How the AWD works in the CX-9

Mazda3

:
2007 CX-7 GT and 2008 Tribute GT AWD
At the request of a CX-9 member I am posting some info on the AWD and TCS on the CX-9. I posted this info in the CX-7 forum about a year ago, but some CX-9 members will find it useful.

Here is the explanation right out of the Mazda training manual:

"The CX-7 is equipped with Mazdas new active torque split all-wheel drive system, which
debuted on the MazdaSpeed6, featuring a more aggressive transfer of torque to the rear
axle in accordance with driving conditions. This intelligent system achieves a satisfying
balance between the interactive control over the vehicle that makes it particularly enjoyable
to drive, and confident handling stability necessary for snowy, wet or other uncertain road

surfaces/conditions; engine power and torque are faithfully and efficiently transferred to the
road surface for maximum performance.
The active torque split AWD system uses real-time data input on steering angle, yaw rate,
lateral G-force and engine status to determine road surface and driving conditions. The CX7
s onboard computer then automatically determines which of three different modes of
front/rear torque distribution should be engaged: Normal, Sport, or Snow (for slippery
surfaces). The active torque coupling mounted in front of the rear differential is
electronically controlled in accordance with the data provided by the computer, adjusting
front/rear wheel torque distribution between 100:0 and 50:50 to deliver optimum drive
power to each axle. The result is that the most power and traction are made available under
all conditions; positive acceleration and confident handling are provided regardless of
constantly changing road conditions, as well as the ability to fully balance the vehicle in a
turn by skilful use of the accelerator pedal.
Unlike many competitor offerings, the torque transfer system in the CX-7 seamlessly
integrates the inherent stability of all-wheel drive; because the active torque coupling is
controlled electronically, it can react to wheel slippage much more rapidly than conventional
gear- or fluid-controlled systems. To ensure consistent power delivery under all weather and
driving conditions, the Power Take-Off (PTO) system on the centre differential that
distributes torque to the rear axle is fitted with its own liquid-cooled cooling system. "

Once the computer has shifted into snow or sport mode it pre-loads the rear axle so you don't have to wait for slippage. As oppossed to the system in the 01-04 Tribute where the wheels had to actually slip before the AWD kicked in.

For those debating the TCS system here is the blurb from the manual on that:

"The braking system works in synergy with the CX-7s Dynamic Stability Control (DSC),
incorporating a traction control system (TCS), to exhibit an outstanding level of active
safety. The Dynamic Stability Control system is designed to activate when the vehicle is
taking a turn too quickly for the road conditions. DSC compares the driver's intended
direction (from the steering wheel angle) to the actual vehicle path; if the system senses
understeer or oversteer, it applies braking force, and reduces engine torque if required, to
correct the situation.
Traction control systems generally come in one of two primary systems: an ABS-based
system, or an engine management system. Both systems use the ABS wheel speed sensors
to determine if there is wheel spin (wheel speed greater than vehicle speed). The CX-7
system uses engine management to reduce the amount of power output by reducing fuel,
ignition timing and throttle position to reduce wheel spin. This system is superior to systems
that use the ABS brakes to slow down the spinning wheel ABS systems have a tendency
to be very jarring in their operation and can overheat the brakes if used for extended
periods of time. The CX-7s traction control system (TCS) deals with the problem of the
engine supplying too much power for road conditions right at the source; when wheel spin is
detected, the TCS simply reduces the engines power output until the wheel spin stops.

Please feel free to ask questions, I'll help as best I can.

How do you shift into snow or sport modes in a CX-9?

"Once the computer has shifted into snow or sport mode it pre-loads the rear axle so you don't have to wait for slippage. As oppossed to the system in the 01-04 Tribute where the wheels had to actually slip before the AWD kicked in."

You don't.
The compute makes the decision to shift into which mode for you.
Someone on other board claims that our CX9s are not equipped with the PTO (Power Take-off) system. Can you confirm this? I can't be sure either way from reading the WorkShop manual.

The CX-9 has the same set-up with the sport mode or PTO as they call it.

AWD quit

Has anybody else heard of this? I was up in the mountains and my AWD quit. I ended up sliding to the side of the snow covered road, and only the left front tire would spin. Then the TCS light would flash and that tire would stop. When I would turn the TCS off, I could hear multiple clicks coming from that wheel.
We got pulled out after hiking to the top of a mountain to get cell phone service.
Took it to the dealer on Tuesday morning. As of Friday, they called and said they think it is electronic, but have a call in to tech support (LOL). They said that once they figure out the electronics, then they can check the mechanical.
2007 CX-9 Touring AWD 30,000 miles.

Has anybody else heard of this? I was up in the mountains and my AWD quit. I ended up sliding to the side of the snow covered road, and only the left front tire would spin. Then the TCS light would flash and that tire would stop. When I would turn the TCS off, I could hear multiple clicks coming from that wheel.
We got pulled out after hiking to the top of a mountain to get cell phone service.
Took it to the dealer on Tuesday morning. As of Friday, they called and said they think it is electronic, but have a call in to tech support (LOL). They said that once they figure out the electronics, then they can check the mechanical.
2007 CX-9 Touring AWD 30,000 miles.

Wow, that's not good. Keep us posted. How did it work before it quit? I haven't taken mine up in the snow yet.

Problem resolved maybe.

The dealer called today and said that the AWD module and the rear solenoid had gone out and needed to be replaced. They expect to have it back to me tomorrow afternoon. Dropped it off a week ago Tuesday morning, and get it back a week later on Tuesday afternoon. They said that when the AWD module went out, I was basically the same as FWD. It was a drastic difference, especially on gravel roads or snow and ice. I definitely would recommend the AWD over FWD.
I hope that the fact that it took so long to diagnose means that this is somewhat unique and not that the dealer is not knowledgeable.

I've been driving my AWD GT on some pretty slippery snow and ice covered roads, but the car has never switched to AWD (or at least I can't tell). I only see the brief flash of 4WD light in the speedometer when I start the car, but never when it is running. Is that normal? I've been pretty aggressive as well with the car sliding, so not sure why it doesn't kick into AWD.

Problem still...

I got the CX-9 back from the dealer today, Wednesday, after they had it since last Tuesday, and they told me it was just a faulty AWD module. However, I decided to try it a bit on a section of dirt. The TCS light flashed and the AWD flashed and stayed flashing for about a minute. In other words, I think there is more problems that they didn't fix. Before this, the AWD never came on, even on ice and snow.

When the AWD light apperead on a few other CX-9's here, it was a bad transfer case or something like that. The Ford Edge has the same one with the same problems.

So if I'm interpreting the last two messages correctly, the car will go in and out of AWD without me knowing? There's no indication that it is in the AWD mode and the light is really indicating a problem with the AWD system?

So if I'm interpreting the last two messages correctly, the car will go in and out of AWD without me knowing? There's no indication that it is in the AWD mode and the light is really indicating a problem with the AWD system?

That is correct. The AWD system is seamless. You should never know there isn't power to rear tires all the time. The 4wd light is a problem light. The only light you should see flashing is the car with the tire marks when the DSC kicks in.

Like some of the others said it doesn't feel like we are getting AWD in the snow. We just got some nice snow in MA on Friday (8-12" with more today) I took a ride to the grocery store with a hidden motive of testing the AWD system. I our long drieway I goosed it and basicaly slid around typical of my front wheel drive cars. Pulling out of the snowy grocery parking lot onto the main road was the same, lots of front tire spinning with the TCS light on, never felt any help from the AWD system. Any suggestions?

Like some of the others said it doesn't feel like we are getting AWD in the snow. We just got some nice snow in MA on Friday (8-12" with more today) I took a ride to the grocery store with a hidden motive of testing the AWD system. I our long drieway I goosed it and basicaly slid around typical of my front wheel drive cars. Pulling out of the snowy grocery parking lot onto the main road was the same, lots of front tire spinning with the TCS light on, never felt any help from the AWD system. Any suggestions?

I did the same thing last week. When I went to work Tuesday morning my street was snow/ice covered (rare here in Albuquerque). I decided to take the opportunity to test the AWD. Each time I floored it, it accelerated nicely, straight as an arrow, no flashing lights of any kind on instrument panel. I laid on the brakes several times too, causing the anti-lock to kick in each time, so I know the roads were slick.

In my case, AWD seemed to work as intended.

I have to say that I am super impressed with how much the control systems allow when you are trying to have fun. If I give it enough gas around a corner, it will drift just perfectly... the TCS and stability control don't kick in for quite a while. But if I accelerate slower and start to slide/spin, it all kicks in pretty quick. Man, I love when it snows a bunch.

hmmm...you got my curious to give my AWD system a try. There is a lot of snow on the ground here in Portland. Seems like these seemless systems can be seemlessly not working and there isn't a good way to know for sure until you get into bad conditions and even then you don't really know one way or the other.

hmmm...you got my curious to give my AWD system a try. There is a lot of snow on the ground here in Portland. Seems like these seemless systems can be seemlessly not working and there isn't a good way to know for sure until you get into bad conditions and even then you don't really know one way or the other.

I convinced my wife to stand outside and watch to see if the rear wheels were spinning or just the fronts (fresh 8" of snow). Turns out the rear were also spining, so looks like the AWD system works, just the tires suck :) The snow today is deep and wet makng it super slippy, I had to put chains on the snowblower to clear the driveway, that was a first.

Back