Key Question about Mazda5 Keys

I just got an '08 Sport AT - 24 hours and I'm in love with it.

The salesperson, in his briefing said - "Don't lose any keys - they are something like $298 each!" Which seems absolutely ridiculous - but I know with the anti-theft chip built into them, you are dependent on the dealer for them. I'd like to have a third key made as an emergency spare - at one point or another in my years with cars - I've always made use of one.

I stopped at the dealer today and asked if they could make a key that didn't have the remote, so it would be cheaper. The answer was they could indeed make me a key - but it would only open the doors (and not start the car) or I could just buy another factory remote.

My question is:
What's the cheapest way to get a another key that will start the car, but doesn't necessarily need the remote.

And a related question:
Anyone know the actual (approx.) cost of the OEM key (and the cost of the dealer to set it)?

Thanks in Advance.

the key has the chip for the code... if you where sold the "mazda key" that belongs to the 5 in the first place. So program just the key and your on your way.... if the key was not intended to be used on the 5 in the first place then it will never accept a program to my knowledge.

The key and remote although attached are two different items.....

hope that helps

Thanks for the quick response Zoom5Zoom:
Just to clarify: I didn't purchase anything today. So far, I have just my two OEM remotes that came with the car.

If I understand you correctly - I could theoretically buy just the key from the dealer - without the remote - and have them program that. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Thanks for the quick response Zoom5Zoom:
Just to clarify: I didn't purchase anything today. So far, I have just my two OEM remotes that came with the car.

If I understand you correctly - I could theoretically buy just the key from the dealer - without the remote - and have them program that. Is that correct?

Thanks.

i've been told... buy one programble key without remote from ebay and they also tells you "how to program the chip inside".. then just cut the key at local walmart or locksmith etc..

I have not tried any, but this *might* help. Saved it some time ago from old posts....

Attachments

• MZ5_Extra_Key_Information.gif
    MZ5_Extra_Key_Information.gif
    67.3 KB · Views: 198
  • MZ5_key_fob_program.pdf
    355.3 KB · Views: 173
I had no problem programming the key using the instructions posted by coolmazda5. I was unable to program the remote purchased on ebay. I have since learned that the electronics in the remote were changed for the '07 model year.

By the way, the remote sold on ebay is used. Mine was cosmetically damaged. The seller put a new blank key in a used pre '07 remote. You may as well save some money by purchasing the key, without remote, from your dealer.

Tell your dealer you want part numer F1Y1-76-2GX. That is the old Mazda3 and 6 key that CAN BE CUT AND PROGRAMMED to replace the entire key/remote on ANY 5, 6, MX5, CX7, or CX9. And they only cost about $25

Thanks for the tip Benfolio. Mine's a '08 Mazda5 - and above it says that they changed something starting in '07 - think it will still work?

Thanks again.

Tell your dealer you want part numer F1Y1-76-2GX. That is the old Mazda3 and 6 key that CAN BE CUT AND PROGRAMMED to replace the entire key/remote on ANY 5, 6, MX5, CX7, or CX9. And they only cost about $25

have you used that key for your own use? that is the key the world is looking for...

I think what Benfolio means is it is a blank key that has the chip in it. It does NOT have a remote. I bought one for my 2008 5 for a little under $25 from my dealer and he cut it for my car. I used the programming described in a previous post here (where you need your two original keys) and it works fine. It unlocks door (using keyhole) and starts the car. I just use it as a spare for emergencies or when loaning the car to someone. It DOES work on my 2008 5

I ordered the blank per Benfolio's guidance from onlinemazdaparts - expect it in a couple of days - look for my report as to success or failure soon after.

Success - Easy as Pie - Total Cost < $20

(yippy) So I got my blank key last week from www.OnlineMazdaParts.com - for $18 and change (it shipped with a few other items that totaled more than $100 - so shipping was free.) It cost me $1 + tax to have the key cut and then I followed the instructions coolmazda5 posted earlier in this thread.

Time taken to progam the key? About a minute.

Now I have my third key for less than $20 bucks - amazing!

Thanks again to everyone who contributed -especially Benfolio and coolmazda5 for having the key information I needed!

Back