When to replace timing belt?

cs1992

:
'02 Protege LX
According to the manual for my '02 2.0L, the timing belt is to be replaced at 105k under normal driving conditions. Is that 105k miles or km?

According to the manual for my '02 2.0L, the timing belt is to be replaced at 105k under normal driving conditions. Is that 105k miles or km?
105K miles...i'm at 107..i'll be doing mine next month...there's someone on the board who has over 150k and hasn't changed his yet!! it's a non interference engine so no worries except you'll have to get towed if it breaks on you!

damn...I thought it was 60k. Should have read the manual, huh?!?! I've changed it every 60k and I'm at 181K now and I was worried. Sh*t...

What timing belt are most guys going to use...An OEM one....?
I always try to find a Goodyear one..but I have yet to look for this car at what the options are.

damn...I thought it was 60k. Should have read the manual, huh?!?! I've changed it every 60k and I'm at 181K now and I was worried. Sh*t...

There's nothing wrong with that. If you live in a climate which is harsher/colder (which I believe it is in Maryland, it IS recommended that you do it every 60k so it wasn't a bad thing at all.

My son has a 2003 Protege5, 77,000 miles. He recently installed an amp and sub. He travels 60 miles a day, to and from college and work. He noticed his fuel economy and performance has declined, check engine and ABS light have come on. On his way home last night, the car quit running, while driving. He kept it in gear to try to kick start and didn't work. Parked it on the side of the road.
He stated that it was knocking when he was trying to kick start. I figured, maybe because it was turning over, but not sparking. It has all the lights and power accessories working and turns over, but will not start.
I have no clue when it comes to these computerized cars, but I feel I'm mechanically inclined enough to fix it. Could it be the alternator, timimng belt or ECU?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

The problem with non interference engines is that they can still bend valves when the timing belt breaks if you attempt to start it or roll start it. Knocking equals bad.

Pull the valve cover off and see if the timing belt is there and intact and go from there

Also there are quite a few members in North Carolina that may help you out

Back