Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Thread: Brakes feel spongy, need to pump them

2003 Mazda Protege 5

Brakes feel spongy, need to pump them

I just got new brake pads installed and rotors machined. The guy at the shop says the brakes will feel a bit spongy or soft at first until the new pads wear in. When I first hit the brakes the pedal nearly goes to the floor before it will stop. But if I hit the brake pedal, let up, and hit it again it will feel normal. It's been a week now and it is still like that. Is that normal or could it be something else (air in the brake lines, master brake cylinder going, etc.)?
    (p5yellow)

2006 Tungsten Grey Mazda6 GT I4

This happened when I changed my brake pads. If you don't see any brake fluid leaking then air probably got into the brake lines, and the brake fluid needs to be bled or flushed. When I took it in, the tech said that this is normal when you're changing pads/rotors, and that it's standard for them to do a brake bleed whenever they do a change.

I think it's probably because when you step on the pedal the first time, the air compresses, and then when you go to step on it again immediately, the air hasn't expanded again so it feels tighter. But if you let off and drive for a while, the air will expand again.
    Last edited by clicknext; 02-24-2008 at 06:05 PM.

2003 Mazda Protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by clicknext View Post
    This happened when I changed my brake pads. If you don't see any brake fluid leaking then air probably got into the brake lines, and the brake fluid needs to be bled or flushed. When I took it in, the tech said that this is normal when you're changing pads/rotors, and that it's standard for them to do a brake bleed whenever they do a change.

I think it's probably because when you step on the pedal the first time, the air compresses, and then when you go to step on it again immediately, the air hasn't expanded again so it feels tighter. But if you let off and drive for a while, the air will expand again.
    Yes, that's exactly what happens. It must be air in the lines. Thanks. Oh, and I have a yellow P5 also. Well, actually it's my wife's.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Trailblazer SS AWD ....Still a Mazda Junkie Though.

Yup..Sounds likeit needs bled...which they should have done.
    Definately not normal..It should never feel like that..not even on break in or "Bedding" as it called.
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

(p5silver)

2006 Tungsten Grey Mazda6 GT I4

Quote Originally Posted by ForceFed View Post
    Yup..Sounds likeit needs bled...which they should have done.
    Definately not normal..It should never feel like that..not even on break in or "Bedding" as it called.
    yeah, forcefed is right, they should have done it in the first place so you really shouldn't have to pay extra to get it done.

Donated: $5

Don;t ever go to that hack mechanic again, except to tell him he's an idiot and that he almost killed you because he didn't bother bleeding the lines.

He's lazy and figured you'd go away.

Bleed your lines well and replace with good fluid and you'll be really happy.
    Me: '02 Black P5 - Eibach Pro-Kit, Tokico Blues, Added Leather, RacingBeat exhaust, 17x7 10-spokes, Short shifter, Mz6 rear wiper, tint + more.
    Wife: '06 Mazda3 Hatch Grand Touring, Titanium Grey
    For fun: '91 E30 BMW under construction

http://www.cardomain.com/id/nomadsmx5

2003 Mazda Protege 5

Thanks for all your inputs. I called them and I'm bringing the car back tonight. They're usually pretty good as I've been going to them for well over 15 years. Maybe they got a new mechanic or something. Hopefully they'll fix it for free.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2003 Mazda Protege 5

It most certainly was air in the brake lines. Now it is fixed. Thanks for everyone's input and help.