MazdaSpeed6 Clutch Burned Out

caputo27

Hello All,

I was wondering if any of you have burnt out your clutches on a 06 MazdaSpeed6. My car is not 2 years old and has 17 thousand miles on it and the clutch has burnt out. A friend of mines clutch burnt out at 4700 miles on his 2006 MazdaSpeed6. It seems odd to me that this would happen on a "performance car". Have any of you had a similar issue? If so please share. The dealership wants 2,500 dollars to fix this issue and I feel that it is a Mazda problem.. It has happen to two cars that I know of and want to see if anyone else has had the problem.

Do you know anything about the Technical Service Bulletin on these clutches? Look around on this forum (I hate being one of those guys that says, "Search"!) and you will find several threads that address this issue. Many people feel that the engagement point for the clutch was way too high from the factory. There is a "how-to" on clutch pedal adjustment, but that won't help you now. The clutch warranty is 12 months or 12K miles, so your friend should be ok, but again, no help to you. I have on 06 MS6 as well, but am sitting at 14K, so Mazda USA only wants to do the Type B repair on mine rather than the Type A (read the TSB) even though its a Type A car (early production #s). Others have had no problem getting the TSB done well over the 12K limit. So, yes other people have had issues with the clutch (more of an "on/off"switch if you ask me). Someone more knowledgable than me would probably tell you to screw the dealer replacement. For that money upgrade to a performance aftermarket clutch.

Many people feel that the engagement point for the clutch was way too high from the factory.

Really? Hmmm, was that an '06 setting/issue? I can say my '07's point of engagement is (no joke) two inches at most from the floor board. I actually stalled it at the dealership when I test drover her ;-(

I don't think I have stalled a car since I was 15.

I hated how low the engagement was at first, but after 4 days of driving her I am used to it, and actually fond of it now.

mysleeper6 Reply

I found the NHTSA Item Number: 10021571 CLUTCH PEDAL IS DIFFICULT TO OPERATE, do you know of any further details about this..It would be beneficial if I could find more concrete data.

we are getting the clutch replaced for the second time on JCGEMT's car tomorrow he burned out a stage 3 clutch (more power than we thought)

the speed3 clutch has a rep for durability, its the 4wheeeldrive of the speed6 when you do a 4wheel luanch since there is no wheelspin the stress goes straight ot the clutch. Alot of evo clutches go out at 10k becuase of this.

the speed3 clutch has a rep for durability, its the 4wheeeldrive of the speed6 when you do a 4wheel luanch since there is no wheelspin the stress goes straight ot the clutch. Alot of evo clutches go out at 10k becuase of this.

I'd almost agree with you, but my other car is well over 500hp, 487 tq and Quattro. I have a Stage 3 plate and have done many, many launches and over 75k miles on it with zero issues. I really think much of this is user "error" to be honest. For stock setups that is.

You are correct on extra abuse on it due to the AWD, but still something isn't adding up to burn out a clutch on a stock setup if driven correctly.

Maybe not, but weird.

I'd almost agree with you, but my other car is well over 500hp, 487 tq and Quattro. I have a Stage 3 plate and have done many, many launches and over 75k miles on it with zero issues. I really think much of this is user "error" to be honest. For stock setups that is.

You are correct on extra abuse on it due to the AWD, but still something isn't adding up to burn out a clutch on a stock setup if driven correctly.

Maybe not, but weird.

but thats the catch, how was it driven? Plus you have a heavy duty clutch on that audi. If someone got a hold of his car and did a bunch bad launches.. the clutch can only handle so much heat stress. When tires spin it releases energy, when the grip up the energy is transfered to the clutch and turns into heat energy wich will destroy the clutch in notime depening on how strong the clutch is..

Clutch Driven Normal

I am not saying that I am the best driver, but I do not beat on my car at all. My previous car was a 1999 Jeep Wrangler which had 90,000 miles on it when I traded it in and never had to replace the clutch..Still faulting mazda on this, i have read at least 5 people burning out the clutch when the car had low miles.

2500 is a ridiculous amount to charge for a clutch...I got my MSP clutch for 150 bucks on protegegarage.com and the install will only be like 150-200 cause I have a buddy working on it.

I am not saying that I am the best driver, but I do not beat on my car at all. My previous car was a 1999 Jeep Wrangler which had 90,000 miles on it when I traded it in and never had to replace the clutch..Still faulting mazda on this, i have read at least 5 people burning out the clutch when the car had low miles.

that doesnt mean those 5 drivers are any good at shifting...you cant say mazda is at fault if 5 out like 30,000 people burn up a clutch...I am not faulting you because I dont know you, but 99% of the time people come in here and say they burnt a clutch up, but it wasnt their fault is BS

how many miles was on the car when you bought it?

Bought the car brand new...I was exiting the expressway when at about 35 miles an hour when I went to shift it into third gear and it was done...Trust me if I felt that I did anything wrong I would not be on here trying to find answers...

Really? Hmmm, was that an '06 setting/issue? I can say my '07's point of engagement is (no joke) two inches at most from the floor board. I actually stalled it at the dealership when I test drover her ;-(

I don't think I have stalled a car since I was 15.

I hated how low the engagement was at first, but after 4 days of driving her I am used to it, and actually fond of it now.
There is a how to on adjusting the cutch I would reccommend doing it. Works alot better not a fix but better http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123651965

You know the clutch is really funny on this car and i dont know if mine is slipping as well but when i drive on the highway at speeds around 80-100 for awhile it smells like my clutch is burning.

Back