Wiring amp/sub in trunk of 2003 Protege

I've got a couple more newb questions. Can someone describe how the wiring would typically be run for a sub/amp in the trunk of an 03 Protege?

Would the RCA cables come out from under the dash, run under the floor mats, under the rear seats and into the trunk? Does this require the removal of the rear seats?

For the power wiring to the battery, what's the best place to get it through the firewall? Is a fuse required and if so how is installed and where does it go?

Having some troubles aswell

Hey I have a 2002 Protege 5 and have started upgrading the audio. I have replaced the headunit, Alpine CDA-9887 and the rear speakers already using some baffles i made with the help of chuylers guide (thanks!). I have a Kenwood KAC-5201 amp that I am hoping to hook up to the two front speakers. This is the first job i've done on car audio and have alot of basic questions:

-Where is the best place to put the amp? Under the passenger seat?
-What is the best way to get the wires to the amp, depending on where it is placed.
-I've found a guide that tells how to get the wires into the doors but sadly the photos don't load so some help with that would be a great as well.

I also have a sub, Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 12" that I will be hooking up in the trunk at a later date. I'm guessing that i would want to get the wiring done at the same time as I am doing the front though, probably a lot easier. So any help with that would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Konkinator

I wired my '02 MP5 for subs a little bit ago...

1) I put my amp under the driver's seat (though either seat is fine, it keeps its hidden, cool and is relatively easy to get wires to)

2) For a clean look, pop up your kick panels (the plastic covers that go over the carpet (and wires) that run along your doors). It requires a little pressure...but they pop up and you'll see what to do from there. Hell, there's already a loom to put hte wires into ;)

After that, I made slits in the carpet and pull the wires through them so the wires ran *under* the carpet until either they needed to be out to get to the amp...or they needed to be out to get back under teh kick panels.

3) I didnt pull any wires through the doors, so I dont really have any help for you there :/

i ran my wires along the drivers side, under the trim. Theres a grommet just above the pedals to run your power wire thru the firewall. Fuse should be within 12" of the battery. My amp is mounted on the backside of my rear seats, so that it is accessable when the seats are folded down. To get wires into the door, you have to undo the connectors and drill a hole out of each of them to run the wire thru, but it's much easier to use the stock wires.

Thanks for the replies!
Ok i'm having trouble finding this grommet, i'll have some photos up in a minute and that might he you point it out to me.

If I end up putting the amp for the front two speakers under the driver's seat, how would you suggest getting the wire over to passenger door? Would it be worth it to open up the center console and run it up through there and then around to the door?

Is it necessary for me to put the wires in the 'loom' or can they just run along side? Where do these come out that i can get access to them in the trunk?

Thanks again,
Konkinator

Pictures!

Ok so I got over my slight claustrophobia long enough to take some pictures looking from the floor mat up. The pictures i uploaded is where I think it might be, I have circled it in red. Does the other end of this come out in between the the fusebox and the left headlight? If so any ideas on getting my wires through there, just push them?

Attachments

• Grommet.jpeg
    Grommet.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 862
you're looking in the wrong place. Its above the gas pedal, and goes right thru the firewalll. For the power wire, just pull off the trim along the edge of the door, run the wire under there, and snap it back in place, and no they dont have to be inside the loom.

I think I might have used the same one. My grommet was all the way to the left of the pedals, along the wall. The wires ran through the grommet, outside into the fender well (actually between the plastic of the wheel well and the outside of the engine bay).

If you pull your LF tire off, and hten remove the plastic cover for the top of the wheel well you'll see the wires going to it. They then go up through the hole in the engine bay just up from teh battery and air box (the same one some people stick their cold air intakes into)

Back