Pinging in your MS3

fastgascar

:
07' MS3
Is anyone else experiencing pinging from there MS3? When accelerating in the lower gears from low RPM's, for ie. crusin @ 65 and simply going wide open to pass? Seems to be more noticeable during tip in......

I've never heard pinging in my car in the 31k miles. My last car (a mazda 6s)pinged like crazy on cold days so I'm trained to listen for it.

Do you have any mods and do you use 93 octane?

We only have 91 over here, 100 is $6.99 a gallon not going that route. I have the MS CAI/CBE

I've never heard pinging in my car in the 31k miles. My last car (a mazda 6s)pinged like crazy on cold days so I'm trained to listen for it.

Do you have any mods and do you use 93 octane?

if you have a cia its boost spike someone recently blew there engine from that. u should get fuel cut instead of knock!! u prob have a bad knock sensor.. it happens at low rpms in the upp gears just like u are saying

We only have 91 over here, 100 is $6.99 a gallon not going that route. I have the MS CAI/CBE

im in phoenix too, i think 56th street and bell still has 93 octane at a circleK 76, but i am not sure of the cost. and im not sure where exactly you live, but i thought i'd let you know

The MS3 was tuned on 91 octane unlike the MS6 which was tuned on 93. Why does everyone blame 91 octane for everything with this car? I have over 23,000 miles on 91 octane and no problems at all.

The car is tuned for 91 and above, with 91 being the minimum. With breather mods 93 would be the smarter thing to use if available (imo). Even if 91 was available here (and I'm pretty sure it is in some areas), I'd never chance it to save a few bucks.

Also I'm not automatically blaming the octane level, jut trying to find out a little more info about his car. For all you know, he could've been using 87 in it.

fyi colder air intakes reduce the tendency to knock. thats why you are putting it on in the first place..what do you people think its for?

if you didnt get a cel and you plugs look fine I bet its not knocking at all. If you actually care if you car is knocking bring it to a dyno shop and have them hook up your car to the dyno and place a wide band 02 sensor in the exhaust to get a reading on the a/fs in boost. you can also do a simple compression test on the engine that takes no more then 30 mins to verify you havent done any damage to your engine.

or just bring your car into any mazda dealer and ask them to inspect it under warranty. they can read the ecu to see if there were any large misfires reported to the ecu.

Last edited:
fyi colder air intakes reduce the tendency to knock. thats why you are putting it on in the first place..what do you people think its for?

Hum I dont know... I thought 99.9% of the people who put them on did so to get a denser mixture due to the colder air hence giving more power... Im no expert so I wont argue if denser fuel mixture reduces tendency to knock or not but I assure you I doubt 99.9% of the people who put them on even consider KNOCK into the equation....

Mine has done this twice in the last 2 weeks and its stock and did it at 2700 rpms which isnt high rpm but not lug territory either... not quite sure it was knock or ping either as it was quite loud.... taking it in for service anyhow... Im suspecting the fuel pump tsb but what do I know...

colder air into turbocharger = colder air out of turbocharger. Same purpose as an intercooler really. End result is cooler denser air as you stated which would lead to less knock or pinging. This allows the ecu to put in more timing as the knock threshold is improved to make more power or at the least keeps the ecu from pulling as much timing compared to a stock box injesting warm air.

If you arent throwing a cel im guessing its something rattling or vibrating. Like I said just get mazda to scan the ecu and you are good to go.

im in phoenix too, i think 56th street and bell still has 93 octane at a circleK 76, but i am not sure of the cost. and im not sure where exactly you live, but i thought i'd let you know

I'll have to check that Circle K out its down the street from my office. Thanks for the HU.

I am going to experiment with different stations. I think it happens alot more when I go to Costco for fuel, maybe I am getting crappy fuel.

Last edited:
they had one of those store here its shut down now but i had got gas one time before i got my ms3 and it was crappy fuel for sure. right now all i use is shell or chevron where ever i can find it not many of those here.

Update: So far it does it with Chevron/Shell/Mobile, it only does it with the A/C on, it especially does it when you are accelerating, back off for a sec or 2 and then back on it full throttle.

I called a dealer about this and asked if that new TSB with the fuel pump and ECU flash would help. They said no that this a driver error and to down shift and if it goes away then there was too much load on the engine for the gear it was in.

I tried it and it works so it isnt anything more then needing to be in a better gear when you want to get on it. My supercharged Tacoma would do the same thing so there is a "way" to drive boosted cars and apparently its necessary to get in the higher RPM's.

Latest posts

Back