Rust on my 2002 Protege5 Hatch...

dashto

Hey there folks.

Bought a used '02 Protege5 a few months ago, and noticing that there is a pretty quickly spreading patch of rust bubbles developing around the Protege5 badge on the hatch.

So...

1- What can I do to have this fixed? What can I expect to pay (I'm in Toronto, any suggestions about where to go would be appreciated).

2- What can I do to prevent it recurring. It's the first experience I've had with rust, and I certainly want to nip this in the bud.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, have a weird squeak coming from the front left wheel when going over deep bumps, but think that might just be a flexing thing in the bumper area...

Cheers,
Ian

the only was is to wetsand, prime, wetsand, paint, and clear, of course your going to want to do several coats of primer, paint and clear, then it has to be wetsanded again, and polished to match the surrounding area.

a good way to battle rust, is to claybar the car regularly. about 2-3 times a year depending on where your climate. this will remove alot of containments that ruin eat away at your clearcoat and keep it super smooth and slick.

the only was is to wetsand, prime, wetsand, paint, and clear, of course your going to want to do several coats of primer, paint and clear, then it has to be wetsanded again, and polished to match the surrounding area.

a good way to battle rust, is to claybar the car regularly. about 2-3 times a year depending on where your climate. this will remove alot of containments that ruin eat away at your clearcoat and keep it super smooth and slick.

What do you think of cleaner waxes? Easier than clay bar I imagine, but any results?

Anyone have experience using a clay bar on the single stage vivid yellow paint?

yeah i detailed a fellow members VY p5 a couple months ago

youll have no issues claying it. a cleaner wax basically just fills in minor minor swirls and scratches, and removes the previous layer of wax. its impossible to layer a cleaner wax, so applying multiple coats one after another does no good.

claybar and cleaner wax do to different things. clay removes impurities in the paint, like industrial fallout.

claybar wont do any damage to the VY paint.

Last edited:
Warranty Coverage?

Hey there folks.

Bought a used '02 Protege5 a few months ago, and noticing that there is a pretty quickly spreading patch of rust bubbles developing around the Protege5 badge on the hatch.

So...

1- What can I do to have this fixed? What can I expect to pay (I'm in Toronto, any suggestions about where to go would be appreciated).

2- What can I do to prevent it recurring. It's the first experience I've had with rust, and I certainly want to nip this in the bud.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, have a weird squeak coming from the front left wheel when going over deep bumps, but think that might just be a flexing thing in the bumper area...

Cheers,
Ian

I have my 2 year rust warranty checkup coming in May, so hopefully this will be covered with the lifetime rust warranty I purchased with Mazda.

I have this funny feeling they are going to give me a hard time. (jerkit)

you need to be careful of rust around the bottom of the hatch, I would suggest spending the extra money and have a professional repair the rust on the hatch inspect it for anyothe rust and have them spray it with a rust inhibiting spray. The spray usually lasts about one winter. Or you can have them rust proof it. Its really at your discretion.

I bought mine in march 2007 and it had the same spot of rust aroud the Protege5 sign. During the summer, the spot got bigger and bigger. I went to the dealer and, even if I was 5 months over the 5 years warranty on rust, they accepted to repair it and to pay half of the cost. I ended up paying 150$. Good luck!

Back