My TTD build thread

:
2010 Mazda 6s
I've been working on pulling parts out of the Protege and am about to start on the roll cage. I have to be on the track April 12th so things should move quickly from here on out.

The main change for going to TTD from TTE for me is weight loss. I plan on running about 180 lbs lighter than last year.

I have some pictures posted on this page of my site: http://www.breesmotorsports.com/08Season.html

What do you guys think of the cage design?

I like it, but I am a little worried about your top cross member. I think if you roll, you have the chance of bending the center of that cross member. I would triangulate that top with the rear supports as well.
But it looks good!

I like it, but I'd add some cross bracing to the top (ever look at a WRC cage? And they roll enough to know ;))

Something like this:
SpeedDemon211.jpg

What was shown is the basic design. I drew up the bracing / triagulation that I plan on using and I have FEA running right now. I want to keep the cage pretty basic, and work on smart bracing placement and integration with the unibody, rather than tons of tubes. Hopefully the simulations show that as an option.

Definitely a good idea when you have the option to run FEA. The only problem is what load are you applying on your mesh? It is hard to run an FEA on something that you dont know what the magnitude of the load and in which direction it will act.
BTW, which program are you using? Cosmoworks is awesome, if you are using ANSYS then you are my hero. haha, I hate ANSYS!

Definitely a good idea when you have the option to run FEA. The only problem is what load are you applying on your mesh? It is hard to run an FEA on something that you dont know what the magnitude of the load and in which direction it will act.
BTW, which program are you using? Cosmoworks is awesome, if you are using ANSYS then you are my hero. haha, I hate ANSYS!

I'm using Ansys. I am just placing isolated loads in different areas to simulate an impact at a particular location. The one I'm running right now is a 27.8 kN load, or 2.5 g's, (yes, I know it could be much higher but I want an elastic simulation and it is high enough to compare designs) on the curved surface at the top of the driver's A-pillar. I will try a bunch of different conditions and modify the structure until I can make myself comfortable. I will be the one in the car after all, so it better be safe! :D

what are you going to do for a windshield and gauges???

I am going to use a Lexan windshield. I will be making mounting brackets on the dash bar of the roll cage to mount the dash in the car so I will be able to use the stock gauges.

ANSYS(blarf)
haha. 2 years working on that program and it still crashes on me. haha.
Good luck to ya, and like you said, you will be the one in the car, so as long as yu are satisfied, you're golden.
Post some pics when finished!
btw, post an image of the von mises, I would be interested to see the stress point!

ANSYS(blarf)
haha. 2 years working on that program and it still crashes on me. haha.
Good luck to ya, and like you said, you will be the one in the car, so as long as yu are satisfied, you're golden.
Post some pics when finished!
btw, post an image of the von mises, I would be interested to see the stress point!

I'll post up stress and deflection plots when I decide on a design. I have a lot more variations to run through. So far I am not too pleased with the design using smaller braces. I'll try one with roof cross bars after this one is finished running.

You may find this thread helpful while considering the design: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=925995

I suggest adding a tube that goes from the driver's top node of the main hoop to the lower passenger rear/shock tower node.

Glad you see you stayed with the MSP. Didn't the MSP have a 7pt addition to its base classing until this year? Its 14pts now and I guess I have you to thank :)

You may find this thread helpful while considering the design: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=925995

I suggest adding a tube that goes from the driver's top node of the main hoop to the lower passenger rear/shock tower node.

I updated the pictures on my site with the current design. It is not finished, but a huge improvement over where I started. I am trying to stay away from bars crossing between the rear downtubes so I can keep the rear visibility. Those TTU and TTR cars come up fast. I'll look through that thread tomorrow, I need to get some sleep!

prcn4.jpg

Glad you see you stayed with the MSP. Didn't the MSP have a 7pt addition to its base classing until this year? Its 14pts now and I guess I have you to thank :)

No, the MSP was +14 last year as well. I was amazed that the car didn't take a hit. Nittos on the other hand went from +5 to +7. I may have had something to do with that....

I like that a lot better!
I think that gusset and 2 cross pieces over the drivers (your) head will make a huge difference. I look forward to seeing the end result and Pics of it completed!

No, the MSP was +14 last year as well. I was amazed that the car didn't take a hit. Nittos on the other hand went from +5 to +7. I may have had something to do with that....

Heh, yea you may of had a hand in that one. It doesn't help that 215 is the base tire width when I have 235's... so I get points out the wazoo just for tires. Understandable about the cross tube, I'm gonna check out the new pics now.

My thoughts:
Do you really need NASCAR door bars on the passenger side? There is a small weight opportunity there.

And this is nit picking here, but the webpage address for your page indicates 2008 season, yet the actual title of the page (that is displayed in the top of the IE or whatever browser) shows 2007 season. My guess is that you used the 2007 page as a template and didn't rename it.

And just think, you considered selling this car not too long ago........

I don't know, I'd leave them. It's always better to overdo safety in my opinion.

My thoughts:
Do you really need NASCAR door bars on the passenger side? There is a small weight opportunity there.

And this is nit picking here, but the webpage address for your page indicates 2008 season, yet the actual title of the page (that is displayed in the top of the IE or whatever browser) shows 2007 season. My guess is that you used the 2007 page as a template and didn't rename it.

And just think, you considered selling this car not too long ago........

I take passengers out at most of the regional events so I am trying to give them the same protection I have. Otherwise I could just go with an X on that side.

I noticed the 2007 title also. I just keep forgetting to change it.

Yeah, I had not interest at all in the car when it was for sale before nationals. Then I lost my own interest in selling it after how well it performed there. Guess I lucked out.

Back