08 MS3 OIL LEAK from rear main seal

(puke) Brand new with only 518 miles car has leak from rear main. Went to install MS CAI and there it was-- clear clean oil droplets right where engine and tranny meet. Took it to dlr.

Dlr gave me a loaner from Enterprise- get this- a KIA Rio very disgusting condition with over 34,000 mls. I guess it is better than nothing. More dents and dings on that car than on my 85 yr old grandma. What is funny the enterprise attendant made a big deal about inspectiong car before I left. I just said "mark your check list DENTS, DINGS, SCRATCHESE ALL OVER". I guess If I had boobs I would have gotten a better car.

What do you think of the leak?? Is this typical? Any one with similar issue? thanks

thats wierd, cause my car is going to the dealer on tuesday for this. my last oil change i noticed a tiny bit of oil btwn the tranny/engine. oil has never hit the ground as my car is always parked over night in my garage. i found it by accident. 12.5k miles, car has a TBE on it. ill find out 100 percent on the 22, looks liek a main seal to me

What is a TBE? and let me know what dlr tells you??

I will keep you informed as to what they diagnose on my car. I did speak with the service writer and they added oil dye and drove the car for 3 miles, left it running and nothing showed. Ofcourse they wiped it down first before all the test. He also said they would drive it again tomorrow so more.

What is a TBE??

DID YOU check the oil,

TBE=Turbo Back Exhasut

did you measure the oil from dipstick?? that is one thing i did not do, to see if engine oil was low?? my oil never hit the garage floor either, but then again it has that plastice cover and it to was clean.

did you check your plastic cover to see if oil had dripped down?

My engine was clean-- no oil splatter or spread just that drip. Must be the cover that prevents the spread.

TBE does that include a down pipe??

my car has nevre burned any oil, so i kind of speechless about this. When i mean never burned oil, i mean not even a drop.

my car has nevre burned any oil, so i kind of speechless about this. When i mean never burned oil, i mean not even a drop.

yeah me too, my oil is always the same from change to change except for turning black, sucks about the seal...

i honestly dont even know what it is. i tried tracing it and its impossible cause it so tiny. Well, hopefully mazda will be able to replicate the problem lol, cause i dont fee like wasting my day for them to say they dont see anything or to come back when it gets worse

No, my car is stock to the bone. NO mods.

it could still be a problem, even stock. the pcv might be too small or inadequate, and, depending on how you drive, the crankcase is seeing excessive pressures and some of the seals might be compromised. it's just conjecture at this point, obviously, but it couldn't hurt to vent the block. it just would not pass a visual inspection, but for many that's not a problem.

on my built sohc honda, which was 12.3:1 compression and spun decent rpm, i had to eliminate the PCV and vent it from the stock seperator tank to a vented breather tank. i also vented the valve cover to the atmosphere.

Dealer update .... ... .... .....

Got the MS3 back today from dlr. They found no LEAk. They put engine oil dye and ran the car for 15 miles-city and hwy. It so happens that the factory rep was at the dlr and said that many times the MS3 will show an oil stain between trny and engine but it is not a leak but from the assembly. Beats me??

The service writer gave me more engine dye and told me to drive it around for awhile and check it out. So my next oil change (I do my own oil changes)at 3500 miles or so, I will check it out with the purple light and if I see a leak IT WILL GO BACK.

I will keep you posted

Its possible its from assembly, I know when im putting marine outdrives together I use tons of grease and oil on the various shafts and seals, so when it goes in the water, I gurantee a mini oil slick for the first day. It freaks out my customers, but there isnt really a way around it.

lets hope thats all that you have going on.

I just got my car back from the dealer, they put a tracer in it, ran it with a black light and said my oil pan gasket had a small leak in it, replaced the oil pan gasket and gave me the car back....im going to wait a week or so before i put all my parts back on cause for some reason i have a gut feeling that it will come back

I just got my car back from the dealer, they put a tracer in it, ran it with a black light and said my oil pan gasket had a small leak in it, replaced the oil pan gasket and gave me the car back....im going to wait a week or so before i put all my parts back on cause for some reason i have a gut feeling that it will come back

You are still under warranty? (shocked)

my thing is you said cleen oil right. if it was in the engine it should have some darkness to it. even a new engine is going to show up dark after you turn it over that first time.

Back