Bad Transfer Case

bzebra

I had read on some other threads that some people have had problems with the transfer case for their CX-9. All winter my CX-9 had struggled through snowy conditions and every time that stupid little 4WD light would flash. I looked it up in the manual and all it said was their was a difference in wheel spin. My wifes Acura MDX was going so much better it was not until we had an ice storm and in my driveway which is flat with the TCS off did I finally figure our that I was not getting any power to my rear wheels. I took it to the dealership and after about an hour of checking things out said I needed a new transfer case which will take a week to get in and a day to install. The part is very expensive about $5000 not including labor, it is covered as I only have a few thousand miles and they are giving me a rental for the day but I wanted to find out if others have had the same problem and if repaired how has the new transfer case held up?

Transfer case,

I had mine replaced in January. I know of two other members here that had the same problem repaired - Bobbi and Twentysomething. Your's makes number 4 reported.

My experience was the same as your's, the 4WD light started flashing after the first snow and I finally discovering that the rear wheels weren't getting any power. Before winter hit I had no hints that the rear wheels weren't getting power.

So far as I can tell, mine is still working after replacement. But seeing a 4th report of the same issue on this board is not good.

Statistically speaking, these are more than random failures and indicates a definite problem of some sort.
It also raises the question of how many more may be out there because the problem only shows itself if the road conditions are slippery, causing the AWD to activate. If a AWD 9 is used in an area where it never sees traction issues, like snow and ice, this problem would never reveal itself to the driver.

Note that PTO/PTU are Mazda shorthand for the transfer case.

Ted

Last edited:
replacement scheduled

Ted thanks for the reply. I will report back when it is replaced in about two weeks they were going to do it next Friday but with Easter and all they wanted to do it the following Monday. I will be interested if I can feel a difference. The only reservation is now I have to wait until next winter to really test it to make sure if it is working or not and now I have to question the long term durability. I have read a little about how sophisticated the awd system is and I wonder if Mazda would have better off putting in something more conventional.

Ted thanks for the reply. I will report back when it is replaced in about two weeks they were going to do it next Friday but with Easter and all they wanted to do it the following Monday. I will be interested if I can feel a difference. The only reservation is now I have to wait until next winter to really test it to make sure if it is working or not and now I have to question the long term durability. I have read a little about how sophisticated the awd system is and I wonder if Mazda would have better off putting in something more conventional.

I understand what you're saying. It's impossible to tell if the system is working or not on dry pavement without resorting to some extreme manuevers to invoke it.

The way the dealer tests it is to raise the vehicle off the ground, puts the transmission in neutral, sends a signal to engage the rear coupler, spins the front wheels by hand and watches to see if the driveshaft and rear wheels turn too.

I about fell over when you stated the transfer case was quoted as a $5000 part (my dealer never told me the price when I had mine repaired) but I confirmed it with my dealer's parts department - They quoted it at $5431.75. For comparison an Acura MDX transfer has a SRP of $1060 and can be gotten for a bit over $800. Honda's SH-AWD system isn't substantially different from Mazda's. This forces me to question the wisdom of having bought the 9. $5400 for a transfer case is simply outragous, regardless of what they may have in it or how sophisticated the system may be.

Ted

Last edited:
I had exactly the same problem with my 07 GT. The dealer said there was an internal error and replaced the transfer case. Now the 4WD light no longer flashes in light snow and traction has returned.

Radio still doesn't work; Gas mileage is poor. Thinking about dumping it.

I had exactly the same problem with my 07 GT. The dealer said there was an internal error and replaced the transfer case. Now the 4WD light no longer flashes in light snow and traction has returned.

Radio still doesn't work; Gas mileage is poor. Thinking about dumping it.

I discussed the cost of the transfer case with the wife. While we aren't going to dump the 9 at this point, too much of a loss, we agreed that we will trade it off before the drivetrain warranty expires and definitely look elsewhere for our next vehicle.

Ted

It seems to me that these transfer cases were bad from the start and if you get a good one it will be reliable. I will probably keep my 9 for sometime as long as I don't have any other issues but I have about 7600 miles on it and so far it has run very well and I have been happy with the handling and power. I work in sales and spend a lot of time on the road and this car is very good on the highway and is a nice trade off with the extra space to a sedan. I traded a nissan maxima in on the 9 and this is a better fit. I even like the handling better than my wifes Acura MDX which is a very nice crossover itself. If I have any other problems I maybe inclined like you to keep it until the warranty is up and then trade it in on something else.

My concern is that if the transfer is so complex internally that it costs 5 times more than a comparble Honda component that may make it more prone to failure because of that complexity.
I just can't conceive of what would be in that thing to make it that expensive.
I've been involved with AWD construction vehicles and know what those components cost - this transfer case is expensive.

fixed transfer case

I got my cx-9 back the other day and what a difference! I could feel the transfer case doing its job. I tried several times with the TSC off from starting position to get the front tires to spin and it just takes off. Before even with the TSC on I could at will get the front tires to break loose but not now. I cannot wait until next winter to get the full effect but even in rain slicked road the car feels connected to the road. Just wanted to post this update. The dealership provided me with a rental for the day and I had my cx-9 back in 6 hours and it does not take very long to install that very expensive part.

I got my cx-9 back the other day and what a difference! I could feel the transfer case doing its job. I tried several times with the TSC off from starting position to get the front tires to spin and it just takes off. Before even with the TSC on I could at will get the front tires to break loose but not now. I cannot wait until next winter to get the full effect but even in rain slicked road the car feels connected to the road. Just wanted to post this update. The dealership provided me with a rental for the day and I had my cx-9 back in 6 hours and it does not take very long to install that very expensive part.

Oh yes, the difference is very noticable when the AWD is working properly. So long as it continues to do so, I'll stay satisfied with the 9.

The 9 has some faults and some things that could be better, for sure, but over all it's still one of the best values in the segment.

Glad to hear that everything got sorted out for you.

Ted

Back