Need help after timing belt replacement

Chawk

:
2000 Mazda Protege
I have the 2000 1.6 dohl motor, i changed the timing belt and made sure to make everything from the crankshaft and the camshafts, put it all back together several times and still get no start. I have tried to take it apart and put it back together about 4 or 5 times now. I cannot figure out why this will not start. I checked the cyllinders and the 1st and 4th are all the way to the top, the cams and crankshaft are aligned but still no start.

Does anybody have any suggestions? and is this a non interference or interference motor? Thank you.

what does that mean? do you mean that i have the timing totally reversed? I checked the cyllinders, and the first and 4th are at the top. this car has not distributor which drives me crazy.

well i figured out that the white mark on the timing guide is supposed to indicate cyllinder one top, but my cyllinder appears to be off by 180 degrees. I think what I will have to do is take timing belt off, then find top dead center, then align the camshaft sprockets with the crankshaft sprockets. I think this may work, but I really dont know.

thats what i said about the 180 degrees.

the #1 goes to TDC on the compression stroke and the exhuast stroke. If you have it at the exhuast stroke when it hsould be compression its 180 off. It will hurt anything interferance or not but it will not start becuase your getting spark with the exhaust valve open and what not.

sorry i didnt respond back earlier or a better post but its been a rough day at work.

thank you very much for getting back to me. I had no idea what you were talking about at first, but after realizing how to find tdc through my manual i realized that what you said was right, i have everything off by 180 degrees. I will adjust everything this weekend and post back the results. *** I want to warn people about changing timing belts**** make sure you know what you are doing, and dont be a dumb ass like myself, because i had not idea what tdc was, and should not have messed with anything. But i will get her running again because i always do. I then plan to draw up a how to.

still no god damn start! i went out tonight made sure my crank shaft sprocket was sitting at 12 oclock set my cams, the put on the belt, made sure there was no slack on the the tensioner side, put everything back together, after rotating the engine to make sure the marks were aligned and still no god damn start. I am starting to think that something went back on me during the replacement job.

Does anybody have any ideas?

guy's i need some help. I was trying to start the car last night and it would turn over but would not start. I marked everything up according to the haynes manual and when trying to start the car after a while some smoke was coming from the maf area. any ideas?

Make sure you tension the side without the tensioner not the other way around, because if you don't you'll throw everything off again, and check your cam sensor as well.

okay i will try to do that, it seems like the belt is just a tight fit and that i could not move the teeth to allow more tension on the tensioner side, but i really did not try to hard i will be sure to do that.

I have checked the cam position sensor, there are no metal shavings on it or anything and it is plugged in. I was thinking that maybe the problem was there. It just has to be the timing belt not aligned right.

I hope you are right about the tension because I am pretty sure I aligned the cams and crank sensor right, and they all stay aligned when rotating the crankshaft.

Hey guys what is that big rubber looking cyllinder thing that sticks straight up and is mounted on top of the right motor mount?

i'm guessing that that rubber thing is against excessive vibrations, i'm not sure. i forgot to put it back in on mine and haven't replaced it since. and just to make sure, when you place the belt on the teeth, the slack should be on the tensioner side (left side when looking straight at it), i know this all sounds really repetative but just making sure your not leaving anything out.

i think this may be where i am having my problem. I probably wont be able to work on it again until next weekend or so, but I was not able to tension anyside more than the other, but now that I think about it, i put some pressure on the tensioner against the bolt and tightened it down. I think I am putting to much pressure on the tensioner side. I will try to loosen this and adjust the teeth.

the belt just barely fits on there even with the tensioner bolt fully loosened. but once again i think that i sm putting to much pressure on the tensioner pulley

I just got done adjusting the timing belt so there was absolutely no slack on the side opposite of the tensioner. The car still would not start.
-
i took the # 1 plug out and tested for spark there was no spark when trying to start.
-
i then put the # 1 back and took out the number 4 plug, this had spark.
-
i then figured that my timing was 180 degrees off still.
-
So I adjusted everything and put the timing back 180 degrees and put everything back together and still no start.
-
when trying to start I got no spark at the # 1 cyllinder. when taking the plug out there is a poof noise that comes from the # 1 cyllinder when the plug is removed. I hoping that this is just compressed air from the pistons, but at this point I do not know.
-
the thing that confuses me, is that I took the old timing belt on and put the new one on, I never messed with the cams, or the crankshaft and it would not start. I dont understand why this would be. it would seem that the car would at least start, and if off by a tooth or so it would not run smooth.
-
I am totally stumped.

check Cylinder #2 see if your getting spark and then check #3

How do the plugs look.

back in the day you used to beable to put your finger over the spark plug whole and then turn it or crnak it untill your finger is pushed off. that was the compression stroke and ............

umm hmm let me think. what could be the issue.

nwo this is a 2.0 motor right?

it sounds like a spark or ignition issue.

Double check makr sure everything is connected, then recheck. look for loose wires or something.

Im going to try to keep on top of the thread but i get cuaght up in things. PM my other name on Here "ghettoracingkid" as this one i jsut use oncei na blue moon becuase i dont have much time but waht not long story...

Back