Post-626 Intake Manifold Install Question...Brace?

leetpcguy

:
2001 Miata
So i've sucessfully installed the 626 manifold onto my MSP. I've heard that it is necessary to install the bracket that holds the manifold up from under it, but it seems too short and too far away. Anybody come up with a solution to this?

first I have heard of this one...I am interested to see the answer.

However..I feel that the answer will be that you dont install it.

But i've read from multiple places that without the brace, you risk cracking or snapping the manifold at the flange. I just don't want that to happen.

it's true that with manifolds you can risk breaking/cracking them w/out the support. it's extra unneccesary strain on the manifold. brace it.i have however, not seen this on an intake mani.. more on a turbo mani.

The 626 mani IMO is much lighter than the oem protege manifold. I removed the brace from my OEM a couple years ago, and never had issues like u metioned. A 626 is currently bolted up with no brace, and im sure it will also be fine.

The brace seems to be about a half inch too short and a half inch away from the manifold. The latter is easy to fix, but i do not know how to make the brace "longer" without cutting it and welding more material in...which i don't know how to do

I just did this install this past Friday and I can say my stock bracket would have fit fine had I not also installed a thermal spacer as well. This pushed the IM about 1/4" further out so the bottom of the bracket was about 1/4" from the block. I just added some washes to be used as spacers and bolted everything right back up. I suppose you could always try to just drill out the holes a little...

i just my manifold and need some help

Like the title says i just got my 1997 626 manifold today and i need to know if i can use it. It is from the 2.0 626 but it does not have the vtcs in it so im alittle confused.

screw the brace, sits on there just fine without it.. just an extra hunk of metal to get in the way, ive had no issues what-so-ever not having it on my 626 mani

i installed mine last summer and i actually ended up cracking my PG mani when trying to install it to the back bracket so i bought another one and i just didnt attatch it to the bracket. no problems here and i run my car pretty hard once in a while.

I installed mine and used washers as well, I also have thermal spacers so the distance was not as much, just use more washers. I think I used three on mine. For all the nonbelievers, xelderex's 626 mani broke at the flanges due to not having the brace. Better safe than sorry. It isn't always about the weight that is on it, it has a lot of room to flex there. Side note is that he races pretty hard and this was on a dedicated race car. I still was not about to chance it, as I do autox my car.

Smells like a yr or model or model yr variance in play here of some sort (summons statistical geniuses)

yup mine is just a little off... i think some washers would do the trick but then the mounting bolts are kinda short.

Just to update this thread, It turns out the holes in the brace on the part connected to the block are oval, a.k.a. adjustable. I loosened the nuts, moved it up slightly, and it fit no problem.

So there you go.

yup mine is just a little off... i think some washers would do the trick but then the mounting bolts are kinda short.

I had enough thread on my bolts to get it on, but you could always jsut source two longer bolts with the same pitch.

Back