shaking engine and check engine light

madsmartguy

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
Yesterday, I noticed my car shaking and squeaking. After a while, the check engine light went on. The vibrating engine only occurs at low rpms when I stop the car at a stop sign, or in traffic. I am not sure what the problem is, I am thinking it might be cheap Gulf gas I filled up with...does anyone have any ideas??? I already have 82K on it.
Btw, I drive a 2002 Mazda Protege 5. Everything standard.
I went to the local mechanic and he told it me it would cost 85 just for the diagnostic. I don't trust him as I've heard of some bad experiences. I called the nearest Mazda and they told me it was 99 an hour just for the diagnostic machine, what can I expect to be charged from them?
Anything would be helpful. Thanks.

Go to an Advanced Auto Parts or an Autozone the do free diagnostics.......does your engine sounds like a lawn mower when you get on the throttle from idle?

throttle

No, after I press the gas, it's fine( or I might just not be hearing it). The only unusual activity is at low rpm.
How does the autozone free diagnostic work? Do I have to do it with them after I get their diagnostic?

Don't Proteges have distributor caps / wires? My first guess is a bad spark plug wire. My Eclipse did this a while back. Ran fine above idle but barely idled...engine rocking, and a general lawn-mower sound at idle. After a time of chin-scratching, a wild guess cured it - Plug wires.

autozone will hook up their obd2 scanner. they will give a trouble code. once you get it post it on here. no dist caps. 2 coils and 4 wires.

Yeh it sounds like it might could be a bad tank of gas or possibly be a misfire in one of your cylinders.....or even the infamous EGR valves that the proteges are known for having issues with.....maybe your pin is broken causing that rough idle. Check with Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts......they hook up the OBD II Scanner to it and read the codes for you and give you a print out.....Autozone is supposed to help trouble shoot the issue but they suck and don't know what they are talking about half the time........Get the codes read and come back to the forum and more than enough people will help you out and try to point you in the right direction.

change your coil packs, check your battery terminals, or a bad o2 sensor. Or even a loose vacuum hose.

Where the hell do they still sell Gulf gas? Thought they all changed to Chevron.

Sorry for the threadjack, but FunkyBuddha you said loose Vacuum hose, and that seems to be the problem with my gf's 00' protege LX. She got the code P0106 for autozone and they said it's the vacuum leak. I took a carb cleaner and spread around but nothing happen, maybe I spread in the wrong place. Can you give me more information about it?

Josh

Go to autozone and ask them to scan your car. They will ask you what year. Tell them OBDII. The code may come back as misfire to a certain cylinder or multiple cylinder misfire. You can search on here for that but it is the ignition coils. You can either change both ignition coils or swap to a 1.8L ignition coil. Also, there is a thread on here for that.

Sorry for the threadjack, but FunkyBuddha you said loose Vacuum hose, and that seems to be the problem with my gf's 00' protege LX. She got the code P0106 for autozone and they said it's the vacuum leak. I took a carb cleaner and spread around but nothing happen, maybe I spread in the wrong place. Can you give me more information about it?

Josh

Turn the car on and look at the lines at the back of the engine. Listen for a whistling sound. Make sure there aren't any loose lines.

Dirty EGR Valve

I have a 2002 P5 that had the same problem after 75K miles. I took off the egr valve and cleaned it out with carb cleaner and it solved the problem.

The egr valve is located under the throttle body. It's hard to get to but it's not impossible to take off. You will have to disconnect the plastic intake from the throttle body.
1)You need to remove 2 bolts and unhook the e-connector. DO NOT LOSE THE THIN METAL GASKET.
2)Spray carb cleaner into the 2 ports and use a small wire brush to clean out the gunk. Use a small screw driver to free up the piston inside the valve. The stuck piston inside the valve is what is tripping the sensor.
3)Put back on the same way you took it off. The check engine light will go off on its own.

Depending how good you are with a wrench, it shouldn't take you more than a couple of hours.

Good luck!

Yesterday, I noticed my car shaking and squeaking. After a while, the check engine light went on. The vibrating engine only occurs at low rpms when I stop the car at a stop sign, or in traffic. I am not sure what the problem is, I am thinking it might be cheap Gulf gas I filled up with...does anyone have any ideas??? I already have 82K on it.
Btw, I drive a 2002 Mazda Protege 5. Everything standard.
I went to the local mechanic and he told it me it would cost 85 just for the diagnostic. I don't trust him as I've heard of some bad experiences. I called the nearest Mazda and they told me it was 99 an hour just for the diagnostic machine, what can I expect to be charged from them?
Anything would be helpful. Thanks.

hey ive started to have the same problems. I went to Autozone, did the obdII scan and got some numbers. Can you guys help me with what parts I need to change out from my mazda as I am not a mechanic...thanks.....

TROUBLE SHOOTING P0464

The PCM has determinded that the voltage signal from the fuel level sensor is intermittent.

TROUBLE SHOOTING P0463

The PCM has determined that the voltage signal from the fuel level sensor is too high for the current engine operating conditions.

TROUBLE SHOOTING P0463

Fuel level sending unit condition explanation

poor electical connection at the fuel level sending unit

Probable causes;

Failed fuel level sendig unit

PLEAES HELP!!! THANKS!!

i noticed my rough idle began after I pumped some low quality/no name gas in it too! never ever ever ever ever doing that again........

hey ive started to have the same problems. I went to Autozone, did the obdII scan and got some numbers. Can you guys help me with what parts I need to change out from my mazda as I am not a mechanic...thanks.....

TROUBLE SHOOTING P0464

The PCM has determinded that the voltage signal from the fuel level sensor is intermittent.

TROUBLE SHOOTING P0463

The PCM has determined that the voltage signal from the fuel level sensor is too high for the current engine operating conditions.

TROUBLE SHOOTING P0463

Fuel level sending unit condition explanation

poor electical connection at the fuel level sending unit

Probable causes;

Failed fuel level sendig unit

PLEAES HELP!!! THANKS!!

Sorry to bump from the dead, but how many more codes do you need to tell you that the fuel level sender isn't working? (smash)

madsmartguy

I have a 2002 Mazda Protege 5 and I am experiencing the same thing with my car last Friday. It didn't start up at all. Until I went to AutoZone and had gotten this AutoScanner for it. Plug em in, cranked the car up it started! When the past Saturday came through, it went well. But, when Sunday came around it wasn't all that bad. Until TODAY, when my brother had switched it out with new spark plugs and wires, it wasn't the problem. The engine would really shake, it would seemed as if the car will stalled on me when I'm a traffic light. The autoscanner read RANDOM MISFIRE, SYSTEM LEAN and some other things with THRESHOLD. I don't know guys. The car also had 155,XXX on it. I ordered an O2 Sensor, expecting to have that in a few days or by next week. The CEL sometimes blinks and then it would stay on there. Its really giving me a headache right now. CAN SOMEONE PLEEEEEASE HELP ME OUT HERE??

Back