Welcome to the James Barone Racing Forum - Upgrade your Mazda with High Quality Parts at Great Prices from JBR!
Upgrade your Mazda with High Quality Parts at Great Prices from JBR!

Thread: Timing Belt or Chain?

Registered Member

2007 Mazda 5

Timing Belt or Chain?

Does anyone know for sure if the 2007 Mazda 5 (2.3 Liter engine) has a timing belt or does it have a timing chain? I'm sure hoping for a chain!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Dave Young

Registered Member

Timing chain.

Registered Member

2007 Mazda 5

Excellent! Thank you!!!!!

Registered Member

Really? All mazda engine are chain? Exept the rotary maybe

more ideas than money slvrsleeper's Avatar

2007 Mazda5 sport 5mt True Silver

I don't know about all the Mazda engines but the 2.3 in our 5s is. And that is the only one that matters to me. I asked that question while I was still in the showroom, the poor salesman thought I was gonna kiss him. Hey when you put 40K a year on a car these things matter....

Done so far: clear marker lights, LED interior bulbs, XM radio, K&N filter, heater duct CAI, tweeters, piano black steering wheel spokes, HID, Progress rear bar LED rear brake and turn signals 5% tint on rear windows DIY sound-proofing Pioneer 6X8s Nexo TS-10 Bronze 17x7 Nexen N3000 215/50-17
    In progress:restoration of a 1940 Cadillac
    In the future:bankruptcy caused by^^

Registered Member

2007 Mazda 5

When I asked the salesman he looked at me like I had horns on my head probably wondering why I would ask such a "stupid" question....

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by slvrsleeper View Post
    I don't know about all the Mazda engines but the 2.3 in our 5s is. And that is the only one that matters to me. I asked that question while I was still in the showroom, the poor salesman thought I was gonna kiss him.

Probe GT, Mazda 2

Quote Originally Posted by dmesthetic View Post
    Really? All mazda engine are chain? Exept the rotary maybe
    Negative, my KL along with MX6, MX3, 626, and Millenias are timing belts and mine is snapped at the moment lol, so trust me I wish it was a chain.
    2011 Mazda2: HR Springs, K&N, Racing Beat muffler, CS antenna

Current: 1995 PGT, 1998 Subaru Forester
    Gone: 1993 PGT- Scrapped, 1992 Mazda MX3- Sold, 2004 VW Beetle 1.8T- Traded in

Registered Member

2007 Mazda 5

Timing Belt or Chain?

I went to Gates (as in Gates belts) and found a chart that shows not only the vehicles that use belts, but which are interference engines, and which are not. The website is at http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?br...3487&go=TBHome . Then go to Timing Belt Replacement Guide. It shows vehicles through 2003.

Dave Young

Quote Originally Posted by PGTBrow View Post
    Negative, my KL along with MX6, MX3, 626, and Millenias are timing belts and mine is snapped at the moment lol, so trust me I wish it was a chain.

Registered Member

Mazda 5 GT

I used google to search for 'timing belt vs timing chain'. I found this explanation. Looks like timing belt is a must in those stages where they are still 'fine tuning' the engine. Very easy for mechanics to change components, adjust timing, testing, etc.. Interestingly, The website does not mention the advantages of a timing chain. lolz.

http://www.valvoline.com/carcare/art...cid=4&scccid=5

I don't see whats the big deal of having a timing belt is
    but anyhow, timing chain engines tend to be a bit noisier due to the gears that drive the chain.. and they're more complex which means if there's any problem with the engine and has to be torn down, there's more labor involved

timing belt engines are quieter, and allows for easier work on the engine.... especially if you plan on making modifications to it... it's easy to change cams and "adjust" the timing on them if you have a timing belt... on a chain its not so easy
    TheMAN
    '01 BJFP MT
    '05 BK3P HB AT

For Protege and Mazda3 info, come see the Protege FAQ

Registered Member

2007 Mazda 5

I guess it's a matter of perspective and personal preference. I don't find a chained engine noisier than a belted engine. I also find replacing the water pump on an engine with a chain a great deal easier as you don't have to tear down the front of the engine, remove the timing belt and then replace the pump. I also find that chains last far longer than most belts (I've never seen a recommended change period for a chain, whereas a belts recommendation is somewhere between 60,000 and 125,000 miles, depending on the make/model

I guess if I was going to hotrod the engine, I could see your point. But if I was going to hotrod a car, first it wouldn't be my wife's new minivan...and even if it were, I probably wouldn't stay with an inline four. And if I were going to stay with a inline four, I'd probably go with a geared timing setup where gears are used verses a belt OR a chain. Not to mention, replacing a timing chain isn't that much harder to change than a timing belt, once you have the engine tore down that far. I don't know what's more complex about a chained timing gear than a belt. Certainly you have the sprockets, but you don't have to worry about the tensioner (and those have to be replaced occasionally also).

I've never been left on the side of the road with a broken chain. I have been on the side of the road with a timing belt that the teeth had tore off. And unfortunately, that car had an interference engine.....and yes, it did a great deal of damage to the engine....

I've worked on enough of both kinds of cars. Given two cars that are otherwise identical; one with a belt and one with a chain. I prefer the one with a chain.

Just my .02 cents....

Dave Young

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    I don't see whats the big deal of having a timing belt is
    but anyhow, timing chain engines tend to be a bit noisier due to the gears that drive the chain.. and they're more complex which means if there's any problem with the engine and has to be torn down, there's more labor involved

timing belt engines are quieter, and allows for easier work on the engine.... especially if you plan on making modifications to it... it's easy to change cams and "adjust" the timing on them if you have a timing belt... on a chain its not so easy

more ideas than money slvrsleeper's Avatar

2007 Mazda5 sport 5mt True Silver

^^I agree. My main reason for preferring a timing chain is the durability. With a belt the question is WHEN will it fail, with a chain the question is IF. I put a large amount of miles on my cars, always have, probably always will, and it is a comfort to me to not have to fuss with a timing belt replacement every three or so years ( at approximately 600-1100$ a shot) And lets face it, the manufacturers didn't switch to belts because of noise. A dealership service tech sternly informing Mrs Knownothing that her five year old car needs a 4,500$ new engine because she didn't get the timing belt replaced at 75K is another name for engineered obsolescence.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Mazda5 Sport 5-Speed

Chain

Chain gang!
    AIM WO4
    2007 Stellar Greensilver Sport, 5-Speed, K&N CAI, 18% tint, MS3 18X7 Gunmetal Wheels with 225/40-18 Fuzion ZRi

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1968 Green/Gray Chevrolet Impala Coupe (SOLD)
    1974 Chocolate Brown Toyota Celica GT (Given to Brother)
    1979 Ford F-150 Daytona Ed Pick-up w/ 460 (SOLD)
    1972 Ford Courier P/U (Given to Dad)
    1978 Red BMW 528i (SOLD)
    1976 Orange Ford Taunus (Wrecked by Roommate)
    1988 Red Ford Mustang 5.0 GT (SOLD)
    1967 Black Mercury Cougar w/390 (375HP) (SOLD)
    1974 Gold Jeep Wagoneer (SOLD)
    1991 Gray Toyota 4Runner (SOLD)
    1987 Black Ford Capri 280 (UK) (SOLD)
    1997 Green Saab 900 SE Turbo Coupe (SOLD) 1996 Green Toyota 4Runner (Spouse)
    2001 Blue Saab 9-5 Turbo Sedan (SOLD)
    2000 Silver Saab 9-5 G.F. Ed. Wagon (SOLD)
    2007 Stellar GreenSilver Mazda5