Brakes feel spongy, need to pump them

YelPro03

:
2015 Mazda 3s Touring
I just got new brake pads installed and rotors machined. The guy at the shop says the brakes will feel a bit spongy or soft at first until the new pads wear in. When I first hit the brakes the pedal nearly goes to the floor before it will stop. But if I hit the brake pedal, let up, and hit it again it will feel normal. It's been a week now and it is still like that. Is that normal or could it be something else (air in the brake lines, master brake cylinder going, etc.)?

This happened when I changed my brake pads. If you don't see any brake fluid leaking then air probably got into the brake lines, and the brake fluid needs to be bled or flushed. When I took it in, the tech said that this is normal when you're changing pads/rotors, and that it's standard for them to do a brake bleed whenever they do a change.

I think it's probably because when you step on the pedal the first time, the air compresses, and then when you go to step on it again immediately, the air hasn't expanded again so it feels tighter. But if you let off and drive for a while, the air will expand again.

Last edited:
This happened when I changed my brake pads. If you don't see any brake fluid leaking then air probably got into the brake lines, and the brake fluid needs to be bled or flushed. When I took it in, the tech said that this is normal when you're changing pads/rotors, and that it's standard for them to do a brake bleed whenever they do a change.

I think it's probably because when you step on the pedal the first time, the air compresses, and then when you go to step on it again immediately, the air hasn't expanded again so it feels tighter. But if you let off and drive for a while, the air will expand again.
Yes, that's exactly what happens. It must be air in the lines. Thanks. Oh, and I have a yellow P5 also. Well, actually it's my wife's.

Yup..Sounds likeit needs bled...which they should have done.
Definately not normal..It should never feel like that..not even on break in or "Bedding" as it called.

Yup..Sounds likeit needs bled...which they should have done.
Definately not normal..It should never feel like that..not even on break in or "Bedding" as it called.

yeah, forcefed is right, they should have done it in the first place so you really shouldn't have to pay extra to get it done.

Don;t ever go to that hack mechanic again, except to tell him he's an idiot and that he almost killed you because he didn't bother bleeding the lines.

He's lazy and figured you'd go away.

Bleed your lines well and replace with good fluid and you'll be really happy.

Thanks for all your inputs. I called them and I'm bringing the car back tonight. They're usually pretty good as I've been going to them for well over 15 years. Maybe they got a new mechanic or something. Hopefully they'll fix it for free.

It most certainly was air in the brake lines. Now it is fixed. Thanks for everyone's input and help.

Back