking and pulling.

I need to go get my P5 looked at I guess... I have my harmonic resonance noise around 55-60 mph all the time, happened with snow tires and with the brand new ones I just had put on.

I am thinking bearing, but I jacked up the car and tried to yank on the tire, but no movement of the wheel at all.

I would take it to the dealer (Arlington, VA), but they just tried to hose me, so I wont go there. I dont have a local mechanic yet, so I am not sure what the next step is. I guess Im just worried its not a wheel bearing, but something like a transmission or differential bearing, that if it goes, Im in biiiiiig trouble...

Back