Tightening E-Brake

Flagship

:
2003 P5
Is ther ny way in hell to tighten the handbrake response. I'm not a fan of ricing around, but it's just so fun. My handbrake blows though, as I have to yank the hell out of it at semi-high speeds to lose any traction. On the other hand, my best bud/hetero lifemate has a Hyundai Santa Fe with a STIFF handbrake. I love it. Give it a slight yank and I'll have him throwing out "oh-s***'s" and afterwards a "that was awesome!" I want this in my P5! How?

Thanks,
-Frank

There are two places to tighten the brakes:
-the allen key on the rear calipers
-A bolt under the center console

I would mention that new fluid, steel braided brake lines, and better brake pads help too!

:D

Well you also have to remember you have rear disc brakes, they are run hydrologically instead of the Hyundai, which probably has drum brakes which can lock up through just pulling of the e-brake handle. So totally locking the rear brakes must be done with pedal movement as well, which defeats the fun of sliding the rear around.

There are two places to tighten the brakes:
-the allen key on the rear calipers
-A bolt under the center console

:D

Are the allen key and the bolt basically do the same thing in the same way? If the e-brake force can be so easily adjusted by the bolt in the center console, who would bother to find the allen key?
A stupid question...but I'm a newbie! :D

Josh

Well you also have to remember you have rear disc brakes, they are run hydrologically instead of the Hyundai, which probably has drum brakes which can lock up through just pulling of the e-brake handle. So totally locking the rear brakes must be done with pedal movement as well, which defeats the fun of sliding the rear around.

The Santa Fe has rear discs belive it or not.

Are the allen key and the bolt basically do the same thing in the same way? If the e-brake force can be so easily adjusted by the bolt in the center console, who would bother to find the allen key?
A stupid question...but I'm a newbie! :D

Josh

Not stupid... I want to know too

Well the allen key is to adjust the travel of the piston for the rear brakes. If they were not adjusted correctly when new pads were put on, that would cause problems with rear braking in general. So it is a good idea to make sure the rear allen bolts are adjust if you just got the car and do not know whether you or a shop adjusted them correctly.

If the rear allen bolts are adjusted correctly it allows a better and more accurate feel when you tighten up the bolt in the center console. That bolt is just for adjusting the braking brake, but you could see why if the rear brakes are not adjust right it would not matter as much about the console bolt.

I hope that helps and maybe check your rear brakes to make sure they do not need changed.

Oh, and do not feel bad about asking questions. That's why these forums exist.

So how often should you have to adjust the bolt on the E-Brake? I was told on some cars that if you drive it in reverse kinda fast and then stop really quick, that it would allow for the ebrake to do it self adjusting stuff. Is this true or does this person not know what they are talking about.

So how often should you have to adjust the bolt on the E-Brake? I was told on some cars that if you drive it in reverse kinda fast and then stop really quick, that it would allow for the ebrake to do it self adjusting stuff. Is this true or does this person not know what they are talking about.

No need to drive reverse really fast!

This is true for any vehicles with rear drum brakes (some GM vehicles had small drums inside of the rear disc ('90 Chev. Lumina for example).

For pure rear disc brakes this isn't necessary.

Back