FS-DE Oil System

Sounds like we need a new thread discussing the various mods and parts we use in our motors. Work is going fever-pitched on the racecar since there is less than four weeks to the first race (spin). I'll try to get something started soon....

you know, with the top notch service and second to none pricing, you would be every Protege owners best friend... assuming you would be able to do deals like you do for the coating and PRV's. I think I speak for a lot of other owners, but I wish I knew about all this stuff before I built my motor again (third time). the research, experience and parts you have is a huge edge that I would love to have over anyone else.

are you guys still doing the oil pump mod

Yes!! Look at the first post of this thread for the details. When you are ready PM me with your shipping address and I will get you a return shipping quote and the shipping address to send your pump to.

Tom

Okay, now to REALLY confuse people. I've decided to relocate my oil filter and go with the same setup DocB runs on their race cars. Now I had a thought that may or may not eliminate returning the oil to the pan. I don't think this would work, but bear with me.

On the oil pump, where the oil outlets into the engine (in this case, NOT regulated yet.) there is a 3/8NPT hex head bolt. Now, instead of taking the unregulated oil from the stock "filter out" location, what if we took it from here?

So, you could take the oil from the pump before it goes into the engine, then back into the car at the "oil filter in" port, and the waste oil could go at the stock "oil filter out" port. I doubt this would work for obvious reasons, but i spent all the time making a neat-o drawing, so entertain me lol.

Pump1.jpg

Pump2.jpg

Tom I sent you a PM, I want to get my pump out ASAP. Also re: getting my pistons coated, how thick is the skirt coating?

Okay, now to REALLY confuse people. I've decided to relocate my oil filter and go with the same setup DocB runs on their race cars. Now I had a thought that may or may not eliminate returning the oil to the pan. I don't think this would work, but bear with me.

On the oil pump, where the oil outlets into the engine (in this case, NOT regulated yet.) there is a 3/8NPT hex head bolt. Now, instead of taking the unregulated oil from the stock "filter out" location, what if we took it from here?

So, you could take the oil from the pump before it goes into the engine, then back into the car at the "oil filter in" port, and the waste oil could go at the stock "oil filter out" port. I doubt this would work for obvious reasons, but i spent all the time making a neat-o drawing, so entertain me lol.

Pump1.jpg

Pump2.jpg

Tom I sent you a PM, I want to get my pump out ASAP. Also re: getting my pistons coated, how thick is the skirt coating?

Imteresting idea. We had looked at this before but passed because it just added more work to the block. You would need to plug the normal outlet to the motor either in the pump or at the face of the block where the oil pump mates to it. Otherwise, you would split your oil flow. Unfortunately, you could not use the "out" port on the oil filter plate since this would be now a dead end.
I see where you are trying to go with this but the bypass is an intermittant flow and if you didn't plug the oil pump end your flow would split between the two ports.

As far as the piston coating for the skirts, I can't remember exactly what the coating thickness is. I think it is .0005" but I can check on Monday for sure.

Well it was worth a try, thanks for looking at my drawings lol. I guess if push comes to shove it makes a good spot to mount a pre regulated oil pressure gauge. I'll get that pump out on Monday, and I definitly will want the coating, so once we get shipping figured out I'll paypal it all and we can go ahead with it. How far can you throw? Fire it over the lake into a mailbox in Toronto to save on shipping hahaha.

There's just one thing I don't understand about the regulator...say I run this set up for occasional lapping on the weekends...yet my car is a daily driver, will I need to constantly adjust the pressure?

Example I get to the track set it to 70-80psi...go nuts on the track for an hour. I drive home and get stuck in traffic...does it stay at 70-80psi even at idle?

If you go back a few pages, I asked taht very thing, and it's not a "set" value. It basically bleeds off a percent of the pressure at whatever RPM, so you will set it for say 35psi at idle, and then by the time you hit 6K it'll be around 80 or so.

If you go back a few pages, I asked taht very thing, and it's not a "set" value. It basically bleeds off a percent of the pressure at whatever RPM, so you will set it for say 35psi at idle, and then by the time you hit 6K it'll be around 80 or so.

Thank you! I should do this then...what's another couple a hun on a 8k motor lol!

Good question... Is the PRV liek a "wastegate" that opens at a preset pressure and bypasses oil, and every pressure below that goes right into the engine, or does it gradually let pressure bleed off at a constant rate over the whole range of pressure. (Ex. 10% of all pressure gets dumped, so at idle 20psi in would mean 18psi out, and at 100psi in, 90psi out.) Make sense?

The external PRV's are basically the same as the OE internal units except they have the ability to be adjusted and the ability to send the bypassed oil to a place where it doesn't interfere with the building oil pressure.

The unit is constantly bypassing pressure. The amount it is bypassing depends on how much pressure is put on the internal spring by turning the index bolt in or out.

60 psi at cruising speed is a bit high if your cruising rpm is around 3500. I would look for around 40-45, but before you adjust it further what is your oil pressure at redline or WOT throttle?

Yes I read everything and if your referring to these....then it wasn't very clear to me.

Last edited:
There's just one thing I don't understand about the regulator...say I run this set up for occasional lapping on the weekends...yet my car is a daily driver, will I need to constantly adjust the pressure?

Example I get to the track set it to 70-80psi...go nuts on the track for an hour. I drive home and get stuck in traffic...does it stay at 70-80psi even at idle?

The setup with external PRV is just fine to run on a daily driver. It is not that different from the OE setup except that when the motor is run hard it prevents the cavitation problem from occuring by returning the bypassed oil to a place where it won't cause foaming of the oil and the detrimental oil pressure loss (zoom, zoom, boom ,boom).
Because the external PRV is adjustable you can set it to have exactly the same oil pressure as stock. However, since most of these setups are placed in performance motors increasing the oil pressure range from idle to redline is beneficial.

Thanks Maxx Mazda for replying!!

I can't beleive people are still having trouble understanding this setup.....It's actually quite simple in design.

Just an update and kudos to Tom, I phoned him today just to get a simple update on my pump's status, and he was more than happy to answer all my questions! Thanks again Tom!

Blah...I wish I had seen this thread before. My engine is getting dropped in this week with a brand new oil pump and external oil cooler. Wish I had known about this because I would most likely have gone with this system :(

Blah...I wish I had seen this thread before. My engine is getting dropped in this week with a brand new oil pump and external oil cooler. Wish I had known about this because I would most likely have gone with this system :(

might be worth it to hold off till you can get this system bro

Another 6 weeks? Are you kidding me? The dealership would kill me for not having done enough research in advance...and having my car in their service bay for that long (that and me having their loaner car for that much long; already been a month)

Another 6 weeks? Are you kidding me? The dealership would kill me for not having done enough research in advance...and having my car in their service bay for that long (that and me having their loaner car for that much long; already been a month)

eek. didn't realize the time... well.. maybe you should get it and install it yourself!:) you're building a nice car.. i'd hate to see it go boom

I researched this alot, and I think every member on here will agree that this mod alone is THE crowning jewel for the FS-DE. It literally is the heart of the engine, and the oil is the blood.

Back