Timing Belt or Chain?

chengdave2003

:
2007 Mazda 5
Does anyone know for sure if the 2007 Mazda 5 (2.3 Liter engine) has a timing belt or does it have a timing chain? I'm sure hoping for a chain!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Dave Young

(cabpatch)I don't know about all the Mazda engines but the 2.3 in our 5s is. And that is the only one that matters to me. I asked that question while I was still in the showroom, the poor salesman thought I was gonna kiss him. Hey when you put 40K a year on a car these things matter....

When I asked the salesman he looked at me like I had horns on my head probably wondering why I would ask such a "stupid" question....

Dave

(cabpatch)I don't know about all the Mazda engines but the 2.3 in our 5s is. And that is the only one that matters to me. I asked that question while I was still in the showroom, the poor salesman thought I was gonna kiss him.

I went to Gates (as in Gates belts) and found a chart that shows not only the vehicles that use belts, but which are interference engines, and which are not. The website is at http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=2256&location_id=3487&go=TBHome . Then go to Timing Belt Replacement Guide. It shows vehicles through 2003.

Dave Young

Negative, my KL along with MX6, MX3, 626, and Millenias are timing belts and mine is snapped at the moment lol, so trust me I wish it was a chain.

I don't see whats the big deal of having a timing belt is
but anyhow, timing chain engines tend to be a bit noisier due to the gears that drive the chain.. and they're more complex which means if there's any problem with the engine and has to be torn down, there's more labor involved

timing belt engines are quieter, and allows for easier work on the engine.... especially if you plan on making modifications to it... it's easy to change cams and "adjust" the timing on them if you have a timing belt... on a chain its not so easy

I guess it's a matter of perspective and personal preference. I don't find a chained engine noisier than a belted engine. I also find replacing the water pump on an engine with a chain a great deal easier as you don't have to tear down the front of the engine, remove the timing belt and then replace the pump. I also find that chains last far longer than most belts (I've never seen a recommended change period for a chain, whereas a belts recommendation is somewhere between 60,000 and 125,000 miles, depending on the make/model

I guess if I was going to hotrod the engine, I could see your point. But if I was going to hotrod a car, first it wouldn't be my wife's new minivan...and even if it were, I probably wouldn't stay with an inline four. And if I were going to stay with a inline four, I'd probably go with a geared timing setup where gears are used verses a belt OR a chain. Not to mention, replacing a timing chain isn't that much harder to change than a timing belt, once you have the engine tore down that far. I don't know what's more complex about a chained timing gear than a belt. Certainly you have the sprockets, but you don't have to worry about the tensioner (and those have to be replaced occasionally also).

I've never been left on the side of the road with a broken chain. I have been on the side of the road with a timing belt that the teeth had tore off. And unfortunately, that car had an interference engine.....and yes, it did a great deal of damage to the engine....

I've worked on enough of both kinds of cars. Given two cars that are otherwise identical; one with a belt and one with a chain. I prefer the one with a chain.

Just my .02 cents....

Dave Young

I don't see whats the big deal of having a timing belt is
but anyhow, timing chain engines tend to be a bit noisier due to the gears that drive the chain.. and they're more complex which means if there's any problem with the engine and has to be torn down, there's more labor involved

timing belt engines are quieter, and allows for easier work on the engine.... especially if you plan on making modifications to it... it's easy to change cams and "adjust" the timing on them if you have a timing belt... on a chain its not so easy

^^I agree. My main reason for preferring a timing chain is the durability. With a belt the question is WHEN will it fail, with a chain the question is IF. I put a large amount of miles on my cars, always have, probably always will, and it is a comfort to me to not have to fuss with a timing belt replacement every three or so years ( at approximately 600-1100$ a shot) And lets face it, the manufacturers didn't switch to belts because of noise. A dealership service tech sternly informing Mrs Knownothing that her five year old car needs a 4,500$ new engine because she didn't get the timing belt replaced at 75K is another name for engineered obsolescence.

Chain

Chain gang!
med_gallery_29_8_84515.jpg

Back