Very odd - Auto Start ~Locked in Keys???

This has now happened twice.

Car in driveway, used OEM Remote Start. About 10 mins later I went to leave, as I was walking up to car, I realized I forgot something. I was close to passenger door so I hit OEM RS button twice, unlocked ALL doors, put some stuff I was holding on front passenger seat. Fearful that the car would shut down soon (I think it does after ~15mins), I put key in ignition, turned forward to disengage AS. Went back in house, returned maybe 3-5 mins later and all the doors were LOCKED and the car was running?(boom01)

WTF?

Anyone know why?

If the factory remote start is anything like my aftermarket one... the remote start system will not disengage until you put your key in the ignition, turn to on, and then press the brake. If you do not press the brake the RS stays in control of the car. Hopefully one of the other factory owners can confirm. Hope that helps.

This has now happened twice.

Car in driveway, used OEM Remote Start. About 10 mins later I went to leave, as I was walking up to car, I realized I forgot something. I was close to passenger door so I hit OEM RS button twice, unlocked ALL doors, put some stuff I was holding on front passenger seat. Fearful that the car would shut down soon (I think it does after ~15mins), I put key in ignition, turned forward to disengage AS. Went back in house, returned maybe 3-5 mins later and all the doors were LOCKED and the car was running?(boom01)

WTF?

Anyone know why?

The exact same thing happened to me. Big snow storm, remote started it, then went out to brush it off. Didn't want it to turn off while I was brushing off so I turned the key forward. And shut the door.

A few minutes later the car locks but keeps running.

Fortunately I have the advanced key so I still had the key with me even though it was running. But neither remote was able to unlock the car, and the advanced button on the outside did nothing. I had to pull the emergency metal key out and use that in the lock.

so I guess you have to press the brake in a situation like this.

I had this happen to me 2x in the mountains brushing off snow.etc.. I didn't try hitting the button on the Remote start the first time. I kept trying the black buttons on the doors and the unlock button on the smart key. Nothing...

So I took out the small metal key the first time.

Second time I used the button on the remote start control and unlocked it.

when you use your remote starter to start the car, it becomes your gateway so in essence, the remote start button will unlock the car. This is the same as the quick stop feature. so even after you turn the ignition to ON then come out to do whatever, the doors will automatically lock. pressing the buttons on the door handle and/or pressing unlock button on the smartcard will not work. only way to unlock is to either use the key or pressing the remote start button.

Well at least I am not the only one.

Hey did you guys know about the quick leave feature?

When you run into a gas station, you can leave the car running.

With car in park and running, hit the RS button 2x and then the horn will honk and I think lights blink. Turn key to off position, pull out and get out of car, lock and go into store.

I really like this, especially for the quick runs into Starbucks, gas stations etc...

GOBLUE!

Well at least I am not the only one.

Hey did you guys know about the quick leave feature?

When you run into a gas station, you can leave the car running.

With car in park and running, hit the RS button 2x and then the horn will honk and I think lights blink. Turn key to off position, pull out and get out of car, lock and go into store.

I really like this, especially for the quick runs into Starbucks, gas stations etc...

GOBLUE!

I guess I don't understand the point of this? Why wouldn't I just leave the car running and lock the doors and take the smart key with me?

Are you saying I need to pull the piece of plastic out of the ignition area?

After reading the many many pages in the manual about the smart key I'm glad I don't have one. Same goes for the remote start. Guess I'm old fashion in some ways? Ed

when you use your remote starter to start the car, it becomes your gateway so in essence, the remote start button will unlock the car. This is the same as the quick stop feature. so even after you turn the ignition to ON then come out to do whatever, the doors will automatically lock. pressing the buttons on the door handle and/or pressing unlock button on the smartcard will not work. only way to unlock is to either use the key or pressing the remote start button.

The button on the door works for me with the remote start. The only instance it doesn't is the one I described above. I know the manual says that it won't work, but mine does.

I did this with the aftermarket remote start kit on the maxima, but my kid was in the car and not old enough to unlock the doors.

After engaging the remote start, I hit once for the driver, twice for all doors. I have to put the key, turn it to on, and then press the brake to disengage the remote start, which then leaves the car running. Sounds like maybe when you put just the key in and turn it to on, after 5 minutes the remote start turns off, but the key is left in the on position. My guess would be that the doors automatically lock when the remote start disengages, leaving you with a locked running car.

Happened to me once too....I am paranoid now and still don't understand this...

Until someone knows with 100% certainty how their remote starter works, they should *always* keep their keys on them.

Besides, 15-20 minutes of idling is completely unnecessary and irresponsible to the environment. It's been between -20 and -40 all week here and all it takes is 2-3 minutes until the CX-7 is good to start driving and throwing out some warm air.

Hell, it was -24 this morning and all I did was start it, brushed the snow off my car (20-30 seconds) and away I went.

After engaging the remote start, I hit once for the driver, twice for all doors. I have to put the key, turn it to on, and then press the brake to disengage the remote start, which then leaves the car running. Sounds like maybe when you put just the key in and turn it to on, after 5 minutes the remote start turns off, but the key is left in the on position. My guess would be that the doors automatically lock when the remote start disengages, leaving you with a locked running car.

Exactly what happens. You HAVE to touch the brake to re-gain control of the car. IE it will re-lock itself EVEN WITH THE KEY IN THE IGNITION unless you regain control.

Funny because it happened to me once and I learned my lesson, then today I remote started it, cleaned the snow off, wife put the kid in and got in herself and turned the key on but did not hit the brake (she was in the pass. seat) and it relocked but kept running.
Wouldn't have happened either time if we had hit the brake.

Simple - when you use remote start - the advanced key becomes inoperable.
So you have to open the doors with remote start remote :p

It's not that simple. Read my posts above.

I suppose you could make it that simple and just pretend that the advanced key doesn't work.

I know how to open my doors with the remote starter...I have a GT no tech package. Here's what happened to me....I used remote start.....then went by passenger door opened it and stuck my key in and turned it like normal....closed the door. I walked around to the drivers side door a few minutes later to leave and all my doors were locked with the keys inside!!! Why would they have locked?

I know how to open my doors with the remote starter...I have a GT no tech package. Here's what happened to me....I used remote start.....then went by passenger door opened it and stuck my key in and turned it like normal....closed the door. I walked around to the drivers side door a few minutes later to leave and all my doors were locked with the keys inside!!! Why would they have locked?

Because you didn't touch the brake pedal to override the remote start system. It doesn't know your key is in the ignition until you touch the brake pedal, once you touch the brake pedal it's checking the key status. If it's in the ignition, the car goes into its normal operating mode. If you touch the brake pedal without the key in the ignition, the vehicle turns off

^Exactly what he said. Thought I said that in my first post? Aftermarket alarms work this same way...

Back