Welcome to the James Barone Racing Forum - Upgrade your Mazda with High Quality Parts at Great Prices from JBR!
Upgrade your Mazda with High Quality Parts at Great Prices from JBR!
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Spare Key & Fob Programming for Mazda5

Registered Member

Spare Key & Fob Programming for Mazda5

I made a 3rd key for my 2007 mazda 5...

I bought a transmitter fob off ebay (~$30). I programmed it using instructions in the PDF file. You can program up to 3 fobs for your car.
    -Note that although the PDF specifies it is only for 2006 vehicles below a certain VIN, it worked fine on my 2007.

I bought the RFID key blank from the dealer (~$10?) and had it cut at the local locksmith ($5). You or locksmith will need to tap in the small roll pin to attach key to the fob if it's not already attached. I then programmed the key using instructions in the GIF file. You can program up to 8 blanks this way.

Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

more ideas than money slvrsleeper's Avatar

2007 Mazda5 sport 5mt True Silver

Very cool! and thanks for the info (goes to find key fob on E-bay)

Done so far: clear marker lights, LED interior bulbs, XM radio, K&N filter, heater duct CAI, tweeters, piano black steering wheel spokes, HID, Progress rear bar LED rear brake and turn signals 5% tint on rear windows DIY sound-proofing Pioneer 6X8s Nexo TS-10 Bronze 17x7 Nexen N3000 215/50-17
    In progress:restoration of a 1940 Cadillac
    In the future:bankruptcy caused by^^

Registered Member

Does anyone have the remaining instructions from that GIF posted before? I bought my Mazda5 used and only have one key. I want to program two more keys and the PDF instructions don't seem to work.

2007 Mazda5 Sport AT

Quote Originally Posted by retrorach View Post
    Does anyone have the remaining instructions from that GIF posted before? I bought my Mazda5 used and only have one key. I want to program two more keys and the PDF instructions don't seem to work.
    I think you need to go to the dealer to get them to program at least one other of your keys.

The dealer told me and all the instructions I have seen all require two remotes. I think the intent of this is to be a security feature to prevent someone from cloning a key with just one copy.

But hey, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Look Mom, A Real Clutch! coolmazda5's Avatar
    Donated: $15

2008 Mazda5 5MT Sport w/ Popular Package

^^ That is correct, 2 same programmed remotes are needed to create a 3rd one. I agree, this measure is for security reasons (i.e. when dropping your car at the valet parking)
    - 2008 Mazda5, 5MT Sport, Stormy Blue Mica, Popular Package, Aux Input, TPMS, The Thule Roof Rack Works, MAZDASPEED Shift Knob
    - Past: 2006 Mazda5, 5MT Sport, Carbon Gray, Popular Package, OEM Fog Lights

[How to Search & Post]

Registered Member

Has anyone bought a fob and key from ebay? If so, from whom and did everything work?

2007 Mazda5 Sport AT

I bought a blank switchblade key off of Ebay for like 50$US (including shipping), and it worked just fine. Well almost. Lowes screwed up cutting the key. So I had to buy another key blank for like 7 bucks and have it cut and installed by a professional (like another 10$US).

There is a sequence to program the transponder in the key, and another to program the remote that came with the key and is floating around this board.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by remarquian View Post
    I bought a blank switchblade key off of Ebay for like 50$US (including shipping), and it worked just fine. Well almost. Lowes screwed up cutting the key. So I had to buy another key blank for like 7 bucks and have it cut and installed by a professional (like another 10$US).

There is a sequence to program the transponder in the key, and another to program the remote that came with the key and is floating around this board.
    I'm not sure what you mean "installed by a professional". What was installed?
    Also, do you remember the seller you brought the fob and key from on ebay?

2007 Mazda5 Sport AT

Quote Originally Posted by olddaddy View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean "installed by a professional". What was installed?
    Also, do you remember the seller you brought the fob and key from on ebay?

Here is i picture of a key:

images.jpg

So I got my key cut at Lowes [the big box hardware store], they screwed it up, and it couldn't open the car or turn the ignition. So to fix it, I bought just the metal blade part off of Ebay and had a professional locksmith, cut the new blade, and replace the old worthless blade on the key.

To replace the blade, open your key, so that the blade and the body is at a 90 degree angle. You'll see a pin at the base of the blade. Pop that pin out and the blade detaches. The trick is getting the pin back in :-).

This was an example of my stinginess costing me an extra $12 and a couple hours of time.

I bought my key from remotesupermarket on ebay for 47$US total. The extra blade was 7$US total from gemworld4u. They were picked because they had good ratings and the lowest price I could find. The delivery was fast.

I would recommend that everyone get another key made, in case you lose one, as visiting the dealer sucks.

And the beauty about the way the system works, is that if you have three keys, and if you do lose a key, upon discovering you've lost it, you can program out the lost key with the two remaining keys. So yes, someone who finds your key can get into your car, but they won't be able to start it.

So does that make sense?

Registered Member

Here is i picture of a key:

images.jpg

So I got my key cut at Lowes [the big box hardware store], they screwed it up, and it couldn't open the car or turn the ignition. So to fix it, I bought just the metal blade part off of Ebay and had a professional locksmith, cut the new blade, and replace the old worthless blade on the key.

To replace the blade, open your key, so that the blade and the body is at a 90 degree angle. You'll see a pin at the base of the blade. Pop that pin out and the blade detaches. The trick is getting the pin back in :-).

This was an example of my stinginess costing me an extra $12 and a couple hours of time.

I bought my key from remotesupermarket on ebay for 47$US total. The extra blade was 7$US total from gemworld4u. They were picked because they had good ratings and the lowest price I could find. The delivery was fast.

I would recommend that everyone get another key made, in case you lose one, as visiting the dealer sucks.

And the beauty about the way the system works, is that if you have three keys, and if you do lose a key, upon discovering you've lost it, you can program out the lost key with the two remaining keys. So yes, someone who finds your key can get into your car, but they won't be able to start it.

So does that make sense?
    Thanks for all the detailed info. I will be purchasing one also now.

Registered Member

So a friend of mine lost one of his 2 keys for his 5. The dealer wants $350 for a new replacement or $150 for just a key without the fob. My understanding is that if he bought a replacement from remotesupermarket, he would still have to take it to the dealer to be programmed (and cut), right? Anyone know how much they charge for that?

Thanks.

Registered Member

Thanks for the tip.

Registered Member

I bought a remote and with a blank from ebay transponderisland. I bought from them because it was a brand new remote (others selling said slightly used), the cost was $54 shipped. Instructions were sent with remote but I used the instructions posted here. I had the blank cut at a local locksmith for $2. No problems programing the remote and key. It is my 3rd remote and I have 2 stand alone non remote keys. Hopefully I wont need to do this again but if I do it will not be a problem. Thanks to remarquian and those who contributed info in this post.

Registered Luser

Any chance this will work with the 2008? The key fob looks exactly the same as above.

2007 Mazda5 Sport AT

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Any chance this will work with the 2008? The key fob looks exactly the same as above.
    fersure

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast